Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 28 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast

Thread: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

Default Re: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

Milk banks will take the yucky smelly rancid milk?!?!?

I have been reading all the back threads all the way till 2006, wow.. way to go for keeping this going for the lipase issue (which I just discovered I have - milk turns btw 24-48 hrs in fridge) and I was wondering why you have to rapidly cool after? I scalded in a pan, waited until the milk was pan temp then poured it into a storage back and froze. It tasted perfect after 24 hrs when thawed and the LO took it okay(but she doesn't take a bottle well regardless, probaly initially b/c I had this problem and didn't know). Is there an actual reason for the rapid cooling? Or can I just let it cool down to room temp and then put in fridge or freezer. Also does anyone ever have the problem of their milk turning again after scalding after months in the freezer? I am wondering if I can just assume b/c it was okay after 24 hrs frozen post scalding (and my other milk is not) that all milk will be okay. Also is it okay to scald after 14 hrs, I work 12 hour shifts and have a long commute... and wanted to mak sure there wasn't an issue with refrigerating then scalding then freezing and then eventually reheating... it seems to go against the once out of the fridge can't go back in rule. Can anyone please help with these answers? Thank you all so much.. it is great to know I am not crazy... but sad to know all my frozen milk is bad. I am just glad I discovered this link 2 mths before I have to go back to work so I can get my stash up again...

I've done a bunch of "testing" with the milk. I'm sure, like most things, it's different for everyone. It seems to work fine to keep cold what I pump at work then scald it when I get home. The scalded stuff seems to stay good - though I think maybe if you don't get it hot enough, it doesn't really work - I've run into a couple of bags that still turned to that yucky metallic smell. I've just let the milk cool down to room temp then bag and freeze - seems to work fine. I've also poured it up into a bottle and put in the freezer to cool then bag and freeze. Beware of this method as I'm bad about forgetting to go back to pour the milk from bottle to bag before the milk is completely frozen in the bottle.

BUT, I'm hoping that I might have actually figured this out such that I don't have to scald the milk anymore!!! I was lamenting to my husband that this is weird since I didn't have this problem at all when I breastfed and pumped for my first baby 7 years ago. Something has to be different - my food intake, my prenatals, something. I did a bunch of internet research, talked to a lactation consultant, talked to my pediatricia, talked to my OB, etc, etc... No one seemed to have an answer as to why some women have excess lipase that make their milk go bad and some don't. No one could tell me why this one woman (me) didn't have it before but has it now.

So, my husband, being the fabulous man that he is, didn't give up and searched way harder than I did for an answer. I still don't know how or where he found it, but he did. Anyway, he found a theory that it's not the milk or the lipase level in the milk. It could be metals in the water used to wash the bottles and pump parts and/or phosphates in dishwasher detergent. Trace metals stick to the bottles and pump parts and activate the enzymes in the milk.

We lived in a different house last time and had a water softener. We have moderately hard water and decided not to go with the softener when we bought this house. Like last time, I wash all my bottles and pump parts in the dishwasher.

So, I'm in the middle of an experiment. I pumped 4 oz in 2 bottles (2 oz each). One bottle and pump parts were washed as normal with our unfiltered, unsoftened tap water in the dishwashwer with dishwasher detergent than contains phosphates. One bottle and pump parts were sterilized in boiling distilled water. After sitting out at room temperature for 12 hours, neither bottle smelled particularly bad. This is really interesting since immediately after pumping it already seemed that the "dishwasher" milk had a hint of that metallic smell. The bottles are now in the freezer where they will remain for a few days. Then I'm going to thaw out the milk and see if one batch smells worse than the other. I'll be sure to post here and let you know. In the meantime I'm wondering if any other women with this issue also have hard water and/or wash their bottles and pump parts in the dishwasher.

This week we've done really well just feeding the baby expressed milk from the day before. I'm leaving it in the fridge. Thankfully it's not going bad in the fridge before he drinks it, and I've managed to pump enough each day for use the following day.

This is an adventure!

Testing my milk to see if lipase is an issue. Everything was fine and LO has no issues taking the milk but I had started taking Dom so I had oversupply and had a whole week's worth of daycare bottles in fridge. Warmed some up to make LO's cereal (he is now 9 mos) and it just smelled off. Tasted so soapy and almost made me gag. I have always noticed the soapy aftertaste in milk I had warmed up (and licked off wrist after testing its temp), but never knew what it was and it wasn't enough to make me gag! I am so glad I found this thread. I have read the entire thing but still have a few questions maybe you can help?

I don't smell this soapy smell when I am making the cold bottles in the mornings for DC or if there is a layer of cream on top of already cold bottles. But I do smell it and taste it when they are heated. Is this normal?

Used the bottle warmer and my pampered chef digital thermometer. 160-162 for 15 seconds. Even though little bubbles (and I mean tiny) were around the sides of the bottle (Medela) at 154, I didn't start counting until 160. Unplugged it immediately once it hit 160 and then into the ice bath it went.

This was on 5/31 and also left a 'control' sample of 1oz in the fridge. So far, the taste tests and sniff tests have been fine. But I wonder if I need to heat a small amount to taste and sniff. Has anyone done this and noticed something different between the cold fridge samples and the heated samples?

And does anyone else only notice the soapy taste/smell after heating?

DC says LO is taking all milk fine (actually pressures me to give more and I just send articles on how less milk is required for BF vs 'Formula' fed and the calcs on Kelly Mom which show he is getting slightly more than the high range in each bottle for 8 feeds per day).

Heating definitely seems to make the nasty smell and taste even worse, but my little one won't take cold milk. I've done a little more testing and a little more research and have some things to report.

I now boil all bottles, nipples and pump parts in distilled water after washing them in the dishwasher. I also installed a filter for all the water in the house. I've also stopped taking all prenatal vitamins. AND, I started storing frozen milk in medela bags rather than plain ziplocks.

I don't know if it's just a coincidence or if one or all of those things helped, but the lipase issue seems to be gone.

I also talked to the milk bank, and they will take frozen milk that might have a lipase issue. They pool milk from many different donors and put it through a commercial pasteurization process, so any yucky milk is pretty diluted by the time it gets to the recipient. I had already dumped some, but I'm going to get to donate a fair amount to the milk bank. I'm happy to know someone can get some good out of it.

Good luck to everyone dealing with this lipase issue. It's tough!

Great discussion thread. I had this problem late in nursing with my first and think it is back again, but much sooner, with my second.

The milk bank in Austin, at least, will take this kind of milk (mine smelled and tasted like throw up - very rancid smelling - and they still took it) because the pasteurization takes away the bad smell and there is nothing else wrong with it.

So if you have stockpiled a lot of ebm that you are thinking you have to throw out, check out a milk bank in your area and consider donating it to the preemies.

And .... its looking like excess lipase again with baby #2.

Thankfully I did tests on EBM before trying to build up a stash AND with the info in this thread I already know what to do.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Here's a write up of what works for me.

Equipment:
    - cheap bottle warmer (fancy bottle warmers often turn off if the temp gets too high)
    - EBM storage bottles (I used Medela bottles)
    - instant-read cooking thermometer to check temp (the one I have has a built in timer)
    - timer/stopwatch (if not part of your thermometer)
    - cup with icewater bath
    - freezer storage containers / bags (I used Lansinoh bags)
    - "ziplock" freezer storage bags
    - permanent marker for marking storage bags with amount EBM and the date
    - plastic (or other) freezer storage containers

Technique:
    - EBM in Medela storage bottles (about 2 or 3 oz at a time)
    - put EBM in storage bottle in a bottle warmer to scald to 145 for one minute (used more water than you're supposed to use to warm a bottle - about 1/4 cup of water)
    - during that "one minute" the temp continues to climb and maxes out in the mid-150s; as it's heating up, I gave the milk an occasional stir with the thermometer
    - after scalding, cooled EBM rapidly by putting Medela bottle in a cup with ice-water
    - froze in small batches (2 to 4 oz) in Lansinoh bags, lying flat, inside ziploc freezer bags, and then inside a plastic container so frozen EBM wasn't touching any surfaces of the freezer
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I've been scalding on the stove but it isn't working. Just to clarify, how big are those bubbles around the edge of the pot? It seems like a fine line between scalding and boiling. I've been trying to scald mine but the bad taste doesn't seem to go away so maybe I'm taking it off the stove too early? Any advice would be so greatly appreciated! I've tried putting the milk in a glass canning jar in a pot of boiling water but I can't get it up to the recommended temp. I'm not scalding large amounts of milk because I don't want to ruin too much! The thermometer is hard to keep in the center of the milk and not on the edge of the jar where it is likely to be hotter. I'm totally confused about the specifics and can't find detailed info like scalding milk for dummies on the internet!!!

Hello there, I am so glad I found this. My DD has cleft lip/palate and I pump for all her feedings. I have recently discovered that I produce to much lipase. I was wondering if anyone knew how much nutritional value is lost due to scalding? I am having to throw away bottles and am not able to build up a supply for her. Can you use only scalded milk or is there to much nutritional content lost to do this?

Thank you