Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 22 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

Default Re: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

I'd like to encourage all new members of our club,

DO NOT THROW OUT YOUR HORRID TASTING FROZEN MILK SUPPLY.

At least not until you have time to consider your options. Maybe you can use it in oatmeal, as someone else suggested. Maybe you can donate to a milk bank, I think someone earlier in this thread indicated a milk bank in Ohio might take it. (Most babies in the NICU are fed by tube the first few weeks/months, so taste is irrelevant.)

Maybe there is nothing you can do with this milk and you will eventually throw it away. However, unless you have some urgent need for emptying your freezer, take time to consider your options. Maybe you'll want to make it into soap. I always give my unused milk to my houseplants. I figure its probably good plant food.

Once you throw it out, it's gone for good. If our adopted baby won't take my milk, I will give it to a friend for her adopted baby. For her last child, may women gave her milk and she just mixed the small bags together in one bottle so the taste of my milk wasn't evident. He drank my milk for about a year before we realized my problem. (I always saved my milk for a year before I gave it to her.)

So, as awful as this is, I'd recommend against being reactionary.
    Last edited by Hopin' for another; April 27th, 2008 at 12:09 PM.

Ditto PP, my local milk bank took my milk because they mix it in with other large quantities so it dilutes the bad taste. Made me feel alot better about the 150oz I thought no one could use. Hopefully it helps some sick little baby.

Lightbulb Re: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

Hi guys, I'm a new mom and my little one is one month and. I just started working part time and went to show my mom how to defrost my milk and how to work the Philip Avent bottle warmer when I noticed that I had the same problem. At first I though it was the bottle warmer that was making my milk to go bad then I defrosted using warm water and the same thing happened Lucky my little one does not seem to mind the horrible taste which I have learned here that the milk is still ok to drink My question is that I usually pump and leave the next day supply for my mom which is still fresh and sweet and freeze the extra milk supply. My little one is taking the soapy taste milk now but I'm afraid that she will stop when she grows a little older. Should I freeze all the milk I pump and always leave her with the frozen horrible taste one so she will always be used to the taste? Is non frozen milk better for the baby? Please your opinion and experiences on this is greatly appreciated.

Also I want to make sure that is 100% ok to give this milk to my little one, she has been having a lot of colic and I want to make sure is not from this.
    Last edited by miaubr; May 5th, 2008 at 09:58 PM.

Hey there! I have the same problem with lipase From everything I've read on here and on Kellymom.com it is okay for baby to drink the bad tasting milk and it won't hurt. I'm really sorry your baby is having colic. You could always try scalding the milk first (before it starts tasting bad) and see if that helps.

I would continue what you are doing as long as your baby is fine taking the milk. But, if reach a point where she doesn't want to take it anymore, scalding your milk first is really easy and doesn't take long at all. here is a link about lipase issues and it mentions scalding

I think a lot of moms use a bottle/food warmer to scald the milk. I've read that you have to "trick" the warmer by adding more water and doing some experimenting until you know how much you should add. I just use a pan and a canning jar to scald mine and it doesn't take me long at all. Feel free to private message me if you would like details on how I scald milk.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Quote Originally Posted by miaubr View Post
    My question is that I usually pump and leave the next day supply for my mom which is still fresh and sweet and freeze the extra milk supply. My little one is taking the soapy taste milk now but I'm afraid that she will stop when she grows a little older. Should I freeze all the milk I pump and always leave her with the frozen horrible taste one so she will always be used to the taste? Is non frozen milk better for the baby? Please your opinion and experiences on this is greatly appreciated.
    Fresh milk is ALWAYS better than frozen, frozen milk is preferable to scalded, and scalded milk is better than none at all. =)

Freezing and/or scalding BM does change the properties of BM, that is why fresh is always best.

thank you guys for the answers, really helped.

For moms that use bottle warmers to scald their milk, there was a recall today on the Munchkin bottle warmers. Here is the info:
    Name of Product: Deluxe Bottle and Food Warmers

Units: About 5,000

Manufacturer: Munchkin Inc., of North Hills, Calif.

Hazard: The bottle and food warmers can overheat, posing a fire hazard.

Incidents/Injuries: Munchkin has received nine reports of units
    overheating, several of which ignited, causing damage to countertops. No
    injuries have been reported.

Description: This recall involves the Munchkin Deluxe Bottle and Food
    Warmer with Pacifier Cleaning Basket 2-in-1 Design, model #13301 and lot
    number TP-1487. The product is used to warm food and bottles of various
    sizes. The set includes a main basket, a lift-out basket, an adapter
    ring, and a measuring cup. "Munchkin" is located on the front of the
    warmer and "TP-1487" is located on the bottom. Only warmers bearing lot
    number "TP-1487" are included in this recall.

Sold at: Various retailers nationwide and company's catalog from June
    2007 through April 2008 for about $20.

Manufactured in: China

Remedy: Consumers should stop using bottle and food warmers with lot
    number TP-1487 immediately and contact Munchkin to receive a free
    replacement.

Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact customer service
    toll-free at (866) 619-8673 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. PT Monday through
    Friday, or visit the firm's Web site at www.munchkin.com

To see this recall on CPSC's web site, including pictures of the
    recalled product, please go to:
    http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml08/08263.html

Quote Originally Posted by miaubr View Post
    Should I freeze all the milk I pump and always leave her with the frozen horrible taste one so she will always be used to the taste? Is non frozen milk better for the baby? Please your opinion and experiences on this is greatly appreciated.
    I think it depends on how much milk you have available and how much you can freeze. It's true fresh is better than frozen which is better than scalded. However, I would look at this from the big picture. I always liked to have as much emergency milk saved as possible. That way if something happened so I couldn't nurse for awhile, at least my son would have food--hopefully until I could start nursing again.

So, I'd take that into consideration.

I decided to leave her fresh milk and then 2-3 times a week I would unfreeze a bag so she can continue to drink the funky taste one so that way I don't have the risk down the road to have a full freezer of milk wasted. I'm working part time and am freezing in bags of 6 oz which I make two bottles of 3 oz for my mom to give her when I'm away. I'm usually freezing 6 oz every two days or less plus what I leave her with.

tks so much guys for all the tips, really helped.