Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 31 of 40 FirstFirst ... 21272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

Default Re: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

Hey... Well I've pumped two small bottles of milk (2 oz and 2 1/2 oz). I put them in my bottle warmer and let the temp go up to 145 and set my timer for 1 min. cooled the bottles in ice water and then froze them right away in the medela bottles. How long should I wait to thaw them to see if it worked? If it didn't work does that mean I should let the temp get up to 162 for 15 sec? I've seen others use that method... let me know your experience.

I left my test batch in the freezer for one week. Then I let it thaw, tasted it and put it back in the freezer. I did that again the following week and the week after that. So far (3 weeks later) my test batch is still fine. My unscalded milk was gross after 2 weeks.

Personaly, I am trying not to be too paraniod about it. Dealing with has been stressful enough with out me worrying that my solution (the scalding) won't actually fix the problem!

I haven't been that exact in my scalding temps & times. Some places online say one then and then another place will say something else. At a minimum I be sure that my milk hits 145 for at least one minute, but doesn't go higher than 180.

Ok, so I only got to page 9 of this thread before DD started crying, so I need to make this quick. My frozen milk has the funky metallic smell, but DD will drink it happily (as of now). Will this hurt her or is it ok for her? If the answer is somewhere in this thread plz let me know.

Thanks!!
    Happily married to my BFF since 10/20/07 (after dating for 3 and a half weeks!!!)

Had Madelyn 2/4/10

her for 11 1/2 months, but then I lost all my milk...

Due to being with #2!!!

Kevin arrived 7/2/11

He is absolutely perfect!

[QUOTE=@llli*maddysmomma;905624] My frozen milk has the funky metallic smell, but DD will drink it happily (as of now). Will this hurt her or is it ok for her? [QUOTE]

There is nothing wrong with the nutrition of your milk if you have excess lipase. If your baby still drinks the bad tasting milk then get on your knees and thank Jesus! My baby won't drink it and I didn't realize I had this problem until I had 400+ oz of frozen milk in my freezer.

You'll want to read through this thread. It is so helpful. If your baby stops wanting to drink the funky milk in the future, you can find ways to stop it from happening (scalding). All that info is in here.

I have excess lipase in my breast milk, which requires me to scald any milk that I want to store for more than 24 hours. I wrote a blog post detailing how I scald my milk. If any of you are looking for scalding tips you can read my post below.

Excess Lipase: Scalding Breast Milk

I have two other posts about excess lipase in breast milk:

Excess Lipase: An Introduction

Excess Lipase: An Emotional Struggle

When I discovered that I have excess lipase in my milk I was desperate for information. Hopefully my blog an help another "desperate" mom.
    Last edited by @llli*Rebekah42; November 29th, 2010 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Updated URLs

This thread has been very helpful except I can't read thru all 31 pages so I just thought I'd post my question

My son is 10 months old and my husband and I will be leaving him for 5 days in 11 days. I had pumped 150oz and froze it but then over the last few days realized my son won't take the thawed BM. I tasted it and it's HORRIBLE! So over the next 11 days I plan to pump 130oz (or more if possble) and scald it. I scalded 12oz from today but the entire process is a pain and I don't really have the time to experiment on what works and what doesn't.

So my question is...can I boil water in a pot and put the medela bottle directly in the boiled water with the freshly pumped milk? If so, how long will that take to make it to 180 degrees? And when it says to "cool" it does that mean just pull it off the burner or does that mean to put it right in the fridge to literally cool it. Thanks!!

I can't answer the first part - I scalded directly in pan and used thermometer to get right temp. I can answer the cooling part, though - cool rapidly - I put the pan in ice water to cool it down. Good luck!

Is there a specific reason to cool rapidly? Bc the first 8oz I scalded I just pulled off the stove and set aside. The last 4oz I put right in the fridge.

According to my DH, yes - cooling too slowly allows for more bacterial growth. Please do not quote me on that, though - I just trusted him and did not research it.

ETA. This was his reasoning - I remember him using the "danger zone" phrase. http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/t...quickly-048957
    Last edited by @llli*mama-cpa; May 24th, 2010 at 02:14 PM.

Thank you! I'm new to this "scalding" thing . It went immediately in the freezer so hopefully it's ok. I will use an ice bath when I pump tomorrow.