Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 33 of 40 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

Default Re: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

I had this same issue with too much lipase (soapy tasting breastmilk), and was scalding all of my pumped milk with a bottle warmer. However, after about 6 weeks I one day forgot to scald a bottle while at work, and tasted it 2 days later, and it tasted fine! So apparently the condition can come and go. I don't know if this is related, but I did stop taking Omega 3-6-9 supplements as soon as I discovered the excessive lipase, since someone had thought they might contribute to the problem. I'm curious if anyone else notices this effect?

need help... I've pumped several times and have several bags of milk stored, but found out I have excess Lipase... My question is, can i scald already frozen milk? id hate to waste all that milk...

Sorry - you can try but it's probably too late to "fix" the milk you already gave frozen.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Unfortunately, no. BUT, it's okay to give the baby if your LO takes it, it won't hurt.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*caedeesmommy View Post
    need help... I've pumped several times and have several bags of milk stored, but found out I have excess Lipase... My question is, can i scald already frozen milk? id hate to waste all that milk...
    Freezing your milk can SLOW down the lipase, but it does not STOP it. So like others have already said, you can't reverse the lipase taste once it has alreadiy started. However, some of your fresher frozen stuff might not taste bad yet. I would start using your newest stuff and work backwards.

If you have a ton of frozen milk (like 200 oz) then you could donate it to a milk bank. You could also try mixing your fresh milk with the frozen, but don't forget that if your baby still drinks the icky tasting milk that it is safe! I hope your baby still drinks it.

Can you scald refrigerated milk? My lipase problem doesn't seem to hit until ~48 hrs after pumping. Also, how long does the milk need to cool before refrigeration?

Yes - you can scald refrigerated milk.

Since my EBM seems to be okay for 36 to 48 hours, I scald all mik that won't be used in the next day. For example - everything I pump on a Friday gets scalded and goes into the freezer stash. On Mondays baby gets EBM from the freezer and I use the oldest milk first.

I put EBM in the fridge (or a cooler with a blue ice pack) throughout the day, then scald at night after the kids are in bed.

The amount of time you can go between pumping and needing to scald really varies from person to person. From what I've read here, some people need to scald pretty much immediately after pumping.

Not sure about your other question - I put freshly pumped EBM into a cooler with blue ice or into a fridge. Then I take the cold EBM and use my bottle warmer to scald. The scalded EBM I cool down by putting the bottle into a cup with some ice + water. Cooled scalded EBM goes into storage bags then into the deep freezer.
    Lynn

Thanks so much! Unfortunately I think I've been leaving my scalded milk on the counter for too long (30 min- 1 hr). Baby hasn't had any of it yet. I'll just start over w/ building a stash & try your method.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*zeebaby View Post
    Thanks so much! Unfortunately I think I've been leaving my scalded milk on the counter for too long (30 min- 1 hr). Baby hasn't had any of it yet. I'll just start over w/ building a stash & try your method.
    Don't toss anything you've already scalded! EBM can sit for a little while without going immediately into the fridge / freezer.

I'd try some and see if baby takes it.
    Lynn

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*zeebaby View Post
    You really do want to cool down your milk quickly after you scald it because bacteria can easily grow at such a warm temp. However, if you are leaving your milk in an ice bath for that long it shouldn't be a problem.