Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 20 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

Default Re: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

Quote Originally Posted by shorty313 View Post
    Hedera - that's really interesting about the iron in the prenatals, what do you take that doesn't have iron? Mine are from Target and have 28 mg of iron. I'll defintiely make a switch if it means my daily milk didn't have to be scalded. Thanks!
    I get them at GNC. They're a bit more expensive (about $9 for a 30-day supply) but SO WORTH IT because now I don't have to scald my milk each day. I only scald what I put in the deep freezer, or for BM I need to keep for more than 2 days.

Hi ladies, I am so glad I found this forum! I think I may have a lipase issue too, but wanted to see what you all think. I never noticed anything till recently (my daughter is 11 months old), when I realized my frozen milk was smelling sour soon after thawing. It ranges from souring immediately to the day after thawing (I haven't noticed it with fresh milk, even up to a week in the fridge), and doesn't seem related to how long it's been frozen. I say I never noticed till recently, but the problem may have been there all along and I never knew because I don't typically heat it up or give her bottles. So she seems to be drinking it, which I guess means I don't have to throw out my frozen stash? Does this sound like a lipase problem, or do you think the milk really has gone bad? How do you tell the difference? It all smelled fine when I froze it.

Also, I thought I may have seen something on here about scalding thawed milk...does that help with the flavor at all?

I am done pumping for this baby (I stopped before I realized the milk was "sour"), so I would love to be able to use this milk if she will drink it! She hasn't been picky so far, so I just want to make sure it's safe. I would much rather give her my frozen milk than formula for so many reasons!

I love the idea of using a bottle warmer to scald, and I will definitely use that for the next baby!

Thanks so much!!

Aschewin

If your baby is taking the milk good for you both! There's no issue there, the fats are just broken down some already. I think the only way you'd be able to find out for sure would be to pump and scald and then see if your frozen milk didn't turn like that after some time -- but since you said you are done pumping that may not be an option for you at this time. If you have another baby someday you could keep this in mind and try some experiments then to see.

Unfortunately, scalding after freezing will not help. If it is lipase and it has already started breaking down the fats in the milk this can not be reversed.

The other thing to think of if it is not lipase is was it a storage issue -- is it freezer burn? How was it stored regular freezer or deep freeze and where? If stored by the door or near the walls in a reg. freezer the milk can freeze and thaw multiple times and this can ultimately affect how the milk tastes. Was it double bagged or in a bottle? Or sometimes the milk can take up the flavor of items near it if it wasn't sealed well... But again I think if your baby is not rejecting it and is not having any issue then go with it.

Congrats on making it 11 months so far and again, welcome!

Wow, thanks for the quick response and warm welcome! I wish I had known about the LLL forums long ago, but now I know for the future!

The milk is collected and stored the same as I have been doing all along--in Medela bags in the freezer. They have been stored less than 3 months, not in the door. It's a small freezer, and it's mostly filled with breast milk! I think I may have never noticed the smell before because I never smelled the bottles right before she got them (heated and everything). The milk doesn't really smell soapy, more sour...does that sound similar to what you have experienced? I'm pretty sure she has gotten some of the "sour" milk at daycare recently, and she didn't get sick and drank it okay, so I guess it's not actually rotten! We will be transitioning to whole milk soon, so maybe I can get her to drink the frozen milk by mixing it with whole milk! She refuses to nurse anymore, so I hope that she will drink the rest of my milk!

Alana has never been very good about nursing...she started refusing bedtime nursing at 9 months and has refused all nursing the last two weeks. I wanted to make it at least a year, so it will be wonderful if she drinks the rest of my frozen milk!

Thank you so much!

-Alecia

Mine was more metallic rusty yuck not a straight sour. Maybe other moms had a different story. Just curious - How's the ice cream in your freezer - frozen solid? How about the milk also solid? I'm wondering if the temp was ok in the freezer?

Sounds like you may be able to make it to a year especially since she is not rejecting the milk. How about a nursing strike -- maybe your babe is not wanting to wean but going through one of those? (I do not have any experience with this but remember reading about them).

Scroll down to the bottom on the link below to read more.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...ml#linksstrike

Good luck to you!

Thanks! Well, she has had two bottles of thawed milk so far today, no problem. The first she drank cold, and it had no smell. Seems like I don't notice the smell till it's heated up.

Thanks for the info on nursing strikes. We have been through a couple, but I'm pretty sure she is just done now. I'm just happy that I am able to continue giving her milk for a bit longer!

Thanks so much for all the info!!

I'm glad everything is going well for you!

whats a quick way to find out if you have excessive Lipase?
    I've been pumping & have a good stash going & I dont want to find out that it ALL went bad when I do start to thaw & give to baby

Quote Originally Posted by Izayah's Mommy View Post

I've been pumping & have a good stash going & I dont want to find out that it ALL went bad when I do start to thaw & give to baby
    Take your oldest bag of milk, thaw it out, and taste it. It's really the only way to find out for sure.

I see you are in Riverside. That is where I deliver mail for USPS, in the Canyon Crest area. =)
    Last edited by Hedera; April 15th, 2008 at 09:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Izayah's Mommy View Post

Put a small amount in the fridge and taste it every day. It should be good for at least 8 to 10 days.

Mine tastes horrid within 24 hours. So sad.