Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 15 of 40 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

Default Re: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

As far as activity and lipase goes I will rattle the cage again for you. I have extreme doubts over that information.

My lactation consultant said that high lipase should only be transitory. It's often caused by women exercising too much or not eating enough. If it is ongoing, the woman should see her doctor.
    I totally agree with you Carpentergirl, I don't see how the above quote about lipase and exercise could possibly be accurate. Lipase is created by the pancreas, and diseases of the pancreas can cause an abnormal increase. In perfectly healthy women, they can simply have higher levels in their milk.

In all my reading and researching lipase when I was first learning about this never mentioned exercise at all, or that it was transitory. I'm thinking the LC may of misunderstood, or simply not known, and had thought it was lactic acid and not lipase which was being discussed.

Ok, totally unrelated to the current part of this thread, but I just have to say thanks. It may have been the scalding, or the new deep freeze, but last week after the long Christmas break I needed to thaw milk for daycare and didn't have any issues. It smelled like roses. Thanks for all of your help. I was so happy, I've started working on freezing in vollume again.

About 3 or 4 weeks ago I stopped taking both flax and DHA (algae based) supplements to see if that would change the lipase levels. I just tasted milk I pumped, but did not scald, less than 36 hours ago. YUCK!

This is frustrating. For the first several months my milk could last a week in the fridge with no change in taste. Now it's vile in less than 1 1/2 days. I wish someone knew what caused this. It doesn't seem to be DHA levels (unless they take a really long time to fall when you stop taking supplements.)

I'll post more later, but the research I have done points to salt bile lipase as the cause. Exercise and diet doesn't seem to effect salt bile levels in bm. Scalding is your solution for deactivating or slowing the enzyme down. If I recall correctly, the lipase that the mother makes for herself is different from the one that passes into bm and into the babies digestive tract.

I'd love more info on the salt bile lipase. I'm sure everyone agrees that a simple diet change would be great if that would make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopin' for another View Post
    It doesn't seem to be DHA levels (unless they take a really long time to fall when you stop taking supplements.)
    Well, crap! There goes my theory - and I just stopped taking the DHA - was too expensive. Oh, well. Thanks for the update!

Quote Originally Posted by amyped View Post
    Well, crap! There goes my theory - and I just stopped taking the DHA - was too expensive. Oh, well. Thanks for the update!
    One can always hope. If you're off it for an extended period of time, maybe you'll see a change. I'm staying off another week, just in case. I'll psst my findings next week.

By the way, I get 120 200 mg capsules of algae DHA from amazon. If you're on their automatic shipping list, it's only about $38 a bottle, which comes to less than $10 a month. It does have gelatin in it, so it's not totally vegetarian. I'd be curious if anyone else has a source for quality, inexpensive vegetarian DHA. There's a company that does egg based, but I can't remember who they are.

The amazon link is:
    http://www.amazon.com/Source-Natural...0084339&sr=8-5

When I can stand to post on the forum i will come back with details. I can't handle the refreshing. I am here if you want to talk: http://llleus.org/forums/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    When I can stand to post on the forum i will come back with details. I can't handle the refreshing. I am here if you want to talk: http://llleus.org/forums/index.php
    I tried to find you on the forum, but I just got a general page. Where are you specifically? I'd like more info on the salt bile lipase.