Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 19 of 40 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

Default Re: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

If it were a metabolism issue with me it would be a slow metabolism. LOOKING at a jelly donut makes me gain weight.
    I have no idea why it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by seeg View Post
    I'm just curious to know if excessive Lipase is connected in some way to the mother's metabolism. I have a quick/efficient metabolism and am very svelt (no matter how many jelly donuts I eat). I'm wondering if other women with excessive Lipase are the same...? I hope that's not too forward; just wondering....
    I have a fast metabolism too, no matter how much See's candy I eat. LOL I don't know if that has anything to do with lipase levels or not.

Quote Originally Posted by FeistyErin View Post
    I have four sets and let me tell you although it was expensive and a pain in the butt to clean it really kept my mind reassured that I was not contaminating the milk since I was using clean stuff each time. I am paranoid about this stuff though. So just my humble opinion.
    Oh, I completely agree. I'm not comfortable with just rinsing stuff off and using it again. I really don't have access to running water out on my mail route, and I'm not real thrilled with the thought of cleaning them out in the bathroom of the local fast food place or gas station. I'd rather use clean equipment each time and deal with the washing at the end of the day. I'm OCD, and I can't stand the thought of contaminating the milk. LOL

Hi ladies. I'm new here and dealing with a suspected Lipase issue *boo*.

DD is 2-1/2 months old and was EBF for 2 months. Issue started when I went back to work 2 weeks ago. I noticed when I washed out the bottles when I got home from daycare - they smelled rancid. I picked DD up one day about 10 minutes after she had a bottle. That one smelled rancid too.

Hubby went to give her a bottle of EBM tonight so I could rest (I have the flu!). The milk smelled fine before he heated it, then as soon as he heated it he smelled it and it was rancid. Instead of waking me up to nurse, he fed her a bottle of formula that we had laying around. DD didn't take it well, and has spit up and actually threw up afterwards.

I have a question. Has anyone noticed a difference between scalding your milk immediately after pumping, or waiting until you get home to scald it? My milk smells fine until you heat it, so I'm thinking that the heating is what's causing it to go bad, not the length of storage.

Also - DD hasn't had any problems with taking the milk - so should I be stressing myself out with this?

Any advice???
    Last edited by Danibee; March 4th, 2008 at 08:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danibee View Post
    I have a question. Has anyone noticed a difference between scalding your milk immediately after pumping, or waiting until you get home to scald it? My milk smells fine until you heat it, so I'm thinking that the heating is what's causing it to go bad, not the length of storage.

Also - DD hasn't had any problems with taking the milk - so should I be stressing myself out with this?

Any advice???
    The heating is most likely making the smell more prominent, not making it go bad. My milk smells sweet until you taste it, then you want to run for the toilet. LOL It's just hard to smell the broken-down fats when they are cold - and once they are warmed you can smell that "soapy/sour taste" really good.

I can wait to pasteurize my milk, I don't have to do it while it's fresh. Through all my trial and error testing in my "mad milk scientist" kitchen, heating to 163°F works best at stopping the lipase activity. 144.5°F didn't stop my milk from turning soapy/metallic - 36 hours after pasteurization it was getting nasty, and after 3 days in a deep freezer it was nasty. The milk I pasteurized at the higher temp is good for 7 days in the fridge and at the 15-day mark in the deep freezer tastes great. I'm waiting for the 30-day test, and then I'll feel confident that it's good indefinitely in the deep freezer. (up to a year at most, actually)

If your daughter has no problem with the taste, then don't worry about it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! LOL It won't hurt her because your milk truly hasn't gone bad, it's just that the fats are already breaking down from the lipase. As long as you follow proper guidelines for milk handling and storage, your daughter should be safe, even though the milk tastes the way it does.

As a side note - I stopped taking prenatal vitamins with iron, and now take a prenatal without iron. Now the lipase in my milk isn't as bad. My milk can actually go for 36 hours before it has that tell-tale taste. Before that, my milk could only go 13 hours before it started to taste bad. It took about 3 weeks for the difference to show up, but it has made things a lot easier for me.

It may be something for you other mommies dealing with lipase issues to try. It is the one thing we probably all have in common, continuing to take the prenatal while nursing. I found the difference out quite by mistake - I had to stop taking the prenatal with iron because it was keeping me severely constipated. One day three weeks later I pumped at my parents house and forgot to take the milk home with me. It sat in their fridge for 36 hours before I went back over to visit. I was going to throw it out because I was sure it was nasty, but I tasted it anyway. I was surprised to find that it still tasted okay! That was the only major change in my diet, stopping the supplement with iron.

Sorry if this has been asked before...

I scald my milk using a canning jar in boiling water (like a PP recommended). I heard that with cows milk you can tell it's scalded if it gets a skin on it...my breastmilk does also get a skin on it when I'm scalding it. So, I'm wondering does anyone just use that as the indicator that it's reached the right temp. or do you always use a thermometer?

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Quote Originally Posted by JeannieBean View Post
    I scald my milk using a canning jar in boiling water (like a PP recommended). I heard that with cows milk you can tell it's scalded if it gets a skin on it...my breastmilk does also get a skin on it when I'm scalding it. So, I'm wondering does anyone just use that as the indicator that it's reached the right temp. or do you always use a thermometer?
    I personally prefer to use a thermometer, that way it doesn't get overheated and kill too much of the good stuff. My pasteurized BM never gets a skin on it. I use a quick-read thermometer I got from Target. If you are getting a skin, you are going above 180°. I was cleaning my pumping stuff and forgot to keep an eye on my milk and when I took the temp it was over 180° and had a skin. For my milk, 163°F is sufficient to stop the lipase, and no skin forms at that temp.

I just watched and when there were bubbles around the edges, I considered it scalded.

Yeah, I just don't know if the thermometer is getting far enough in the milk...I can only pump like 2-3 oz usually So far my DD seems to like it though, so that's all that matters

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Hedera - that's really interesting about the iron in the prenatals, what do you take that doesn't have iron? Mine are from Target and have 28 mg of iron. I'll defintiely make a switch if it means my daily milk didn't have to be scalded. Thanks!