Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

Default Re: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

I have the same problem with my milk getting a very horrible taste/smell, and unfortunately within 24 hours of pumping. I discovered this over the weekend when DH was practicing thawing out my frozen milk to give to DS while I'm away at work. The defrosted milk smelled like it was poured out of a rusty can, just absolutely awful. DS refused it of course. Trust me, I shed a few good tears about the 100 or so ounces of milk in the stash I have to pitch now . . . all in time for my going back to work which was today of course!

So, after I got home from my first day back at work this evening. Hubby and I did some testing in the kitchen about an effective way to bring the milk to the proper temperature so I can freeze the excess I pump. We also went out and bought a deep freezer this weekend because if I'm going through all this trouble to inactivate the lipase before freezing I want it around for a while :-)

Since DH is home part-time with DS we have a bottle warmer to make his life easier. What we found out using an instant read thermometer (about 6 bucks at the grocery store, target, etc.) is that our bottle warmer was actually the most effecient way to heat the milk to the right temperature. I use a PISA so I just take the Medela pump/store bottle, put it in the bottle warmer, add the water, hit the button and come back when it beeps in 5 mins. The brand whe have is Munchin, and I filled the measuring cup to the brim and that's the perfect amount. I held the instant read thermometer in several different bottles with varying amounts of milk and they all reached a temp of at least 180 degrees. With the cap on I'm sure the milk may even get a little warmer, I had the cap off to insert the instant read thermometer.

This makes me feel a lot better since I don't have to worry about putting the milk in a pan, etc. and worry about contamination, spilling and everything else. This will also shave off some time from having to scald the milk. I can just take what I pumped the day before which was unused (which is pretty much on it's last leg anyway) and any extra I pumped fresh that day and put it in the bottle warmer and it's done.

DS just started his part-time day care this week, I'm going to see if he'll take milk pumped from the day before. Hopefully so, but usually it has already gotten that 'signature' smell. At least we figured out the trick with the warmer. I'm sure my milk from Friday will have to be steamed to last until Monday when I'm at work.

Oh well, hope this helps someone else out there too. I've got some freezer samples going. I hope to post back in a week or so to let you know the results.

My Little Reverse Cyclers
    *DS born July 2006, nursed 3 yrs 10 mos!
    *DD born January 2011, happily nursing and bucking the bottle just like big brother
    *One Angel baby we sadly never met July 2009

Happily married to an amazing man who puts up with all my craziness since 1999.

Okay, here's an update on my samples in case anyone wants to know the results!

I had 5 samples:

No scalding/stored in refrigerator: acquired 'funky' taste within 24 hours, and slight soapy smell. I rate it as inedible after 24 hours, after 48 hours it tasted horrible enough to make me gag and run for the sink, I didn't dare taste it after 72 hours.

Scalding/stored in refrigerator: Still smelled and tasted freshly pumped after 24, 48, 72, and even 7 days later!

No scalding/stored in freezer with defroster: Smelled okay until about day 7, then it started to have the signature metallic/soapy smell, got progressively worse each day. Definitely inedible after thawing in a cup of warm water, the taste was horrid.

No scalding/stored in a deep freezer: Smelled okay still at day 7, unthawed on day 12 and while the smell wasn't as noticable as the milk kept in the freezer with the defroster the milk still tasted bad, or slightly "off". Considered inedible after a few days, however, I might consider this an option if the milk wasn't stored very long and used rather quickly.

Scalding/stored in a deep freezer: Still smelled and tasted freshly pumped after 24, 48, 72, and even 12 days later! I also defrosted it after 12 days and it tasted as if I had just pumped it. Phew! The scalding definitely works for freezer storage.

The book "Breastfeeding for the Medical Profession" by Lawrence & Lawrence is an excellent resource for understanding milk storing and just how milk is affected by freezing, scalding, etc.

I need to figure out what does more damage, the freezing or the scalding? If I can freeze my milk in the deep freezer and then warm it just prior to use that's fine with me instead of having to scald all the milk I pump at work each night when I get home. The deep freezer slows down the Lipase but it doesn't halt it. The added benefit of scalding all that I pump each day, is that if it goes unused the next day while I'm at work I can always freeze it then, which would probably mean less waste.
    Last edited by LunaticLibrarian; October 29th, 2006 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Typos

*DD born January 2011, happily nursing and bucking the bottle just like big brother

I had the same problem with excess lipase, but thankfully my milk would survive a few days before turning. My biggest problem was it turning after I put it in the freezer. Although I am done bfing for the moment, dh and I are planning to have a second baby on down the road. So, needless to say, I want to be ready for baby #2. Your method sounds like a good one... and much less a pain in the neck than getting out the saucepan. I am sure it is somewhere in this thread, but how did you decide on 180 degrees as the temperature for "scalding?"

Hi LunaticLibrarian - Thanks for responding to my pumping to maintain supply vs. meeting LOs needs thread (http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=9581)
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=9581
    Since we're back into the lipase and scalding discussion, I figured I'd respond to your latest post over here. Apologies to anyone trying to follow this!

YES! I'd love to learn more from your success scalding using bottle warmers! I applaud your tenacity and bravery experimenting - it was so hard for me to experiment knowing I might have to end up dumping more after all that hard work. If you have the time, the more detail the better would be great (especially since we live at about the same elevation), as well as the info from Lawrence & Lawrence.

I tried scalding using a little pan on the stove and using an instant read cooking thermometer - I got the little bubbles at about 160 F and then pulled the pan off the stove because I didn't want to get to a full boil and "cook" my milk too much. After freezing and thawing it seemed to taste & smell OK, but our finicky LO wasn't too excited to eat it.

We've been ok so far pumping to keep a day ahead of day care needs - my milk has kept ok in the fridge without scalding for as long as 4 or 5 days. It makes very me nervous, however, to not have any backup supply in the freezer, and at some point I will have to travel for work and will need to have a stash of milk for that.

Lynn

P.S. Very entertaining parallel - my DH just turned 39 and is waiting to hear if he got into nursing school for a very big career change.

Quote Originally Posted by minkerpinker View Post
    I am sure it is somewhere in this thread, but how did you decide on 180 degrees as the temperature for "scalding?"
    There are several sources that have 180 F as the scalding temperature, including this on kellymom.com:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/l...essedmilk.html

Okay, here's basically what I'm doing with the milk each day. Sorry, for the delay in responding.

I have the Munchkin brand bottle warmer, Target sells them for about $20. I do put more water in than the little measuring container holds. After tweaking it here and there, I put a 1/4 cup of water in the warmer and place the bottle in and let it go about its' business.

I use a Medela pump so I can place the Medela bottles right in there. I use that amount of water for anywhere between 3.5 ounces to 5 ounces of milk in the bottle. You'd need less if there is less in the bottle. I can also take the bottles right out of my cooler pack and put them in the warmer cold before I heat them. I've checked this over and over again and to my delight, the bottle warmer heats it to at least 160 degrees for 15 seconds (which is what Lawrence & Lawrence recommend). This has made life much easier when I get home from work. Still one more thing to do, but at least this way I just put the bottles in and it beeps when it's done. I usually set the bottles out on the counter to cool, while I'm doing the next one. Make sure you loosen the cap before you heat it, keep it on though as it will keep in heat. Also, if it is tightened down the bottle will collapse slightly as it cools. Once I'm finished I put the milk in Lansinoh bags or in the Medela freezer pack bottles. I don't bother with putting the milk in the fridge to cool, just directly into the deep freezer.

One other thing I thought I'd mention, when I found out about the lipase issue I immediatly bought a deep freezer. This week we had pretty good success with me just freezing my milk in the deep freezer when I got home from work, and keeping it frozen until needed. I read about that somewhere I can't recall at the moment, might have been Lawrence again. Anything extra I pump I am still scalding for long term storage, but currently I'm trying to immediately freeze the bottles for daycare the next day. My daycare is very supportive and willing to pretty much do whatever I need, I'm not sure they're all that way though. They have a non-defrosting freezer so I bring in my cooler and they take bottles from that, thaw them as needed. etc. I still pick up all that I pumped for that day at pickup time since even with the freezing and not scalding it goes 'funny' within 4 days or so. We're going to try it again this week and we'll see how it goes. As of last week, my DS took all the milk which I brought in on Friday and none of it was scalded!! Might be worth a try if you have a deep freezer.

Good luck to you! Please let me know if you have any other questions.

LunaticLibrarian - thanks SO much for the courage to experiment and for posting what's worked for you! I'm encouraged to try again. Time to go shopping this weekend to get a bottle warmer and maybe a deep freezer. And I think I'm going to ask my husband dump the 32oz or so that I froze before finding out about the lipase challenge, and have him do it while I'm out of the house!

LunaticLibrarian is not a lunatic at all. She's awesome!

Last week I tried using the bottle warmer and it is really worth every penny spent. This way to scald milk is quick and a lot more fool proof... using the pan on the stove was difficult as it seemed tricky to tell when "just before boiling" was and I think I scorched a few batches. I bought a digital thermomeer as well and so far have used that every time I use the bottle warmer just to be sure. I"m adding a lot more water to the bottle warmer than recommended and then as it starts to evaporate, sometimes I add more while the bottle is there. Anyway it's working GREAT so I highly recommend this method.

I'm scalding at work using the bottle warmer then cooling the bottle inside a larger cup filled with crushed ice and water - then I transfer to the fridge when the milk feels cool to me. DS is drinking a lot more milk when I am away and we're happy he's doing better.

Thanks for your experiments and for the help!
    C

I wish I had known about this method when I was still pumping.

One last question. So, do you heat it to 160 or 180 degrees? I saw both numbers above.

I use the bottle warmer and heat to at least 163 for 15 seconds. The page from Kellymom (link below) mentioned this lower temp. It also mentions 144.5 for a minute but I haven't been that brave.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/l...essedmilk.html