Thread: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

Default Re: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

*big Bump*
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*csan View Post
    Welcome.

Interesting about the gallbladder - I don't know if it's related or not, but fwiw I've had my gallbladder out also. Anyone else?
    I didn't have mine removed, but I had an attack one week after giving birth. I refused to have surgery when my baby was only 9 days old so my doctor told me to go on a low/no fat diet. I did that for a couple of weeks and I haven't had a full attack since, but I'm pretty sure my gallbladder isn't working properly.

It makes sense to me that our bodies are working to produce an enzyme to break down fats and then that gets transferred through our BM.

Hi to all you wonderful mamas who have posted on this thread! I'm joining you in the lipase problem.
    One question that I have that might have already been answered is if I scald my milk, DCP gives her the scalded bottle and she refuses or drinks very little, is it ok to put it back in the fridge and try to feed it to her again later? Or should it just be tossed after the feeding attempt?
    DD (7/23/08) self weaned at 17 months
    DS (6/20/10) nursing like a champ

Save the milk - don't toss it. If she drinks a little you can save it and offer it later. There is nothing wrong with that. Since it's scalded - it's not going to turn back into lipase yuck.

Also - to ease your mind it may be helpful for the adjustment period try to have DCP offer smaller quantities more often i.e. 2 oz vs. 4 or 6 until you see what she's willing to take.

Exclamation Re: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

Re: Thermometers and getting a good reading for temperatures

Hi!

I recently found out I have the lipase thing going on with my breast milk. I did some experimenting and the scalding works well for me. I've read that people use candy thermometers for temperature readings.

As a restaurant inspector for the health department, I want to offer these tips for getting accurate temperatures:

1. When first obtaining your thermometer, always check its accuracy. You can do this by putting it into a glass filled with ice. Add water just until the ice floats. Wait for your thermometer to register a final temperature - depending on whether or not it's digital or bi-metal, this may take a few minutes. Make a note of how far off your thermometer is from freezing.

2. If your thermometer allows you to calibrate it, do so! Follow the manufacturer's directions for your model. You can also read how to calibrate bi-metal dial stem thermometers here:
    http://www.foodsafety.wisc.edu/asset...ion_thermo.pdf

3. When taking temperatures with a bi-metal dial stem thermometer, make sure the thermometer is inserted at least 2 inches, or, depending on the model, to the small dimple or divot in the stem. Bi-metal thermometers need a large surface area to register change of temperature. If you are only inserting the tip, you won't get an accurate measurement of temperatures. This may be a problem for mums that only have a little in the bottle to scald. I would suggest a digital thermo or a narrower diameter bottle in order to get a good reading.

4. Be patient. Bi-metal thermometers often will "jump" to a higher temperature and level off. Wait until the reading is stable for at least 15 seconds.

5. If you can afford it, purchase a digital thermometer. A good all-purpose digital thermometer runs about $20-25. The model that our department recommends to our restaurants owners and managers, the Comark PDT-300, can be purchased online for around $20. While this may seem pricey, keep in mind that you can use it for checking temps on a lot of other stuff (Thanksgiving turkeys, steaks on the grill, chicken, etc.). This thermometer has a very thin tip (good for burgers), reads quickly, is waterproof, and when I am scalding milk, I can perch it on the edge of the bottle in my Munchkin warmer and it gives me a constant readout. It also comes with a cap - I put a magnet on it and my thermometer is always in easy reach on the fridge. You can Google search for it, or read about it on their website at http://www.comarkltd.com/product.tpl?product_id=164

6. Always wash and sanitize your thermometer in between uses. Our department uses alcohol pads, but you can use soap and water and allow your thermometer to air dry. This is especially important if you use your thermometer for more than just your milk. You don't want to cross contaminate between raw foods, like meat, seafood or eggs, to foods that are ready to eat, such as breastmilk, fully cooked foods or other foods that won't get a heat treatment before you eat them. I can't stress this enough because of how susceptible our little ones are to foodborne illness bugs like salmonella or e. coli.

Another thing you can use your thermometer for is to check the temperature of your refrigerator to make sure that it's cold enough. Just put your thermometer in something fairly solid that's been in your refrigerator for awhile. The final temperature should read between 41F to 45F, with 41F being optimal.

Hopefully this helps not only the scalding process, but keeping things safer in the kitchen!

Cheers!

Carolina Girl

Mum to Eirik the Red

Awesome info. carolina girl - thank you for sharing!!

OK. I've read about this all over this forum as well as other internet sites. I'm still pretty sick when I think about how much breast milk I have in the freezer that I'm going to have to throw away.

I had baby #2 in March. Baby #1 is 7. I had problems with not having enough milk the first go 'round, so I've been pumping like crazy this time. I actually have the opposite problem now - too much milk.

I stayed home from work for 2 months and stockpiled milk like I was saving up for the nuclear holocaust or something. By the weekend before I was supposed to go back to work, I had in excess of 400 ounces in my freezer. It was at this point that I discovered that my frozen milk smells and tastes rancid. I hit the internet and found loads of information about excess lipase, scalding, etc. I sure wish I'd figured out I had this problem BEFORE I stockpiled so much milk. I didn't have the lipase problem 7 years ago - only the supply problem.

Of course this can't be easy. I fixed one problem only to have it replaced by another. I know it's worth it, but breastfeeding is for sure the hardest thing I've ever done.

Now I have the added problem that the baby isn't nursing well. He prefers the bottle. That breaks my heart and stresses me out because now I'm back to freaking out about pumping enough to give him only breast milk while I'm at work. Who would have thought that would be a concern with 400+ ounces in the freezer???

So, what causes excess lipase? If I didn't have it before, it seems that maybe there's something in my diet or my prenatals that's causing it this time. I've read a lot about how to deal with it, and I'm happy to report that scalding the milk is doing the trick. I just hope I can stay ahead with the pumping since all I've done before was basically for nothing. Despite all the information about lipase causing the rancid smell/taste and great tips for making the problem go away, I've yet to find anything that explains what causes some Moms to have excess lipase. Has anyone else seen any such information?

I'm taking a different brand of prenatal vitamins. I'm also taking a DHA prenatal vitamin. I didn't take that before. Could that be causing the problem?

At this point I'm just curious. While scalding is kind of a pain, it does seem to work. I nurse the baby or give him freshly expressed milk every chance I get, so I'm OK with some of the milk he gets being scalded. Even though some of the nutrients might be lost in the process, I still think it's better for the baby than formula. The damage is done whether I figure out a cause for the problem or not. I'm doomed to be scrambling to keep up and have enough milk to feed the baby without supplementing. Nothing can be done to salvage the GALLONS of milk I pumped and froze before I discovered that I have this problem.

Waaaaaa Waaaaaa Waaaaaa!!!! POOR ME!!!!!!!!

Have you ever let the milk thaw without heating and given it? I think a lot of times it is the heat that makes it smell.

And not all lipase milk will taste bad...and some LO's will still drink it just fine.

We had this problem and I didn't even know what it was, but he always drank it and I stopped heating it, because it was only when I heated it that it got the smell.

Good luck mama.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Thanks for the advice about letting it thaw and not heating. We've definitely found that it's worse if we let it sit in the fridge to thaw then heat it rather than going strait from freezer to heating for the bottle. I haven't tried just letting it thaw. So far it seems that the longer it sits before he eats it, the worse it is. I'm psyching up to cut my losses and toss some of the frozen stuff this weekend. Man, I wish I had figured this out sooner...

I don't believe enough research has been done to determine exactly what causes excess lipase. Some moms though have stopped taking things such as their prenatal brand or flax seed and seemed to think that might have helped -- but the jury is still out on that one.

Keep in mind many many milk banks would love to have that milk you are thinking to toss. I didn't know about it before I tossed mine but I know I would have felt better knowing that someone was benefiting from all that work. Might be worth looking into if you are interested.

In the meantime, I feel your pain.

R.e. the bottle - is there a slow flow nipple on there?

I'm glad you found a work-around - it really does get better over time, just becomes something else you do