Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 18 of 40 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

Default Re: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

Quote Originally Posted by JeannieBean View Post
    If you have any access to a microwave, it's not the best option for scalding, but it is an option (see the beginning of the thread).
    Thanks for the welcome!

Trust me, I read the whole thread from beginning to end. LOL Unfortunately a microwave is not option for me. I used to have a great apartment complex on my route, the ladies said I could use their full kitchen and pump there when I returned to work. Then management adjusted the routes while I was out on maternity leave, and now it's not on my route anymore. And - big fat sigh - it's too far for me to go there anyway - we are only allowed to travel 1/2 mile from the route.

On the plus side, my milk is still holding at 6 hours! It still tastes okay for now. I will be tasting it again at 12:30 am to see if it reaches the 12 hour mark. If so, I will be able to save my day's pumped milk and scald it if I have to. But I'm hoping it will hold for at least 24 hours, then I will only have to scald my freezer stash.

I also pumped again this evening and scalded that. Half of it is sitting in the fridge, and the other half I put in the freezer. I'll have to see how long it stays good and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by csan View Post
    Hedera -- I thought I once saw some bottle warmers that would plug into a cigarette adaptor in the car... if that's true and if you have a cig. adaptor in your letter carrier vehicle - maybe that's an option?
    That would definitely be good for me if my milk can't pass the 12-hour mark without turning nasty. So far it's holding, I check it again in 2 hours and I hope it makes it!

Quote Originally Posted by Hopin' for another View Post
    Have you checked out the whisper wear pump? It gets mixed reviews, but you wear it in your bra and pump while you go about your day. It may be a good option for you.
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I've got a vehicle adapter, so I'm set to still use my PISA. My route is residential in a nice area full of doctors and nurses, so if they get offended seeing me pump in my truck they've got problems! LOL No one should be able to tell what I'm doing anyway unless they get up in my business.

I don't have access to my apartment complex anymore, it was taken off my route. So now my problem becomes keeping my pumping supplies clean. I guess I'll have to have 3 sets of each item so I can just rinse them off, use a new clean one for the next pumping, and sterilze when I get home. Ugh, what a lot of stuff to clean at the end of the day!
    Last edited by Hedera; February 8th, 2008 at 12:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedera View Post
    So now my problem becomes keeping my pumping supplies clean. I guess I'll have to have 3 sets of each item so I can just rinse them off, use a new clean one for the next pumping, and sterilze when I get home. Ugh, what a lot of stuff to clean at the end of the day!
    When I was pumping at work - I'd put the pump parts in a clean plastic bag & put them in the fridge between pumping sessions. Perhaps you could do the same but use a cooler in your truck?
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Hi again Hedera - just incase you need it - here's a link to a car bottle warmer. Keep us posted!!!

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/602-7906468-0673436?ASIN=B000GB3FZU&AFID=Froogle&LNM=B000GB3FZ U|Munchkin_Car_Bottle_Warmer&ci_src=14110944&ci_sk u=B000GB3FZU&ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001

Quote Originally Posted by csan View Post
    Hi again Hedera - just incase you need it - here's a link to a car bottle warmer. Keep us posted!!!
    Thanks so much for the link!

When I tested my milk it's starting to get that soapy taste at the 13-hour mark. It wasn't nasty, but it was definitely there. At the 24-hour mark my milk is just flat-out disgusting. So I'm going to have to pasteurize each day's milk for the following day. Luckily my pumped milk will be at the 8-hour mark when I get home and it's still fresh and sweet at that point.

I went ahead and pasteurized the 13-hour sample to see what would happen. I used this guideline:

Per Lawrence & Lawrence, bile salt-stimulated lipase can also be destroyed by heating the milk at 144.5 F (62.5 C) for one minute (p. 205), or at 163 F (72 C) for up to 15 seconds (p. 771).

I put the milk in a pyrex container inside a pot filled with water. When the temp hit 150 F I set the timer for one minute. When time was up, I took it off the stove and put the pyrex container in the fridge. When the milk cooled, I put it in a Medela storage bag. Here's my results:

1. The milk pasteurized immediately after it was pumped is still fresh and sweet more than 24 hrs later.

2. The milk pasteurized at the 13-hour mark is still holding good at 22 hours after pasteurization. The pasteurization stopped the lipase activity AND it has actually counteracted the soapy taste. The sweet taste of the milk is now more pronounced again, with the taste of lipase now barely detectable.

In addition to these tests, I put some fresh-pumped, immediately pasteurized milk in the middle of a regular freezer, and some in a deep freezer. I will test those samples at the 15-day and 30-day mark and post my findings. Tomorrow I will do the same with milk pasteurized after the 8-hour mark and see how that fares in both freezers.

I hope all this will help some other mommies out there! =)

Regarding using thermometers:

I have been using a candy thermometer. I only pump 1/2 to 2 ounces at a time, so the tip is not submerged in my canning jar unless I tilt the jar. However, it is only the tip that is submerged.

I put the thermometer in the boiling water the other day and found that it did not get above 200 degrees. The larger amount of the thermometer's "stick" that I put in, the higher the temp showed. However, it still never got above 200 degrees.

I have adjusted the temp I'm heating to. I thought others may want to consider this.

The sweet taste of the milk is now more pronounced again, with the taste of lipase now barely detectable.
    So since the lipase begins breaking down lipids and creates the soapy smell/taste, what you actually mean is that the dissolved fat is less pronounced!

I just gave birth to my second baby and I, too, have excessive Lipase in my BM. I am so grateful to discussion threads like this one for helping us to figure it out; I wasted *a lot* of BM the first time around until we did some research.

I'm just curious to know if excessive Lipase is connected in some way to the mother's metabolism. I have a quick/efficient metabolism and am very svelt (no matter how many jelly donuts I eat). I'm wondering if other women with excessive Lipase are the same...? I hope that's not too forward; just wondering....
    Last edited by seeg; February 15th, 2008 at 06:47 AM.

Ugh, what a lot of stuff to clean at the end of the day!
    I have four sets and let me tell you although it was expensive and a pain in the butt to clean it really kept my mind reassured that I was not contaminating the milk since I was using clean stuff each time. I am paranoid about this stuff though. So just my humble opinion.