Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 23 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

Default Re: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

I have read thru most of this thread and I couldn't really find the answer. Sorry in advance if my question/answer is already in here.

I grabbed a bag of milk from my freezer and it had a metallic smell to it. Does that mean that around that date and before is where I might have a lipase problem?
    Also, could the lipase level fluctuate? I am asking this because I am sure I have used older bags and it didnt have any smell to it.
    "The biggest mistake a man can make, is to have the fear of making one" Unknown

Being "just" a mom is the most powerful thing I could ever do, and it makes me the happiest person I could be.

Josh 9/02
    Ben 7/04
    Lily Shes Walking 10/07

232*230****225****220****215****210****205****200* ***195****190********180

Lipase levels do fluctuate.

Breastmilk in preterm infants and newborns tends to contain more lipase.

Metallic does not mean lipase for sure. Is the milk still sweet? Will baby accept it?

I tried to offer her a bottle and she wouldn't have anything to do with it. It could be that she is just one of those babies who wont take bottles. The last time I offered a bottle was about 3 months ago (she was about 3 months old) It could also be the nipple. I recently changed from Avent. I just use my milk for cereal, and I had left over and figured I would try the bottle and then I smelt it after she refused it.
    "The biggest mistake a man can make, is to have the fear of making one" Unknown

Being "just" a mom is the most powerful thing I could ever do, and it makes me the happiest person I could be.

Josh 9/02
    Ben 7/04
    Lily Shes Walking 10/07

232*230****225****220****215****210****205****200* ***195****190********180

hmmm. Try offering a taste of some fresh stuff in the bottle to see if it's just the bottle. Then work from there.

Hi,

I too have this excessive lipase problem and LO refuses frozen milk. DH tried the milk once and said it was absolutely disgusting tasting (he said it tasted sour and soapy). I'm wondering if it's okay to use the frozen milk to mix into solids? I'm sure it will change the taste of the food but is it harmful to use? I asked a lactation consultant and she said it should be fine but I'd just like your opinions! And, my stash is from back in Oct 2007 - the LC said it's fine to use - what do u think?

Thats a long time ago, I would consider donating it to a local milk bank instead of tossing it. They pasteurize and may accept it. Read this chart about milk storage: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/m...e-preemie.html . Your deep freeze life is around 6 months.

Lipase starts digesting the fats in the milk- thus the soured taste.
    If you have more recent stuff you can try it, but generally if your baby refuses it - it's done. Mixed or not. hth

Even more details on milk storage and transportation: http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/t026900.asp

Actually the shelf life in a deep freezer is 6-12 months according to kellymom.com for full-term babies.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkstorage.html

Also, the Stanford University website says 12 months at -20° to 0° F.
    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...hipNStore.html

Right. The newest research tells us the breastmilk is far more flexible in storage than we ever knew before. When all else fails, the smell/sniff test is still valid.

Quote Originally Posted by Give Peas A Chance View Post
    When all else fails, the smell/sniff test is still valid.
    Yep...I can smell it right from the freezer if my milk is going to be bad tasting. You can try putting it in food. It won't be harmful if your baby accepts it, but I would taste a little first so you have an idea of what you are offering your baby...I just about puked the first time I tasted my milk before I realized I had this problem.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

I tasted it and it was awful! I almost puked too! I guess it's going to waste.