Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 26 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

Default Re: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

How are you doing? It took me a week or so to make scalding part of the "normal routine".

The milk is ok for your baby to drink if they take it.

I never scalded my milk in a storage bag so I can't speak to whether the bag itself can withstand it. If you are uncomfortable about it, don't do it. I'd scald in the pump bottle (medela) and then transfer to bag for storage or bottle for feeding (I used a different style of bottle for feeding vs. pumping). I never had any issues with this. If you are uncomfortable with the plastic, you could always transfer to a glass container for acalding only and then back to bag or bottle for storage or feeding.

I threw away all my previously frozen milk then I learned later that probably a milk bank could've taken it and used it.

I know this is a lot to take in all at once and there are many pages to this thread but what we all have learned is that scalding won't fix milk that had already had the effects of lipase breaking down the fats. It will only prevent the fresh milk from being affected.

I suspect there has not been more reasearch on this because research requires funding. In general while there are amazing benefits to breastmilk there are many areas of its wonder that could be researched more. Since the composition of each mom's milk is unique and since those with lipase issues are in the minority, those are probably other reasons why there is so little available on the topic.

Good luck and all the best.

Bump
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

Hello all,
    This is my first post on this forum, and I came specifically to ask about lipase issues.
    I discovered my high lipase issue at 4 months pp, after I had over 100 oz. of frozen EBM stored. Once I tasted it, I realized why my DD wouldn't go near it; it tasted like a rusted metal can. Yuck.

In any case, I've done a lot of scalding experiments to try to remove the funky taste, and though I've succeeded, my DD STILL won't take scalded/frozen/thawed EBM. I don't know why, but she just refuses. I've tasted it, and though it doesn't taste as sweet as when it's freshly pumped, it's tolerable.

Has anyone else's LO refused their scalded breastmilk? What did you end up doing? Supplementing with formula? I'm wondering if I could mix the scalded stuff with some formula and see if DD will take it...

I'm asking specifically because I'm looking at putting DD in full-time daycare in two months, at which time she'll be 9 months old. Right now, she doesn't like solids at all, though I'm hoping to be able to coax her into eating them in the next two months. I'll still have to send her with bottles of milk, whether mine or formula, and I don't know how much I can pump the day before...

TIA

Hi Halfasianmomma,

Mine didn't take scalded if I was around ever. Then I thought maybe the bottles were the issue b/c he thought it was going to taste yucky so we switched to sippy cups but he still never took too much at one sitting. Actually when I was at work in the 10 hrs I was gone, the most he ever took was 6 oz total in that 10 hrs from 4 mo to well over a year. He made up for it by drinking a lot at night and I didn't mind as we ended up co-sleeping. How's yours sleeping these days? Mine was usually an up and nursing every 1.5-3 hrs. kid. Exhausting, yes, but it was ok for us. If yours is up a lot at night or you are willing to shift the nursing pattern if your lo needs it then I wouldn't worry too much about how much scalded milk they take. If baby is hungry enough they'll drink it. So long as their weight continues to track ok, I would try not to stress it. Even now, ds is 2.5 and he still never drinks a lot of anything at one time - it's just his nature I guess.

You probably could try mixing with formula but it might not change the situation of how much they drink.

If you expressed fresh and then you left the house and baby with someone else for a few hrs. (and so the milk should still be good) would baby take that milk? I'm wondering if it is just a getting used to taking anything from a bottle that is the issue or if it is really the scalded that's the issue?

Mine was not a big solids eater either especially compared to his cousins but he always tracked on his growth curve...

Good luck and sounds like you are doing everything to try to get this sorted out.

oooh csan, thanks for the quick reply.

We do co-sleep so I don't mind if DD changes her night feeding schedule. It might be rough with getting up in the morning (my parents and extended family are all pressuring me to nightwean).

I hadn't thought of getting someone else to give her the scalded stuff...good idea. She refuses all forms of bottle in favour of sippy cups, so perhaps I'll try to get DH or my mother to attempt a scalded milk feed. I still have about 20 oz. of the stuff in my deep freezer. If it works, I could start pumping/scalding again before going back to work and have a decent stash!!

I'd done test on my freshly expressed milk to see how long it's good if it stays in the fridge. I think it starts to "go bad" after 12-13 hours....so that might shoot my plan of "pumping the day before" out of the water.

Ugh, I *hate* having to go back to work. It's really making my life a big ball of stress. I just want to nurse my LO as long as possible; is that so much to ask for?
    Last edited by @llli*Halfasianmomma; February 14th, 2009 at 01:29 PM. Reason: typo

Oh I forgot one other thing that could help you maybe.

So after baby was about 10 months or so when I went to work this was my morning routine. I didn't think of it until then (not like there was anything magical about 10 months).

Alarm went off 20 min before I had to get up - that was the signal for me to get baby latched prior to me having to get up. He'd nurse then usually sleep some more. I'd shower and DH got breakfast stuff ready and would take care of baby. Then I'd come out and eat some breakfast and pump whatever I had left. That would give me a few oz that DH (who was SAHD) could give first while I was gone -- so this was fresh not scalded milk. Then the later feeds would be scalded stuff. Still though baby didn't drink too much while I was gone but that last pump prior to me leaving for work helped me feel better about it.

Maybe you could try something like this too when you go back and then that bottle or sippy doesn't matter, could be the first that daycare would give and then you would feel better that it was not scalded and maybe baby would drink more... The other thing that did for me was I was able to go from 3 pumps at work to 2 because I had just prumped prior to going home. So then I was able to last until an early lunchtime for work pump 1 and then maybe 3 hrs. later for work pump 2 and then I'd nurse right when I got home.

It's worth a shot.

Going back to work is stressful but since you are doing advanced planning I think you'll be ok. It will still be a huge adjustment but after a week or so it will be normal routine.

I didn't know if I'd even last with bf let alone pump and work but I ended up pumping until ds was just over 2 (switched to one pump at work maybe at 16-18 months or so). So, it can be done, really it can. Where there is a will there is a way.

As far as nightweaning everyone has to throw their 2 cents in and it is amazing. Just do what works best for your family and let their advice go in one ear and out the other. When it's right for your family you'll know and will be able to tackle that at that time. No need to throw that into the mix now with all the other adjustments you have coming up.

Take care.

I have to scald my milk because of excessive lipase. I only pump a bottle for the odd times I go out. I just accidentally boiled some BM. I realized this kills the antibodies and some of the nutrients, but is it unusable if it's boiled? I hate to throw out a whole bottle of milk.

As long as you don't boil all the time I don't see an issue with a one time thing.

bump

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

I am simply AMAZED that this thread is still going after over two years!! First of all I want to say thanks to all you moms who have experimented with the scalding and found simple, quick, & effective ways to do this! My ds was born 2-2-09. He's my third child, and I now know I've had a lipase issue all along, an just thought I was storing improperly. I only pump a couple of days out ofthe week, and thankfully have a baby that doesn't refuse it, but I want to give refrigerated milk instead of always freezing, so I've just purchased the Munchkin warmer, and waiting to test my first batch.

We'll see how it goes tomorrow

***BIG***THANKS***again Ladies! Greatful to have found you all!!

mama to Julia 4/01, Collin 1/04, & Trevor 2/09