Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Spitting up & Nipple Pain... recommendations?? advice????

Exclamation Spitting up & Nipple Pain... recommendations?? advice????

Hello Ladies... I have 2 questions ....

1. My LO (he is turning 3 weeks tomorrow) will get very fussy then burp and spit up, Then he will continue to fuss, so I give him a pacifier, he spits it out, then I will finally give him the breast and he is content. Then after the burp, he will spit up some more. It seems like he is eating too much. Is that possible? I am only giving him breast milk, primarily from the breast, occasionally from the bottle. This is my first time not using formula with my childern, so I am not quite sure of what is "normal". Am I over-feeding him?

2. I have some nipple pain when I get a let-down and especially when my LO takes his first few sucks. After the first few (maybe 5 -10) it doesn't hurt anymore, unless he is doing a really hard and deep suck, then that hurts at first also. Is this normal?? I have some lansinosh (sp?) but I don't use it consistently, I am not sure if it actually works. Will this initial pain go away, or will it be there forever?? I think that he is latched on correctly because the pain does go away, and I try to make sure that his mouth is open wide when he latches on. Are there any suggestions to make the pain go away?? Should I put the lanolin on more often?? BTW - I don't have cracked nipples or anything like that.

Thanks in advance for your help

Default Re: Spitting up & Nipple Pain... recommendations?? advice????

Hi and congratulations on your new LO! In answer to your first question, you probably don't need to worry about it. Many babies get a little gassy and need to burp or spit up regularly. It really isn't a problem. Their digestive systems just aren't completely mature yet. It is fine to put him back to the breast if that is what he wants. Babies learn to regulate the milk flow(unlike with bottles where it flows much more easily), and can nurse without taking much milk if that is what they want. You don't really need to worry about overfeeding. Sometimes they may overeat a bit (especially if you have a really strong milk ejection reflex) and then spit up, but it usually isn't anything to worry about - just a normal part of development.

Regarding your second question, many moms experience soreness in the initial weeks of breastfeeding, usually due to some initial imperfections with latch and positioning. However, there are also other causes. It is a good sign that the pain goes away after the first few sucks. This does mean that he is likely latched on correctly and the pain should start to subside with time. No, it definitely should not go on forever! Also, some moms have some discomfort with let down in the beginning as well. I believe that this also usually gets better with time. If the pain seems to be getting worse, or doesn't improve, definitely seek some help from a LLL leader or lactation consultant.

Some spitting up is definitely normal. The entrance to your baby's tummy is just a little weak and the muscle that usually closer off and keeps food down is letting some food go back up. You can't really overfeed a bf baby if you just let them nurse as much as they want. Like pp said, they make get excess milk or air from a strong letdown but that will get better as time does on. Sounds like you're doing great!

As for pain, bfing doesn't hurt once you get the hang of it. I had lots of pain for the first 9 weeks due to engorgement and then thrush, and didn't believe my friends who said it didn't hurt. But of course we got over all those things and now it doesn't hurt at all. I would also suggest you get an LC or LLL leader to check out your latch and just make sure it's good. Also, if you do have strong let-down, your baby might do some funky things with his tongue to try to slow down the flow. We had this issue and I don't think there's much to do about it, it will just get better as your milk flow regulates and your baby gets better at it.

You're doing great! Keep us posted.

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

Looks like all the pp have given great advice here! I don't have anything to add except it does get better and it sounds like you're doing a great job BF'ing your baby.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Thank you ladies for your answers to my questions. I will give it another week with my mild pain, and if it continues, I will go check the initial latch on. Thanks so much for the support and encouragement.

Hang in there girl!!! Like the ladies said, the wrong latch can hurt. Also try other positions.. I am lazy so I like to use the cross craddle, but he latches on so much better in the football hold...
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)