Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 25 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Thread: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

Default Re: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

Thanks a lot for your response, it worries me so much and it tears me apart having to feed my baby with the foul smelling milk. For others with similar experience, do share how does your bb reacts to it, shd there be any medical condition in later stage etc etc....I am just plain paranoid now and I don't want to discard some 600Oz of milk in my freezer But will seriously consider investing in a deep freezer....

Like all newcomers, I am SO glad to have found this thread/site.
    I work so I pump during the day, then nurse from evening->morning. My baby was around 4 mo when he started refusing the bottle and after tasting the milk and finding out , I researched and found my way here.
    I've been scalding using a munchkin bottle warmer and tho it took another couple months to get him to trust the bottle not being yucky again, he does drink an ounce here and there.

My new dilemma is that my DH and FIL are gross'd out by the color of the scalded milk - pre-scalding, it would separate out to the creamy and liquidy portions of milk - completely normal. Ever since I started scalding, it has taken on a green-ish, blue-ish hue. My diet didn't drastically change, and I've been taking my multivitamin, calcium supplement, and fish oil capsule since pregnancy. I did a search here at llli and I saw the normal culprits of sports drinks, seaweed and veggies. I don't drink the sports drinks, and I don't think I eat enough seaweed or veggies daily for that to be it either. Does anyone else have this "problem"?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*deuxanges View Post

My new dilemma is that my DH and FIL are gross'd out by the color of the scalded milk - pre-scalding, it would separate out to the creamy and liquidy portions of milk - completely normal. Ever since I started scalding, it has taken on a green-ish, blue-ish hue. My diet didn't drastically change, and I've been taking my multivitamin, calcium supplement, and fish oil capsule since pregnancy. I did a search here at llli and I saw the normal culprits of sports drinks, seaweed and veggies. I don't drink the sports drinks, and I don't think I eat enough seaweed or veggies daily for that to be it either. Does anyone else have this "problem"?
    Glad you found us! I think since your DH and FIL are probably not drinking the milk they will get used to the color, it's totally normal for milk to have a hue to it. Have you seen this link? http://www.llli.org/FAQ/color.html
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLJessica View Post
    Glad you found us! I think since your DH and FIL are probably not drinking the milk they will get used to the color, it's totally normal for milk to have a hue to it. Have you seen this link? http://www.llli.org/FAQ/color.html

Thanks Jessica!
    True true, they aren't the ones drinking it, once it's shaken it turns into a normal color, and LO doesn't seem to complain so I think I'll ignore the men on this one.

Again, SO glad to have found this site! Thanks to EVERYONE that has posted on this thread - it's been so helpful!

UGH! Could it be true for me too? I have over 200 oz of EBM in the freezer, and when thawed, it smells soapy! The thing is...sometimes DD will take a bottle at DC and sometimes she won't. Yesterday, for example, she gobbled up 12 ounces throughout the day before I picked her up, but last Thursday, she drank only 4 ounces!! So I'm not sure whether she's refusing the bottle or the EBM. And, since it varies from day to day, I'm not sure that doing a quick experiment of offering her a bottle of thawed and a bottle of fresh would produce valid results. Any thoughts??
    Mommy to Baby K, born 5-13-08 after 30 hours of labor and a c-section

Pumped for 30 months

3 years of breastfeeding and counting!!!!

I'm a (breastfeeding) (vegetarian) mama!

I don't know that I'd classify the taste of my milk as soapy, but it sure does not taste sweet. I noticed today when making bottles to leave for ds that the smell was off. I put that bottle in the back of line and hoped DH didn''t need to use it. I tasted it tonight and it tastes and smells like formula ( we had to FF our first). I'm wondering if that's the metallic taste others are talking about.
    I don't think I have this issue with fresh, refrigerated milk, only the frozen milk. And it breaks my heart. I had to give up on 50 oz I had pumped because DS has a dairy and soy sensitivity. I was so excited that I have roughly 20 oz for emergency use, and now find out that it tastes smells funny. I wouldn't call it rancid. I'd know if it was rancid, right? Like, when I tasted it I would know for sure it was bad? Or he would get sick from drinking it ( or not drink it at all)?

What I'm' getting is that it's ok to give him these bad smelling/tasting bottles if he'll take them, and it's not harmful, correct?

I"m also going to check into a milk bank for the 50 oz of milk that have dairy/soy in them and we can't use.

I think I'm going to try the bottle warmer trick and see if it makes a difference.

OMG! So happy I found this thread. Like so many others though, I wish I'd known about this before I lost 120oz of frozen ebm. I'm not working, but gosh it was still painful. I've only been pumping because my 3 month old started sleeping 10-12 hours straight at night and my lc suggested pumping before bed to keep my supply up. The pump makes me sore, so I'd stopped that daily pumping session and starting waking her for a middle of the night feeding. Mostly wanted the frozen ebm for when she starts eating cereal and little trips out occasionally.
    I left her with dh Friday night so older dd and I could have a special night out. He called with her SCREAMING in the background. Said she absolutely refused the bottle and that it seemed to just tick her off. I'd noticed when I got the milk out that it smelled a little freezer burned (or so I thought), but didn't think too much of it. We thought she just didn't want the bottle itself. Took me 30 min. to get home and I was stripping in the garage because I could hear her screaming before I even opened the door. She nursed for 5 minutes till she calmed down, then popped off and gave me this HUGE grin.
    I started researching and, through this thread, did a little experimenting this weekend and confirmed the lipase issue. She'll take a bottle of fresh milk with ease. So now, I just need to get going with a new stash.

I do have a couple of questions first though if anyone can help.

I can open the lids on my frozen bottles and tell by smelling them (even still frozen) if they are bad or not. I got out 1 that smelled fine and one that smelled metallic-y today and tested her. She took the one that smelled fine. Screamed at the other. I tasted them and agreed with her opinion. Why are some bad and not others? They're all roughly the same age and I always freeze immediately.
    Also, I don't have a deep freezer. Would it help if I got one to transfer the stuff that still smells ok into it or is it still likely to be lost soon? Don't want to waste the $ and still lose it.
    And, lastly...would the milk store better in bags since there's an airspace in the bottles?

Thanks for being here ladies!

I found this thread absolutely fascinating. While I am frustrated that I had to throw out some milk, I am glad to hear that making lipase is a good thing, not a bad thing for my child. How amazing is it that our milk contains just what our child needs to properly digest every drop of it and get everything out of it! The concept of storing expressed milk is a new one and not the plan nature originally intended so its funny that the roadblock is thrown up to make it harder to do.

I have come completely full circle with my nearly 6 month old son. Originally severely jaundiced with a bad case of abo incompatibility and breast milk juandice, he couldn't nurse when he was at his sickest at just a few days old and I had to feed him by bottle. The doctors told us to do half formula and half breastmilk at the time since that was shown by some scientific study to be the fastest way to clear jaundice.

Once he was better, it took weeks of patience to get him back on the breast. The same thing happened with my first child, actually, so I knew I could do it. At that time even lactation consultants were telling me I should give up. Thank goodness I didn't because my son has reflux and breastmilk is the best thing for him.

Anyway, I'm a stay at home mom and had the luxury of feeding him first hand exclusively. My choice. I hate pumping and since my son was so fussy with reflux I just felt I couldn't leave him with anyone, even for a few hours. He needed me. Now he is older and I tried pumping after he went to bed each night to build up some milk in the freezer for my husband to feed him if I went out shopping for a few hours. Guess what--like so many of you--screaming ensued! I feel so bad we didn't have a clue that it was my milk.

I tasted it myself after about 12 hours in the fridge and it was really gross. Sour, icky tasting. It took a long time for that funny taste in my mouth to go away!

I got a munchkin warmer now and luckily didn't have much milk to throw away. I'm hoping he will take the scalded milk. From refusing the breast to refusing the bottle, now we have come full circle!

Many of you have focused on something in the diet that may be causing you to make more lipase. I would urge you to give that up. It is unlikely to be related! Your breasts are making what the child needs. If that makes it inconvenient when you want to pump and save, that is the extra step you will have to take in order to be away from your child and still use breastmilk.

My husband is an analytical chemist. He said he went to a scientific talk about analyzing breastmilk properties. They have found some amazing things in breastmilk. For example there are prebiotics in milk that change over time to help fight parasites in the infants digestive tract as well as to help mature it. Breastmilk is a miracle. I feel so terrible for the moms who have to work and leave their little ones, which has to be devastating all by itself. But then to find out that months of pumping have been wasted. Makes me want to cry with them!

There are so many things that are mysterious about breastfeeding that need to be brought out in the open. I had some oversupply issues that made my son's reflux harder and so many lactation consultants act like that isn't a real problem when it truly is. Understanding lactation is truly in its infancy. I hope this information about lipase becomes common knowledge so that more woman and infants don't have to suffer the agony this causes!

There even could be more than one enzyme at work here. The taste and smell you all have mentioned varies so much from sour, to rancid to metallic--that it leads me to think there is more than one culprit. Honestly mine was more sour than anything and that suggests an enzyme breaking down the sugar rather than the fat in the milk. I'm guessing the heat treatment will work the same way for any enzyme that is affecting the milk.

Anyway, thank you all for your contribution to this thread. I'm certain it will continue to help many women for years to come.

I discovered I had this problem with my first daughter. I was away on a business trip and tasted my milk so that I would know whether or not it would survive the travel. When I got home I had my husband taste it and he gagged but I chalked it up to improper handling. When I pumped again, I made a point of tasting properly stored milk and again it was horrible. My daughter never did seem to mind though.

Now with my second child, I am beginning to pump so that I can introduce bottles in case of an emergency. I had some milk from 2 days ago in the refrigerator and warmed it up for my son. He only drank 1/2 of it and was crying. I figured he didn't like the nipple on the bottle. After reading this thread, I'm convinced it's my milk.

Instead of buying a bottle warmer though, I'm experimenting with scalding in this way. I microwaved water in a large measuring cup (4 cup) to 170 degrees - about 2.5 minutes on HIGH. Submersed my bag of milk for 20 sec. I'll report back after a few days to let you know how this method worked.

This is a great thread, 'cause I just realized that my BM has the same issue. Some questions:

1) Is the milk still OK if the baby can take it? My DD took some frozen milk, and she became really fussy for the next 20 hours or so. I sensed that the frozen milk has caused some digestion problem (gassy, reflux, etc). That was how I started to research this topic. Also, I realized that my milk in the fridge started to get a bad taste fairly soon, still need to know how many hours is the limit.

Why isn't there more research on this issue? I'm really disappointed that I followed all the guideline and now this!

So have you guys thrown away all previously frozen milk? I wonder if I scald the frozen milk, she'd take it without being gassy afterwards. Taste is one thing, having real problems (gassy, reflux, real discomfort) is another!

2) WHen you scald your milk in BF storage bag using bottle warmer or hot water, is that OK? Don't know if the plastic bag is meant to be in such high temperature. Or even pumping bottles... Please share your experience.

I used to feel so proud of myself since I produce extra milk. Now I have a very mixed feeling.
    Last edited by @llli*cyb2009; January 28th, 2009 at 09:56 AM.