Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 32 of 40 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

Default Re: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

I subscribe to the "LACTNET" emails (for LCs - even though I'm not even an LLL Leader! LOL), and saw this interesting blurb in one of the posts:

". . . one suggestion is to decrease the mother's intake of PUFA's. Additionally, avoiding or decreasing foods and water with high free iron or copper content."

There weren't any citations, but still very interesting information from an expert (Jenny Doncon, Breastfeeding Counsellor, IBCLC, Australia)

PUFAs are polyunsaturated fatty acids, and include omega-3s and omega-6s. Someone mentioned flax seeds being the apparent cause of their issues at some point on this thread (I don't have the energy to see if I can figure out who, though).

I take iron supplements due to a strong tendency towards anemia, so the "high free iron" would describe me. Unfortunately, I develop a whole host of health problems if I don't take the supplements, so I guess I'll just have to keep scalding.

Just throwing this out, in case anyone else thinks it might be useful for them

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bjtzctmama View Post

So my question is...can I boil water in a pot and put the medela bottle directly in the boiled water with the freshly pumped milk? If so, how long will that take to make it to 180 degrees? And when it says to "cool" it does that mean just pull it off the burner or does that mean to put it right in the fridge to literally cool it. Thanks!!
    I use a glass measuring cup to scald mine, I put it in a small pan of water with water to the level of the milk, turn heat on high and usually just do something else until I hear it rattling (it cues me that the water is boiling). Then I go and sort of watch until I see small bubbles forming around the edge. I've done it enough times that I just know what the milk looks like now. I used to use a candy thermometer though.

I would think the issue with scalding using the medela bottles (unless they are glass) is that they would be so light that it would be too risky of it falling over into the pan of water. That would be a tragedy.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ethele View Post
    I subscribe to the "LACTNET" emails (for LCs - even though I'm not even an LLL Leader! LOL), and saw this interesting blurb in one of the posts:

". . . one suggestion is to decrease the mother's intake of PUFA's. Additionally, avoiding or decreasing foods and water with high free iron or copper content."

There weren't any citations, but still very interesting information from an expert (Jenny Doncon, Breastfeeding Counsellor, IBCLC, Australia)

PUFAs are polyunsaturated fatty acids, and include omega-3s and omega-6s. Someone mentioned flax seeds being the apparent cause of their issues at some point on this thread (I don't have the energy to see if I can figure out who, though).

I take iron supplements due to a strong tendency towards anemia, so the "high free iron" would describe me. Unfortunately, I develop a whole host of health problems if I don't take the supplements, so I guess I'll just have to keep scalding.

Just throwing this out, in case anyone else thinks it might be useful for them
    I don't think any of those would apply to me I have heard excercise can effect it...that probably wouldn't apply to me either though

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeannie.bean View Post
    I don't think any of those would apply to me I have heard excercise can effect it...that probably wouldn't apply to me either though
    Yeah, me neither

I found another interesting piece on lipase. I ran across a mention of serum-stimulated lipase, with the claim that only this type of lipase from breastmilk is active in a container - bile salt stimulated lactose needs the bile salts in a baby's gut to activate. So I did a little research, and ran across this interesting study showing that serum-stimulated lipase quatities seem to vary throughout the day, but not bile-salt stimulated. It shows double the serum-stimulated lipase at 10:00 AM as at other times of the day . . . interesting.

It's a very small sample size (6 mothers), but since there isn't much research on the topic, it seems worth persuing even such small studies for ideas.

I really wish that someone would have told me about excessive Lipase before. I have 4 1/2 month old twins (preemies) and just discovered that my frozen milk is bad. I have thousands of ounces of frozen milk (4 freezers full!) that I now have to throw away (pumping almost 2 gallons a day). My boys were taking the milk fine, but today I smelled something funny and realized that the milk was bad. It has been in a deep freeze and was just thawed this morning. I literally cried when we tested milk from Mar, Apr, May and June and found that they were all bad We were at Stanford and our local hospital and no one told me about this being a possibility. Thank you so much for all the info. I am going to start scalding my milk and testing it to see how that works. Hopefully scalding will work and I'll be able to start getting my backup supply up.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lucasandtylersmommy View Post
    I really wish that someone would have told me about excessive Lipase before. I have 4 1/2 month old twins (preemies) and just discovered that my frozen milk is bad. I have thousands of ounces of frozen milk (4 freezers full!) that I now have to throw away (pumping almost 2 gallons a day). My boys were taking the milk fine, but today I smelled something funny and realized that the milk was bad. It has been in a deep freeze and was just thawed this morning. I literally cried when we tested milk from Mar, Apr, May and June and found that they were all bad We were at Stanford and our local hospital and no one told me about this being a possibility. Thank you so much for all the info. I am going to start scalding my milk and testing it to see how that works. Hopefully scalding will work and I'll be able to start getting my backup supply up.

Wait!

If you haven't thrown out the frozen milk .... from what I understand even if it smells / tastes bad if baby takes it it is FINE!

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/l...essedmilk.html

Most babies do not mind a mild change in taste, and the milk is not harmful, but the stronger the taste the more likely that baby will reject it.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lsksam View Post
    Wait!

If you haven't thrown out the frozen milk .... from what I understand even if it smells / tastes bad if baby takes it it is FINE!

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/l...essedmilk.html
    Don't throw it away if they are taking it!! I would start scalding from now on, but it won't hurt them to drink the old milk even if it tastes bad to you.

with pp's...I didn't discover my high lipase problem until I went back to work and DH tried to feed DS some frozen milk that was maybe 2 weeks old...what an awful day that was for both of them. But prior to that, DS would take milk that had been in the fridge 3-5 days without any problem. After I realized what had happened with the frozen milk (with info from this thread, actually), I checked some that was in the fridge and while it didn't smell/taste nearly as bad, it was still gross to me...but DS still took that without any subsequent problems. Since then, I scalded all my milk without any problems. Gosh, I hope you didn't toss all of your stash! It broke my heart just to throw out the 20 or so oz I had built up...

And btw, plenty of healthcare workers have no idea about this. I told my OB/GYN and she hadn't heard of it...I'm not even sure she believed me!

Married to Jake 10/7/06
    1st time mommy to Luke 6/24/09 1 week early but right on time. Was finally able to enjoy after good help from these wonderful ladies.

Now back to these great forums with the arrival of little girl Meghan 5/6/12 ...2 weeks early, but still right on time. Successfully delivered naturally this time around!

I am SO happy to have come across this thread in a google search for "breastmilk with soapy aftertaste"! My DD (9 months) refused a bottle at daycare for almost a month - I feel terrible that it took me that long to taste my milk and discover how awful it tasted!

I thought that lipase problems don't develop over time? DD used to take a bottle of BM just fine. Confused.

I bought a small 1 qt saucepan that has spouts for pouring, so I don't lose much milk in the process. I scald my milk the night it's pumped unless DD will be drinking it in less than 24 hrs - I've discovered that it won't last 24 hrs in the fridge. I pour it directly in the saucepan because it's so much faster than "double boiling". Only takes a few minutes to get to 163. Then I pour directly into a glass bottle and put it in the fridge.

This is so depressing. I have 2 boxes full of Medela bags full of milk from the past 6 months and every bag I've thawed tastes horrible. I looked up milk banks but I live in the middle of nowhere in Wyoming so can't drive to any of them, and the Denver one only takes milk less than 5 months old.

And my 9 month old DD still nurses every 2-3 hours so it's awful not to have a freezer stash anymore - that was my "safety net" so that I could be away from her if need be.

Anyway. It does help to see so many other women dealing with the same problem.

I'm back...I had the lipase issue with number one so I've been scalding my BM after having number 2 in May. I froze a couple bags without scalding just to see and one I took out today was smelly. The scalded stuff isn't as bad, but smells a little. I don't think I heated it as much as (or as long as) I was supposed to. Thankfully he took it...just not in the bottles DD liked best.

Time to reread the threads and updates.
    Jennifer (30) DH (38)
    DD 10/9/07 Abigail for 15 months and survived 6mos of at work.
    DS Ethan 5/14/10 for almost 15mos and at school(teacher) and entire school year...10 months.
    Taking a break from until my next baby...TBA.