Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 17 of 40 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 400

Thread: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

  1. #161
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    24

    Default Re: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

    Quote Originally Posted by mamamellie View Post
    I know lots of people are using bottle warmers to scald their milk, but is anyone using a plain ol' pot? (I don't pump often enough to justify a bottle warmer) If so how are you cooling down the milk? Pouring it into another container before cooling or cooling it in the pot?
    Thanks!
    I posted this before, but since others are asking, I'll repost. The way I heat my milk is to put it in a canning jar and put it in a small pot of water. I put a candy thermometer in the milk and bring the water to a boil. I use an oven mitt to frequently swirl my milk. Because I can only pump an ounce or 2 at a time, my thermometer doesn't reach into the milk, but stops right above it. I've found it's fastest if I wait until the thermometer reads 180 degrees, then I tilt the jar so the thermometer is in the milk. If the thermometer hasn't read 180 very long, the temp will decrease when I tilt the jar. I then set the jar upright for a bit and then retilt it again.

    Once the milk is 180 degrees, I take the jar out of the water to cool. I made the mistake once of trying to encourage the cooling process by putting the jar in cool water. Dumb mistake. The glass cracked and I had to throw away all the milk. It cools very quickly, so it can be transferred to a milk bag within minutes.
    Last edited by Hopin' for another; February 4th, 2008 at 05:32 PM.

  2. #162
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    24

    Default Re: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

    Quote Originally Posted by Kimba217 View Post
    So, to my question - since my milk just started going bad out of the blue one day - is it possible that it would stop having excess lipase out of the blue? Meaning, should I occasionally put an ounce in the fridge without scalding and see what happens?

    Has anyone had this happen? I might try it this weekend but I hate to lose even an ounce when I'm pumping just enough to squeak by and in a few weeks it may not be enough.
    My milk was fine for many months--I could save it in the fridge and it would be good a week later. I recently discovered that my year's worth of milk that I was saving for a baby we will adopt is all high lipase and horrid. I am saving it on the off-hand chance the baby will take it. I have experimented with stopping DHA supplements to see if that caused the lipase issue--I've been off for about 6 weeks and it hasn't helped. I only save less than 1/2 ounce when I want to test it. Really, you probably only need a spoonful. Put it in the fridge and after a couple days try it. It's a scary thing to do and when it tastes as bad as you thought it's both physically and emotionally horrid.

    My LC said that lipase levels come and go. Wish mine would go.

  3. #163
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,570

    Default Re: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

    Quote Originally Posted by Hopin' for another View Post
    I posted this before, but since others are asking, I'll repost. The way I heat my milk is to put it in a canning jar and put it in a small pot of water. I put a candy thermometer in the milk and bring the water to a boil. I use an oven mitt to frequently swirl my milk. Because I can only pump an ounce or 2 at a time, my thermometer doesn't reach into the milk, but stops right above it. I've found it's fastest if I wait until the thermometer reads 180 degrees, then I tilt the jar so the thermometer is in the milk. If the thermometer hasn't read 180 very long, the temp will decrease when I tilt the jar. I then set the jar upright for a bit and then retilt it again.

    Once the milk is 180 degrees, I take the jar out of the water to cool. I made the mistake once of trying to encourage the cooling process by putting the jar in cool water. Dumb mistake. The glass cracked and I had to throw away all the milk. It cools very quickly, so it can be transferred to a milk bag within minutes.
    Can you do this with the bottle itself instead of a canning jar? I pump directly into the AVENT bottles.


    Jeanne (my middle name IRL)


    Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

  4. #164
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    16

    Default Re: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

    I am extremely glad that I found this thread thru a Google search! I have spent the last 2 hours crying as I threw away all my frozen breastmilk. I go back to work on March 31st and was trying to build up a reserve. I'm a USPS letter carrier, so it's going to be hard to pump out on my route, but I am determined to make this work. I was so devastated when I realized my lipase levels were so high, I was initially worried I was going to have to wean my son when I returned to work...so I turned to Google to see if I could get some good answers. LOL

    I am testing my breastmilk as I write this - I'm not sure how long I have until it actually goes bad in the fridge. I'm hoping that I can scald and freeze a new stash of milk for reserves, and keep a day ahead of a daily supply for my son without having to scald that.

    If it goes bad within a few hours, I don't know what I can do. I have absolutely no way to scald it at work. I guess I will have to supplement with formula (God, the thought of that makes me sick) while I am at work and just BF while I am with him. Any suggestions?

    Also, what other bottles fit the Medela PISA? I am interested in using glass, if possible. One of the many things I read today said that using glass bottles seems to slow the effects of lipase. (I'm assuming because all plastic is absorbent to some degree, and therefore harder to remove all traces of residue?)

    Any help that can be given, I truly appreciate your time. Thanks in advance! =)

  5. #165
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,570

    Default Re: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase



    I'm sorry I can't really answer your questions as I just recently figured out my lipase issue too. So, we're in this together. I'm really sorry you had to throw all that "liquid gold" away I think everyone is different as far as how long it takes for the milk to go bad (I do think it is usually a few hours though) I really hope you will be able to pump while working. If you have any access to a microwave, it's not the best option for scalding, but it is an option (see the beginning of the thread). Hope you get some answers here


    Jeanne (my middle name IRL)


    Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

  6. #166
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    24

    Default Re: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

    Quote Originally Posted by Hedera View Post
    I'm a USPS letter carrier, so it's going to be hard to pump out on my route, but I am determined to make this work.

    Any help that can be given, I truly appreciate your time. Thanks in advance! =)
    Have you checked out the whisper wear pump? It gets mixed reviews, but you wear it in your bra and pump while you go about your day. It may be a good option for you.

  7. #167
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    24

    Default Re: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

    Quote Originally Posted by JeannieBean View Post
    Can you do this with the bottle itself instead of a canning jar? I pump directly into the AVENT bottles.
    Is that a glass or plastic bottle? If it's plastic, is it free of nasty chemicals that leach into milk when heated and would it withstand being immersed in boiling water for a few minutes? If it's glass, I don't see why it wouldn't work. I haven't tried it, but it could be convenient.

  8. #168
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    24

    Default Re: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

    Quote Originally Posted by JeannieBean View Post


    I'm really sorry you had to throw all that "liquid gold" away:
    I wonder, for those of us who haven't yet thrown out the foul tasting milk: the milk is still healthy, it just tastes bad. If it's not too bad, could it be mixed with better tasting stuff to dilute the taste. Or, for those who need to supplement with formula, could some of the foul tasting milk be mixed with the formula. This would take some experimentation to see what ratio the baby would take, and maybe they would take any, but it's a thought.

  9. #169
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,570

    Default Re: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

    Quote Originally Posted by Hopin' for another View Post
    Is that a glass or plastic bottle? If it's plastic, is it free of nasty chemicals that leach into milk when heated and would it withstand being immersed in boiling water for a few minutes? If it's glass, I don't see why it wouldn't work. I haven't tried it, but it could be convenient.
    I don't think AVENT bottles are completely free of chemicals, so I'll try the canning jar (my MIL cans, so we have a ton). Thanks!!!!


    Jeanne (my middle name IRL)


    Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

  10. #170
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Posts
    723

    Default Re: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

    Hedera -- I thought I once saw some bottle warmers that would plug into a cigarette adaptor in the car... if that's true and if you have a cig. adaptor in your letter carrier vehicle - maybe that's an option?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •