Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 10 of 40 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

Default Re: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

I put my warm bottles in the fridge, when they're all done in the warmer I put them in the bags and straight into the freezer.

If you do decide to start your LO on cereal or a fruit/veg puree, your DH can mix the unscalded milk with that and essentially spoon feed her the milk. Their little bellies fill up so fast you'll be surprised, seems like when it's milk though they'll just gorge themselves of course ;-)

Good luck to you, let us know how it goes! Or if you have more questions before then.

My Little Reverse Cyclers
    *DS born July 2006, nursed 3 yrs 10 mos!
    *DD born January 2011, happily nursing and bucking the bottle just like big brother
    *One Angel baby we sadly never met July 2009

Happily married to an amazing man who puts up with all my craziness since 1999.

Hello all!
    I am sooo happy to find this thread!! I have a 16 wk old girl and I am planning to go back to work in 3 wks. I've been able to solely breastfeed her and now that my maternity leave is coming to an end we've started to consistently give her the bottle at least 1-2x/day. She is able to take the bottle without any problems however she refuses the milk when it's been frozen & then thawed. Which has led me to think maybe it's b/c of the high level of lipase in my milk... I've been researching online.

I have a pretty good stash of frozen breastmilk and I'm really frustrated to think that all my efforts (of pumping) will go to "waste." So I've been experienting with my milk to see how to get my daugther to take the milk... I tried giving my daughter 1/2 frozen & 1/2 fresh and she only took it once and the other 3 times she's rejected it. I've tried 3/4 fresh & 1/4 frozen, she's rejected it. Then just yesturday I gave her 2 oz of fresh and then 3 oz of my frozen and she took it just fine... I am sooo confused.

I finally got a hold of a lactation consultant at my insurance/hospital (Kaiser) and she asked me a couple of questions... and then concluded that I do not have a high level of lipase in my milk. She asked if my fresh milk that has been refrigrated for a day or two smelled or not. And it does not. Is that common with you all? The lactation consultant concluded that there must be something wrong w/ our freezer. So I'm really confused. Help!

My milk doesn't smell funny at all, but it tastes dreadful once it has been outside of my body for more than a few hours. Other people I know can store their milk for quite a long time before it starts to become soapy. It seems to vary a lot from woman to woman.
    If I were you, I would try scalding. What have you to lose? If it doesn't help, you are no worse off, but it may fix the problem. I would certainly try it before buying a new freezer anyway. How bad would it be if you changed your freezer, it still happened and then you tried scalding and it worked?!
    I would try the simple (and inexpensive) option first if I were you.
    Hope you find the answer!
    Last edited by mrsavocet; September 14th, 2007 at 05:16 AM. Reason: spelling errors

Quote Originally Posted by sbgee73 View Post
    She asked if my fresh milk that has been refrigrated for a day or two smelled or not. And it does not. Is that common with you all? The lactation consultant concluded that there must be something wrong w/ our freezer. So I'm really confused. Help!
    My milk is ok in the fridge for about 2 days and then it starts to smell / taste bad.

My understanding is that the lipase enzyme continues to work even after milk has been frozen. So milk that has been frozen for only a couple of days might still be ok but milk that has been frozen for months may smell taste bad.

A deep freezer is colder than the freezer on the top of a fridge so that may slow things down a bit.

Sometimes people have frozen milk go "bad" in a standard freezer that has a self defrost feature because the temp in the freezer fluctuates.

One way to test for lipase - put a bottle of EBM in the fridge and then test it once a day for 7 or 8 days to see if the taste / smell changes and how many days it may be ok in the fridge.

Many of us here have tossed our frozen stashes. I cried and cried.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

So I have been dreading throwing out my "bad" frozen stash (about 300 oz). Someone had suggested contacting a milk bank, which I did and they will take my "bad" milk. The lipase isn't so much of an issue since my milk will be added to a batch of about 400 oz and then pasturized before being dispensed to babies who need it.

I am still in the application phase (medical screenings) but hope to FedEx my milk within the next two weeks. It makes me feel better that it will go to good use.

If anyone else is interested in donating their "bad" milk - here is the link to the milk bank I contacted: http://www.ohiohealth.com/bodymaternity.cfm?id=1049

I am sure there are other banks out there that would take the milk.

My dd has been fighting bottles at day care and has gone from taking several to sometimes only half a bottle. After trying the milk and reading this entire (very helpful) thread I think I have a lipase problem. I scalded my milk for the first time tonight so hopefully she will take it tomorrow.
    But I think I might have to toss 88 ounces of frozen milk. I just thawed my oldest bag (2 months old) and it was terrible. The taste made me want to vomit.
    Some milk I put in the freezer immediately after pumping, and some after a day or two in the fridge. I have no idea which milk is which of course. Do you think I need to throw it all out or should I thaw them one by one as needed and see if they are bad? If they aren't bad can I scald them then?

I hate to think I have to start over with the frozen stash. Especially since she is 8 months old now and I was planning on stopping pumping at work when she gets old enough for cows milk.

What do you think, does one bag of bad milk indicate the whole she-bang is bad???

Wish I'd read this sooner, especially the part about donating "bad" milk. I just tossed out over 40 containers (6 oz each) of frozen BM and I'm so sad I could cry. I noticed a funny smell yesterday in dd's cereal made with FBM. I checked my stash and most smelled bad so I dumped it all - I know you all know how I feel - I'm depressed beyond words. My 7 month old dd has never had formula, but I think we may have to try some this weekend to make sure she tolerates it. I express ALMOST, but not quite, enough milk at work for the next day - I'm about 2 oz. short. So, I need to have a reliable backup.

My question is this - could my BM be going bad for another reason - length of time in freezer or type of freezer? My fresh from yesterday still smelled and tasted fine this morning and I think it's good for a couple of days, but I don't use it after 2 days, so I'm not totally sure. I guess I will try scalding anyway and see if I can build some back up, but it's pretty hard now that I'm back at work

Amy

OH - forgot - also - how can I know for sure this is a lipase problem or another problem?

Amy

Hi Ladies,

I just wanted to say THANK YOU to all the people who have contributed to this thread, especially those of you have bumped it in the past!

I'm returning to work next week, and we tried a couple of bottles that I had stashed in the fridge -not more than 3 days old. My LO was soooo angry at the bottle, and we didn't figure out that it was sour milk until the second time!

She took one soapy-smelling bottle with some fussing, but I vowed to keep the fridge stash less than 48 hours old. Well, even at 24 hours, I am detecting a soapy smell. After reading this thread, I went straight to my freezer stash (over 200oz!) and it was sour and nasty!

In a way, I am just so glad that I figured this out now, and didn't leave my DH home with the LO with rotten milk. What a nightmare that would have been! I'm staying positive and I know the stash can be rebuilt.

In fact, I took out the last 5 frozen bags and am scalding them now (they smell OK). I plan to use them for the next 5 feedings, and pump & scald & freeze those 5 to start the stash again. I would much rather BF, but I don't feel comfortable leaving DH home without any emergency stash. I'm going to keep moving backwards in the frozen stash like this until I detect soap-smell. Hopefully, we will have a little freezer stash built up by Monday!

I have a question to all who have purchased a deep freezer... How big is it, and how useful have you found it? I am thinking about asking DH to buy one, but we are tight on money right now. Is it worth it? We plan on having more children, and BFing, so I know it will be put to use... I just wanted to know how others have felt about it, and how they have justified the purchase. What do you do with all that frozen milk? How does it end up getting used?

Also, are you scalding and then freezing the milk? Was there ever an answer as to which milk is better: scalded or fresh-frozen with no scalding? I am trying to decide if I should send frozen milk or scalded milk to daycare?

And, finally, this is what I have been doing at home. I hope this helps someone the way this thread has helped me out!

-Pump milk into bottle (I'm pumping directly into Avent wide-mouth).
    -Scald using a bottle warmer:
    I have a First Years Day/Night bottle warmer
    Fill the vial twice to the brim.
    Set timer for 7min 30sec (this is for a cold 9oz bottle with 5oz milk)
    Place scalded bottle into ice water bath for 10 min
    Place bottle in fridge

If you don't have a thermometer, I've tested and retested the time on this with a digital cooking thermometer, and while it isn't perfectly consistent, 7:30 always puts the milk between 160-180 for at least 20 seconds. I haven't tested this on warm/freshly expressed milk yet, but I will do it with my next pumping.

At work, I brought in a minifridge, so I will have a place to put my bottles. I think that my lipase problem is not too bad, and I will be able to express at work, bring it home at the end of the day, and scald it in the evening.

Thanks again to everyone!

Even if it is fresh frozen it will start to taste funny after a while. Sending the scalded batch is the best idea, and since your baby will have access to the fresh stuff when you are together don't worry about bb getting less of your immune system ect.