Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

Default Re: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

WOW! So many things to try! I have over 300oz in the freezer and I read this forum so I tested my milk and viola I too have this problem. Thank you for all the input and tests. I need to run a few with my milk, breastfeeding is so important to me and I don't want to have to not because of work. Thanks Ladies!

Lane'sMommy - If you still have all of that milk and your lo won't drink it, you might want to contact one of the milk banks to see if they will take it. The milk is still safe to drink, just icky tasting. A milk bank may still be able to use it, especially since they mix batches of milk from different donors for pasteurization. Here is a link to find a milk bank if you're interested. http://www.hmbana.org/

I can't seem to make that link work. But that is a great idea. I keep defrosting some in the hopes he will take it, but no luck!

If you can't get the link to work, just do a search on Google or some other search engine for "Milk Bank." That should get you where you need to go.

bump

It's been awhile but with things being slow over the holidays I finally got some time to experiment with scalding. I did some test batches of scalding to 163 for 15 seconds using a bottle warmer as described above. I just did my first experiment with thawing some out, and it smells pretty horrid. LO definitely won't even try to drink it (argh!). I have been able to leave milk in the fridge for up to 4 days before it gets yucky so I think my lipase situation is only medium-bad. I guess the next step to try is freezing in a deep freezer. I think we're off to go shopping tomorrow.

I've been fortunate to be able to pump enough to keep ahead of what my DS will need for day care, but I have no emergency supply (which makes me nervous) and at some point I will need to travel for work.

Any other ideas besides the deep freezer?

Thanks -
    Lynn
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Hi Lynn,

Sorry to hear about the thawed milk!! I don't recall if you've mentioned before, but how are you freezing the milk - double bagged or in bottles? Hopefully a deep freezer will help you but sorry I don't have any other ideas at this point. Your 4 days... that's before scalding and it stays fine? If so I am totally envious as mine turns soapy within 4-6 hours if it's not scalded. I'm wondering if there are any other things besides lipase that could be causing your frozen milk to be yucky?

Caroline

Quote Originally Posted by csan View Post
    Hi Lynn,

Sorry to hear about the thawed milk!! I don't recall if you've mentioned before, but how are you freezing the milk - double bagged or in bottles? Hopefully a deep freezer will help you but sorry I don't have any other ideas at this point. Your 4 days... that's before scalding and it stays fine? If so I am totally envious as mine turns soapy within 4-6 hours if it's not scalded. I'm wondering if there are any other things besides lipase that could be causing your frozen milk to be yucky?

Caroline
    Thanks Caroline -

My max without scalding is about 4 days and I know that I'm very fortunate! I've been using the Lanisoh milk storage bags, squeezing out the extra air, double bagging in a freezer ziplock bag, and freezing flat on an upsidedown plastic container so the milk doesn't touch the freezer walls. And its away from the door. We cleaned out the freezer recently and have baking soda in there, so I don't think it's picking up other smells from the freezer. Since I think I'm doing all the other things correctly ... I think the only thing left is the temp variations in a self defrosting freezer?

Lynn
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

This is the best thread I've seen....

Too bad it was too late for me too, I also have more than 200 oz of frozen milk that LO refuses to take, and honestly I can't blame him, it smells horrible.

I just bought a bottle warmer and started experimenting. Hopefully we can get rid of the horrible smell and get LO to take the frozen milk, and build up a frozen reserve as well.

What type of deep freezers are you looking at??
    Last edited by rsaracho; December 30th, 2006 at 11:38 PM.

forwarded this info to a friend of mine, amazing topic.