Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

View Poll Results: If you had to choose: Canned organic foods VS. fresh non-organic foods

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'd buy canned & processed organic foods

7 11.67%
  • I'd buy fresh non-organic foods

18 30.00%
  • I'd buy some of each, canned organic & fresh non-organic

35 58.33%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Organic canned vs. cheap fresh

Default Organic canned vs. cheap fresh

I am curious what you WOULD do:

We can not afford all fresh organic food, unfortunately. I've tried and our money just gets flat drained to the point that we scrape for other needs, and that simply won't do. Our local market, however, recently launched a store-brand line of organic canned & processed foods, which are about as affordable as name-brand non-organic products. (Not super cheap but affordable & not extravagant.)

So, IF you were under these circumstances, what WOULD you choose:
    Canned organic foods, or, fresh non-organic foods?
    Or would you get some of each (what we're doing right now - some canned organic & some non-organic fresh.)

Default Re: Organic canned vs. cheap fresh

We didn't buy organic for the longest time because of the money factor. Now we buy some organic. A couple of thoughts:
    (1) Some fresh organic produce actually is not much more expensive than regular. For example, grapes and apples are about the same price here.
    (2) Did you see the thread that lists the foods that are most pesticide-laden ("dirty dozen")? We try to buy the "worst" foods in organic varieties (again, grapes and apples are on the list.)
    (3) Read labels. If a canned product is organic but you read the label and the RDA of everything is zero, it's probably not worth it.

Finally, if something is really expensive, we will buy organic for the kids and eat/drink the non-organic version ourselves, like milk.

ETA: I picked the third choice but I guess I'd really say "other" based on my comments.
    Last edited by mollyb; August 6th, 2007 at 01:29 PM.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Quote Originally Posted by mollyb View Post
    (2) Did you see the thread that lists the foods that are most pesticide-laden ("dirty dozen")? We try to buy the "worst" foods in organic varieties (again, grapes and apples are on the list.)

worst pesticides - the "dirty dozen"

when it pays to buy organic

more on when to buy organic
    Last edited by lsksam; August 6th, 2007 at 01:39 PM. Reason: added another link
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I also try to by all organics for the kids. For dh and I we eat mostly organic, especially the "dirty dozen". I have noticed an increase in our grocery bill, but I just pick and choose so we can swing it.

We have had great successs finding reasonably priced frozen organic -- Is that an option for you?

Mama to DD Mariah 04/03 2lbs 8oz BF 2yrs 1 day!
    DS Ryan 07/06 4lbs 15 oz No solids until 18 mo's!
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" Gandhi

We didn't buy organic for the longest time because of the money factor. Now we buy some organic. A couple of thoughts:
    (1) Some fresh organic produce actually is not much more expensive than regular. For example, grapes and apples are about the same price here.
    (3) Read labels. If a canned product is organic but you read the label and the RDA of everything is zero, it's probably not worth it.

Finally, if something is really expensive, we will buy organic for the kids and eat/drink the non-organic version ourselves, like milk.

ETA: I picked the third choice but I guess I'd really say "other" based on my comments.
    with everything molly except....eat/drink non organic version. Maybe ok for DH but if I'm breastfeeding and I know you were/are/will be. I would treat myself as I would the baby since I am feeding her/him.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Quote Originally Posted by mothersky View Post
    with everything molly except....eat/drink non organic version. Maybe ok for DH but if I'm breastfeeding and I know you were/are/will be. I would treat myself as I would the baby since I am feeding her/him.
    That's a good point. For the most part I do eat organic, but I have been drinking non-organic milk. I will have to rethink that... Thanks.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

We eat all organic. Sometimes I can't find organic, and that's okay too. I shop at Target over the local "discount" store because they have the widest selection of organic produce. If you don't mind me asking, how much is your monthly grocery budget?

We have stopped buying any prepackaged foods (think cheez it's, soda, everything bad basically) and use that money toward more produce. When money is tight here I shop organic based on the dirty dozen as PP's have said.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

I knew that some people would not be able to choose one of the poll options, but if I had made other options it wouldn't help me much, especially if lots of people had voted for those. I only listed what's possible for me because I wanted to see what others would do IF they were in my shoes. Does that make sense? Sorry if that seems kinda selfish!

Molly, I can think of only two places near my house that sell fresh organic food, and it is too expensive for us at both of them. I've tried and it just wasn't working. When we find something reasonable, we buy it. But we can't get it all, not even close. And OT, but IMO, the hormones (rBGH) in non-organic milk scare me a lot more than the pesticides in produce. However, DF & I don't drink milk so I don't know how much it costs... Yet! Also, yeah I read the dirty dozen, it's been going through my head every time I buy non-organic fresh food!

Brooklyn Mama, the store I was talking about with store-brand organics has frozen stuff too. I plan to check that out but I doubt they'll have all the fruits & veggies we need.

That's a good point. For the most part I do eat organic, but I have been drinking non-organic milk. I will have to rethink that... Thanks.
    Gotta look out for my little preggers.

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingPrisms View Post
    We eat all organic. Sometimes I can't find organic, and that's okay too. I shop at Target over the local "discount" store because they have the widest selection of organic produce. If you don't mind me asking, how much is your monthly grocery budget?

We have stopped buying any prepackaged foods (think cheez it's, soda, everything bad basically) and use that money toward more produce. When money is tight here I shop organic based on the dirty dozen as PP's have said.
    If you really like the cheez-its, etc. There are organic versions. You can also do popcorn sprinkled with organic shredded cheese to ease that craving. The cheese melts on the popcorn and it's yum!

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!