Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 12 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

Default Re: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

I just use the regualr bottles that came with my medela pump. I think that if you are cheking the temp. it shouldn't matter. If anything you may need to add a little more water to get up to temp?? Post back and let us know.

just wanted to add a little update on the lipase/scalding journey.

when i get home on friday, i have to scald 4-5 bottles of milk to make sure they last until monday for daycare. well, we got tired of watching the bottles in the warmer, one after another. it would take over an hour to get all those bottle scalded. so, for friday's big batch, i have been using a steamer basket insert in a pot. i think you could use a pasta insert, too.

i fill the bottom of the pot with hot water, and put the steamer insert in. then, put my bottles in the steamer basket. usually, the water touches the bottoms of the bottles, maybe up to 1-2cm. i keep the bottles away from the sides of the pot, though, so it doesn't overheat the plastic bottles. then, i put the thermometer into on of the bottles and let the water simmer away.

this gets them all done in one big batch, and we can get other things done (like eating dinner, nursing, cleaning up!). no more watching bottles all night long. it's the same idea as using the bottle warmer, and much better than trying to scald the milk directly or use a double boiler, since your milk can stay right in the bottle.

hope this helps someone!

Question Re: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

Okay, so this is all new to me. My son is 6 months old, and I just started to discover that my milk tastes soapy. I discovered it now that he receives bottles since I am back to work. Both my frozen EBM and fresh EBM, the funny thing is he has never refused it. Now that we have started to introduce solids that I mix with my EBM I noticed that after a day it tastes soapy, but he doesn't refuse it.
    Is it okay for him to consume the BM even if it tastes like that? How do I know if it is high lipase levels? Do I need to throw away my frozen supply? HELP

KAT!

If the milk is only soapy tasting/smelling (vs rancid--like spoiled milk), and if your baby takes it no problem, don't worry about it! And NO, you do not need to toss your frozen supply.

Info:
    "A few mothers find that their refrigerated or frozen milk begins to smell or taste soapy, sour, or even rancid soon after it's stored, even though all storage guidelines have been followed closely. Per Lawrence & Lawrence (p. 781), the speculation is that these mothers have an excess of the enzyme lipase in their milk, which begins to break down the milk fat soon after the milk is expressed. Most babies do not mind a mild change in taste, and the milk is not harmful, but the stronger the taste the more likely that baby will reject it."
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/l...essedmilk.html

HTH!

Is it possible that the lipase takes a few days to build up in the milk. Mine tastes funny after 3 days but not soured?!

Quote Originally Posted by NAOMI View Post
    Is it possible that the lipase takes a few days to build up in the milk. Mine tastes funny after 3 days but not soured?!
    I think this is totally possible. Mine stays good for up to 5 days in fridge, but would go bad after awhile in the freezer. Some have done experiments to see when theirs goes bad, but I didn't have the patience.

Amy

Quote Originally Posted by NAOMI View Post
    Yep - My EBM was ok for 2 days in the fridge before getting the lipase taste / smell.

I was able to pump at work and use that for the next day at day care, but everything that went into the freezer needed to be scalded first.

I just think it depends on the individual mom and the amount of lipase enzymes in her breastmilk.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Smile Re: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

Thanks ladies! My son does still drink it, I just noticed it a couple of days ago, and it was yuck

I am pumping to maintain my supply as we go through the adoption process. I also want to have a stash of frozen milk. As my milk heads towards expiration I will donate it to another adopted baby whose adoptive mother can't nurse. I've just discovered a lipase problem.

My questions:

How long has anyone been able to store their scalded/frozen milk in a deep freeze? I know everyone's different, but I'd like some general ideas.

Someone mentioned flax seeds. I have been taking flax seed oil since pregnancy. I had no problems with lipase in early months. I started taking vegetarian DHA when son was about 9 months. At 11 1/2 months I stopped having to save up for supplementation. For those who stopped flax seed, did you notice a difference? One person said yes, what about others?

My heating technique:

I bought a canning jar to heat my milk in. (I don't want to heat in any sort of plastic.) I put a candy thermometer in it and set the whole thing in a small pot of water about 2" deep. I've never been a very good pumper so usually get 2 ounces or less per session. Today I got 2 3/4 ounces. I tried this system for the first time today and it went really well. Heated up in about 5 minutes (or less) to 180 degrees. Then I turned my brain off. For the rapid cool I put the hot jar under water. The glass cracked and I had to dump the whole batch down the drain.

I will repeat this process later, but thought I'd share it in case anyone else is looking for more ideas.

My history:

I used to work every other weekend so would pump each day. The week before working I would put milk in the fridge. What I pumped at work and for the following week I froze. My milk used to last for 8 days (at least) in the fridge without a problem. We could give the baby frozen milk without issue. My job changed and I no longer had to save up so much milk at a time. I saved a stash and donated about to expire milk to an adopted baby. His mom mixed it with other milk and all was well.

Son is now 23 months and we are planning to adopt. I have about 700 ounces in the freezer and storing more every day. By accident found milk in the fridge went bad in 24 hours. Milk I froze 2 weeks before was disgusting. I haven't checked a sample from each month to find out how long this problem has been going on, but I will.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopin' for another View Post
    I am pumping to maintain my supply as we go through the adoption process. I also want to have a stash of frozen milk. As my milk heads towards expiration I will donate it to another adopted baby whose adoptive mother can't nurse. I've just discovered a lipase problem.

My questions:

How long has anyone been able to store their scalded/frozen milk in a deep freeze? I know everyone's different, but I'd like some general ideas.
    Scalded milk generally lasts as long as the general "expiration date".

I bought a canning jar to heat my milk in. (I don't want to heat in any sort of plastic.) I put a candy thermometer in it and set the whole thing in a small pot of water about 2" deep. I've never been a very good pumper so usually get 2 ounces or less per session. Today I got 2 3/4 ounces. I tried this system for the first time today and it went really well. Heated up in about 5 minutes (or less) to 180 degrees. Then I turned my brain off. For the rapid cool I put the hot jar under water. The glass cracked and I had to dump the whole batch down the drain.
    I'm so glad you weren't hurt!

Son is now 23 months and we are planning to adopt. I have about 700 ounces in the freezer and storing more every day. By accident found milk in the fridge went bad in 24 hours. Milk I froze 2 weeks before was disgusting. I haven't checked a sample from each month to find out how long this problem has been going on, but I will.
    Wow. That is interesting! Please report back with your results, and if you note there were any changes in your diet since the lipase issue started.