Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 21 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

Default Re: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

Hey everyone!

I just found out about two weeks ago that I suffer from the Lipase bug as well (boo!) and I have been reading this thread for ideas (thank you all for keeping this going!) Anyhow, I stopped taking the prenatal after I read about it in here and after a week, I think I am already seeing some improvement!

My milk was spoiling after about 4 hours in the fridge and now it lasts about 10. Its still spoiling, and it might just be a fluke, but I'll let you know in another two or three weeks.

Does anyone know if my kiddo is going to suffer from me not taking the vitamin? My diet is a bit better than the average American's but by no means perfect.

20 hours of hypnobirthing and I LOVED every second of it!

Welcome to the club!

Congrats on the experiments and your lo wanted me to tell you THANKS cuz she's having some trouble saying it.

After a while you'll be in the scalding routine and it will not seem too big of a deal.

fwiw I have een very inconsistent with vitamins - went to just a regular women's daily multivitamin but don't take it every day. DS has been consistent with his growth 50% for weight, 75% for height. He'll be 2 in June.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedera View Post
    Take your oldest bag of milk, thaw it out, and taste it. It's really the only way to find out for sure.

I see you are in Riverside. That is where I deliver mail for USPS, in the Canyon Crest area. =)
    Thanks for the info, i will be sure to try that out
    & yes i do live in the riverside area. canyon crerst isnt far from me.

we too have been victimized by this lipase. we are talking like 400 OZ we have to get rid of. all the time my wife spent pumping the last 2 months down the drain with this unscalded milk. she just went back to work 2 days ago and DD will not drink the milk and we could not figure out why until we tasted it after we read almost this entire thread. so now our concern is DD will not take the bottle. 9 hours is too long for a baby to go without feeding. i packed up our son and took DD up to my wifes work so she could feed yesterday on her break. thank GOD she only works 10 minutes away. so now what?? coincidently, my wife started taking those expensive 2 part prenatal vitamins with the gold package this pregnancy. one pill is a vitamin and the other is a gel capsule of omega 3 fatty acids. she was not taking these with our son. with our son we never scalded any milk, but we had freezer problems and had to throw away our stash then, so all the milk he was getting was freshly pumped the night before and drank the next day with me home alone and running out everyday. DS sometimes would drink 28 ounces some days! anyway, should we give the bottle a rest for a day or 2 and try to get her on it then or should i try to give it to her tomorrow? sux cause now we have no supply. just what she can pump in the morning. i will still take DD up to her work tomorrow anyway. what a loss this is. all this preparation down the drain so to speak. we understand what to do with this whole scalding thing. is it OK to put the 160 degree milk right into a Lansinoh bag? and then in the freezer? will the plastic at that temp contaminate the milk??
    mom to a wonderful son: 7/5/05
    and beautiful little daughter: 1/17/08
    7lb 11oz at birth
    14.0 on 3/25/08!!
    17.0 on 4/26/08
    newly tandem nursing, born-again mama

Hi - while I want to welcome you to the "club" I also feel your pain. What a great guy you are for bringing baby to mom at work.

How are you going to scald? Bottle warmer or stove or other? If it's in a bottle in the bottle warmer then I personally would recommend placing that bottle in a mix of ice and water to cool it a little prior to putting in the lansinoh bag. Although the lansinoh bags do not have added plasticizer so it would not be likely that anything is going to leach out. Also, 160F is way below the melting point for plastic so it may be ok if you are brave enough to try it out - let us know.

Is mom pumping at all at work? How many hours is she gone?

You can totally do this, just takes a little while to get used to a new routine.

I'd keep offering milk (but in very small portions like maybe 1 oz) to see if she'll take it. However, she may end up a reverse cycler like my ds. He never ever took more than 5 oz in the 10 hrs I am away. He'll be 2 in June. I don't know if it was the lipase or if he's just different. All his cousins were like your first lo, taking lots during the day. Mine gets his at night - still wakes up 3-4 times but I am used to it now.

All the best to you and your family.

Talking Ideas for use of 'bad' milk? (yogurt??)

Hi mamas! I just found out I belong to your club!
    I have approximately 2 liters stored of breast milk that the other day I thawed and found out it smelled sour. My DD refused even mixed with pears...
    I went ahead to scald the next batches and problem solved...
    Anyway, I did not throw away the ´bad´milk, I was wondering if you would have any ideas for what to do, considering the milk is OK, just the taste is not very appealing, right?
    Could I make yogurt out of this milk? Is that a crazy idea??

Thanks a lot for your help
    Deia

Welcome Deia!

Glad you found us. You know I actually tried making yogurt with bm... and it didn't work - turns out the proteins aren't long enough or something like that. I wonder if you could make oatmeal with it -- then mask the taste with something else??

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by ntaylor1222 View Post
    coincidently, my wife started taking those expensive 2 part prenatal vitamins with the gold package this pregnancy. one pill is a vitamin and the other is a gel capsule of omega 3 fatty acids. she was not taking these with our son.

is it OK to put the 160 degree milk right into a Lansinoh bag? and then in the freezer? will the plastic at that temp contaminate the milk??

I wondered if my high lipase was from taking DHA supplements so I stopped them and flax seed oil for about 6 weeks and it made no difference.

I scald in a glass canning jar in a pot of boiling water. Once it's heated, I take the jar out of the water, let it set on the counter a few minutes (long enough so I can handle it) then put it in lansinoh bags.

Default Re: Ideas for use of 'bad' milk? (yogurt??)

Quote Originally Posted by Deia View Post
    Anyway, I did not throw away the ´bad´milk, I was wondering if you would have any ideas for what to do, considering the milk is OK, just the taste is not very appealing, right?
    Could I make yogurt out of this milk? Is that a crazy idea??
    Somewhere, possible kellymom.com I found recipes to make soap out of breastmilk. I never did it, but it's an option.

I also did not throw out my milk. I am saving for a baby we hope to adopt. My SIL is an MD and she said some newborns might take the milk. I can't believe anyone would drink this stuff, but you never know, I guess. We have heard of a baby in another state that is up for adoption. She is a few months old. One thing I'm wondering is if we get her and there is a delay in us getting to her if I can said the foster family my icky milk. Perhaps they could mix it with formula until I can get there and try and nurse. If she would take it, at least she'd be getting some breastmilk in addition to the formula. We'll see. There's a lot of ifs along the road and I don't know if the agency would let the foster parents do that.

Quote Originally Posted by ntaylor1222 View Post
    DD will not drink the milk and we could not figure out why until we tasted it after we read almost this entire thread. so now our concern is DD will not take the bottle.

anyway, should we give the bottle a rest for a day or 2 and try to get her on it then or should i try to give it to her tomorrow?
    I handed my toddler a bottle with horrid milk in it once. He drinks it like a cup, not a bottle--no nipple. Since then he has refused to drink any of my expressed milk, even if I had just pumped it.

This weekend I made it into a game and got him to throw his head back and me pour the milk in his mouth. Once he realized it tasted okay, he was willing to drink it out of the nippleless bottle again.

So, I'd recommend taking a break from the bottle then see if you can do something creative. Give some milk from a cup, then offer the bottle, or whatever you can think of.