Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 16 of 40 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

Default Re: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

Like many others, I am so grateful to have found this forum. After having thrown away a substantial amount of frozen milk, I feel like I can keep breastfeeding/pumping after obtaining all the useful information that everyone has shared here.

I am uncertain about the proper handling of scalded milk. When warming a bottle of scalded milk for feeding, for how long is the milk good? Can it be warmed again for a feeding, say another hour later?

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by WorkNPump View Post
    I am uncertain about the proper handling of scalded milk. When warming a bottle of scalded milk for feeding, for how long is the milk good? Can it be warmed again for a feeding, say another hour later?

Thank you!
    I don't know, but I'd think you'd handle thawed scalded milk the same way you'd handle any other thawed milk. According to the info I got with my breastpump, thawed milk can be kept in the fridge for 24 hours and at room temp for an hour. I may have seen more info on reusing thawed milk on askdrsears.com, but I don't remember if that's the site or if I saw it somewhere else.

Glad you've found the forum useful - welcome to the club!

I've always had a one hour rule for when warming milk for a feeding. I know others are not so stringent but this has worked for me. One hour after bm is warmed for a feeding we consider it "expired" and don't re use it. We may end up giving a few smaller portions of milk throughout the day instead of one big portion. This has worked for us.

I just discovered that my stash was bad (defrosted stuff smelled bad, did a taste test and was shocked I didn't vomit, no wonder DS refuses the bottle!) so now I have to rebuild it *sigh*.
    I know lots of people are using bottle warmers to scald their milk, but is anyone using a plain ol' pot? (I don't pump often enough to justify a bottle warmer) If so how are you cooling down the milk? Pouring it into another container before cooling or cooling it in the pot?
    Thanks!
    Mellie
    mama to
    DS June 2007
    DD1 April 2009
    DD2 April 2011

I tried scalding some EBM directly in a pot - but I found that it was tricky to do without scorching the EBM.

I haven't tried this - but am thinking that more of a double boiler approach might work? Or maybe EBM in a glass bottle, and the glass bottle in a pot of water that is heated?

We used the absolutely cheapest bottle warmer that we could find for scalding .....
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by lsksam View Post
    I haven't tried this - but am thinking that more of a double boiler approach might work? Or maybe EBM in a glass bottle, and the glass bottle in a pot of water that is heated?
    The only problem I can think of is how does one cool the glass without cracking it? I'm trying to remember if Pyrex would shatter or not.

Hmm, maybe I should look into getting a bottle warmer...
    Mellie
    mama to
    DS June 2007
    DD1 April 2009
    DD2 April 2011

Question Re: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

Uh oh... What caused the milk to go bad? I have a bank of EBM frozen. I thought I would only have to warm it... does it have to get really hot first?
    I hope I'm not doing this wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by mamamellie View Post
    I know lots of people are using bottle warmers to scald their milk, but is anyone using a plain ol' pot? (I don't pump often enough to justify a bottle warmer) If so how are you cooling down the milk? Pouring it into another container before cooling or cooling it in the pot?
    Thanks!
    Before I did the bottle warmer thing, I did use a pot. I used a candy thermometer and brought the milk up to 150F for 1 minute. (This is per Dr. Lawrence's guidelines.) Then I cooled it in a pyrex measuring cup.

Quote Originally Posted by beru View Post
    Before I did the bottle warmer thing, I did use a pot. I used a candy thermometer and brought the milk up to 150F for 1 minute. (This is per Dr. Lawrence's guidelines.) Then I cooled it in a pyrex measuring cup.
    I'm pretty sure I have a candy thermometer around somewhere. I think I'll try that way. Thanks beru!
    Mellie
    mama to
    DS June 2007
    DD1 April 2009
    DD2 April 2011

So I'm possibly going to be getting a promotion which would require me to attend Court 3 days a week which pretty much equals no pumping those days and I'm trying to stock up. What would make this easier of course, is if I didn't have to scald.

So, to my question - since my milk just started going bad out of the blue one day - is it possible that it would stop having excess lipase out of the blue? Meaning, should I occasionally put an ounce in the fridge without scalding and see what happens?

Has anyone had this happen? I might try it this weekend but I hate to lose even an ounce when I'm pumping just enough to squeak by and in a few weeks it may not be enough.
    Married to DH in 2006

New mama to Logan 6/15

We are figuring this baby thing out day by day!