Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 29 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

Thread: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

Default Re: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

Okay, I know this is an old thread, so I may not get an answer, but I would like to lay out a few different scenarios and get an opinion of what might be best to do. but first, some specifics about my situation.

1. I pump 3 to 4 times per day. the first is at about 8:30Am and the last at about 3:30PM.

2. I work 4 long days. I am away from home from 6:45Am until 5:30 or 6:00 PM. And from Fri to the next day I work on tuesdays is a 4 day stretch!

3. I cannot take too much more time to deal with the breast milk during my work day because i am pushing it as it is doing up to 4 pumping sessions per day, so I do not think I can do the bottle warming method or scalding at work.

4. My pumped milk starts to taste icky during the day, but is not too, too terrible after 24 hours - when the DC gives it to him, give or take an hour. My DS will drink it, but he is not terribly happy about it and I think he drinks less on those days then he would if I had scalded the milk.

5. I mark each bag with 1,2,3, etc so my DC knows which to give first.

6. When I take my milk from work at about 4:15 or so, it does not get home and back in my fridge or freezer until about 6pm.

7. I use the little black medela coolers with the ice packs.

8. I get 10-12 ounces in the AM and only about 3 by the afternoon.

9. At this point making sure my DS gets enough milk is not a concern. He is in the 90th for weight and the 70th for height. Big boy!

So, which should I do?

1. Pump and keep in the fridge at work, bring it home for the 1.5 hours of DC pick-ups and commute home in the cooler with ice pack, put it in the fridge at home and hope that he drinks it at DC the next day?

2. Pump and keep in fridge at work, and when I get home, mix it all up and scald the whole thing and then store it in the fridge for the next day? I would be hoping that the mixed scalded stuff will be only a little nasty tasting, even though the majority of it was pumped earlier in the day?

3. Pump and put right in the freezer at work and then have it end up thawing just a little bit for the 1.5 hour DC pick-up and commute home and then pop in the freezer again when I get home?

4. Do any of these scenarios need adapting for the 4-day weekend stretch?

Many thanks for this fantastic thread!

Welcome new moms! Way to keep the thread going!! Post back your successes and lessons learned to help other moms too

lgwenette
    Your post reminded me of why I only tried stove top scalding about 3 times. There was a fine line between scalding, boiling, and scorching and I scorched all that milk. The bottle warmer method was so much easier and better for me... perhaps it's worth a try for you as well?

ajkenney23
    I don't know the exact numbers for what is lost due to scalding and don't recall seeing it anywhere. If it's possible I'd likely try to give some close to fresh expressed when you can or at least for a fraction of feedings. Is that possible?

plartist
    What do you do at work? How long is a pumping session? Is there another outlet spot available where you pump? I wonder if there is another scenario to what you posted... if all of your milk is not lasting until evening before tasting a little funny -- is there any way to scald some milk from one of the earlier pumping sessions by using a bottle warmer during a later session? This way it's not really "extra" time for scalding but more like using some of the same time you are already doing. I used to do that at times and it worked out ok for me. So, I'd put the water in the warmer and get it heating while I assembled my pump parts, start pumping, drop the previous milk bottle in -- and scald previous milk while pumping new. I wonder if this might help it so some of the earliest pumped milk would be ok. Then whatever you didn't get to scald at work, you either finish at home or use that as the first feeding milk for the next day.

Caroline

DS1 6/08/06
    DS2 5/26/09

My goodness I can't believe this thread is still being bumped, I'm so happy mom's are getting the help they need though.

For Plartist:

I would go with option 2, pumping and keeping in the fridge as you go, mixing it all up at home and scalding it. I tried keeping it frozen, which did have the best taste, but it was a NIGHTMARE for my poor DCP. Warming up milk, versus have to thaw the milk took a lot of time. Poor baby just screamed his head of if they weren't able to do it quick enough, they can't microwave it it just had to sit in the warmer for a really long time. They use a large crock pot too, so if you think about the frozen bottle going in with the others, it also messes up the water temperature for any other bottles they may be trying to warm at that time.

Best of luck to you ;-)

My Little Reverse Cyclers
    *DS born July 2006, nursed 3 yrs 10 mos!
    *DD born January 2011, happily nursing and bucking the bottle just like big brother
    *One Angel baby we sadly never met July 2009

Happily married to an amazing man who puts up with all my craziness since 1999.

Thank you so much for this forum, as it is really the ONLY help on the internet for this problem! I can keep my milk in the fridge for about 48 hours and baby will still take it. But if I scald it after 48 hours, it sours right away. So unless I know we will use it within the 48 hours, I have to scald it right away.

I just purchased the recommended Munchkin bottle warmer, and this makes scalding much easier! I also bought the recommended digital thermometer. Thank you to other moms for both suggestions.

I am heating the milk to 160 degrees. Is this the right temp? Then I cool it in ice water, double bag, and store in freezer.

My question: I have been scalding the milk in the Medela bottle I pump in. Is anyone uncomfortable with repeatedly heating the plastic bottles? Wondering if I should buy glass bottles or specifically BPA-free bottles for scalding?

I use a bottle warmer to scald to 145 for 1 min.

I use the medela bottles that are bpa free. No not worried.

My lipase also seems to kick in after 48 hours so unless I know it will be used within that window always scald. For example on Friday I scald everything that I've pumped and freeze. For dcp on Monday I pull from freezer stash. The rest of the week I pump and it gets used the next day.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

lunaticlibrarian :wave: nice to see you!
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

HI LADIES!
    I just want to say that this thread has been a lifesaver! I have been having a horrible time getting my baby to take a bottle, and it has resulted in pretty extreme reverse cycling. Like, barracuda baby all night long!!! Anyway, I found this thread and sat down the other day and read the entire thing. Start to finish.

It has saved my life!!! I have been using the bottle warmer to scald and things are going much better. haha...baby is taking a whole two ounces from a bottle at a time now. (HUGE improvement!)

So, thanks!

Csan-Now that I have discovered this lipase problem, I try to give her as much fresh as possible and store the most of the scalded for later. My biggest is worry is using the stored for after her surgery. I have been storing all this milk so that we will have enough in hospital and when we come back home. Do you happen to know at what temp the antibodies are lost or are they so sensitive they are destroyed during the heating process?

I have started conducting my own experiments on the stove eye with a digital thermometer. I froze small bags of one ounce at different temps and different lengths of time in the fridge to see the difference.
    1. My milk can last up to three days now in the fridge, yea! It tastes good too and does not contain an odor. Anything longer, I really do not want her drinking.
    2. I opened a bag from the freezer that was a week old and warmed to 145 degrees. It had sat in the fridge for 12hours. Of course it did not taste as good as the fresh or the milk that sat in the fridge, but it was still good enough for her to eat.

Next I think I will indeed try the bottle warmer and see what the difference is there.

Oh yea, I forgot to ask if anyone would know the rules for how long the scalded milk is good after reheating? Is it the same as formula, one hour, or is the two hour rule of regular breast milk ok? If the answer is in the thread somewhere, will you let me know where. I think I have read all the threads but might have overlooked this piece of information.

Thanks for this forum! I had never even HEARD of lipase before reading this discussion thread. I went immediately to the fridge and tasted a bottle of EM from a couple days ago...DISGUSTING!!! I'm heading back to work on Monday and now will be heading to Target tomorrow to buy a bottle warmer and start building my supply back up! I had about 80 ounces saved up...it KILLS me to throw it away....