Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 14 of 40 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

Default Re: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

When you scals your milk after it cools does it have a skin over it? How do I get rid of this?

Mine doesn't have a "skin" so much. I think it just tends to separate more than my milk did before I had to start scalding. I do a bad thing and shake it up. I know you are supposed to "gently swirl" and I did that for a while but it didn't work too well. I figure if I am already scalding and losing some good "stuff" that way - and he isn't getting all of his milk from the bottle I can shake it to mix it back up when I need to. That's just what I do. HTH!
    Married to DH in 2006

New mama to Logan 6/15

We are figuring this baby thing out day by day!

I swirl mine frequently through the heating process. It doesn't make much, if any, skin doing this.

I posted this before, I think, but I'll add it here in case anyone needs it. The way I heat my milk is to put it in a canning jar and put it in a small pot of water. I put a candy thermometer in the milk and bring the water to a boil. I use an oven mitt to frequently swirl my milk. Because I can only pump an ounce or 2 at a time, my thermometer doesn't reach into the milk, but stops right above it. I've found it's fastest if I wait until the thermometer reads 180 degrees, then I tilt the jar so the thermometer is in the milk. If the thermometer hasn't read 180 very long, the temp will decrease when I tilt the jar. I then set the jar upright for a bit and then retilt it again.

Once the milk is 180 degrees, I take the jar out of the water to cool. I made the mistake once of trying to encourage the cooling process by putting the jar in cool water. Dumb mistake. The glass cracked and I had to throw away all the milk.
    Last edited by Hopin' for another; January 2nd, 2008 at 10:46 AM.

I returned to work this week and noticed my freezer stash smells yucky! DD ate previously frozen milk for 3 days before I noticed it. I asked her babysitter how she did drinking the milk and she said she was fine. If anything she wanted more than the four oz in each bottle.

I'm assuming I have a Lipase issue. I tasted it and it had a nasty metallic taste. I don't know how long mine lasts before going "bad." Is it safe for DD to eat it this way? Should I go ahead and start scalding it before freezing even though DD eats it? What's best...bad taste all nutrients or good taste slightly less nutritious.

Also, DD had 5 poopy diapers at babysitters (7-4) which is a lot for her. Could this be bec. of a problem w/ the milk??

Welcome to the boards! You're in good company

If anything she wanted more than the four oz in each bottle.
    Wow, that's a lot, good for her! How old is your LO by the way?

I don't know how long mine lasts before going "bad."
    I would do some sample testing, you only need an ounce or so to do the comparisons. Scald one bottle, note the date, then do some taste test with an un-scalded bottle and it will start to be pretty clear to you when you would no longer want the milk b/c of the taste. I have a few hours. As long as I scald my milk by dinner time I'm okay, if not, then I have to toss it or mix it with milk that is scalded but pumped more recently.

Is it safe for DD to eat it this way?
    Yes, it is perfectly safe to eat the milk, some kids don't mind the taste at all. Lipase is a perfectly normal enzyme to aid digestion, some mommies just make to much of it. Since we are in essence doing something unnatural, pumping milk and using it later, we run into 'problems' such as too much lipase. If our kids eat straight from the tap, the amount of lipase in the milk is/would be a non-issue and go completely unnoticed.

Should I go ahead and start scalding it before freezing even though DD eats it?
    Personally, I would scald anything you put into the freezer, as you build up your stash the milk will potentially stay in there for longer and longer periods. I have milk that is 12 months old, ranging through the extra I pumped today. Freezing slows down lipase activity but does not stop it, only some unreasonably cold temp that your home freezer, or deep freezer, cannot obtain will stop lipase activity in milk. If it is all scalded, which halts the lipase activity, you won't have to worry about it being bad when you do go to use it.

What's best...bad taste all nutrients or good taste slightly less nutritious.
    I tried and tried, to use my milk from the day before with out scalding it, it just didn't last that long. So I had to go with slightly less nutritious. I do have to ask though, are you talking about freezing and scalding or just scalding? Both destroy some nutrients and immunological factors, but scalding and freezing does more. I scald everything, but he only gets scalded and frozen as back up as needed, or sometimes on Monday as I try to rotate through my stash a bit more. Remember, any milk made by mama, is far superior to formula.

Also, DD had 5 poopy diapers at babysitters (7-4) which is a lot for her. Could this be bec. of a problem w/ the milk??
    That does seem like a lot to me. It most likely isn't the milk, in my opinion, it's the same milk she's been drinking straight from you, that didn't change. If you start scalding your milk you may actually see the reverse, the lipase is destroyed, so the digestive aid isn't there. My son was a little slower in the BM area when I had to start scalding at first, but everything evened out in a week or so. It could just be an odd day too, I would just keep and eye on things and see if it continues.

HTH, again welcome to the boards!

Quote Originally Posted by Hopin' for another View Post
    My LC didn't say ALL women have increased lipase because of exercise or diet, only that some women do. She hadn't heard anything about DHA, but I'm still hoping. I'll try a sample batch again when I've been off the DHA for a couple weeks.
    Any updates on this?

Re: skin of pp when milk is cooling. I stir constantly while cooling it in ice water (put pan in large bowl of ice water). No skin.

Thanks! DD will be 3 mos next week. That's why I was surprised when she said DD wanted more than 4oz. Maybe it's a growth spur...idk.

I'm probably going to start scalding with the bottle warmer as soon as I get one. I don't think mine turns real fast...I'll have to start experimenting. I'm surprised she drinks the "yucky" milk too. I'll try the mixing what I have with fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by LunaticLibrarian View Post

Personally, I would scald anything you put into the freezer, as you build up your stash the milk will potentially stay in there for longer and longer periods. I have milk that is 12 months old, ranging through the extra I pumped today. Freezing slows down lipase activity but does not stop it, only some unreasonably cold temp that your home freezer, or deep freezer, cannot obtain will stop lipase activity in milk. If it is all scalded, which halts the lipase activity, you won't have to worry about it being bad when you do go to use it.
    Can you really keep it that long if scalded?

I tried and tried, to use my milk from the day before with out scalding it, it just didn't last that long. So I had to go with slightly less nutritious. I do have to ask though, are you talking about freezing and scalding or just scalding? Both destroy some nutrients and immunological factors, but scalding and freezing does more. I scald everything, but he only gets scalded and frozen as back up as needed, or sometimes on Monday as I try to rotate through my stash a bit more. Remember, any milk made by mama, is far superior to formula.
    I meant not scalding it and letting her eat it with the bad taste since she'll take it. I was giving her all previously frozen milk, but now I'll give her fresh (scalded if needed) with frozen as a back up. Maybe I'll take some scalded to be frozen in her babysitters freezer for back up.

That does seem like a lot to me. It most likely isn't the milk, in my opinion, it's the same milk she's been drinking straight from you, that didn't change. If you start scalding your milk you may actually see the reverse, the lipase is destroyed, so the digestive aid isn't there. My son was a little slower in the BM area when I had to start scalding at first, but everything evened out in a week or so. It could just be an odd day too, I would just keep and eye on things and see if it continues.
    She usually only goes 2x a day. She went poop one more time last night and not at all today...yet. DD's babysitter has never watched breastfed babies and was concerned about her poop the first day. I forgot to warn her that it would be watery...and that she was loud when she went. Oops

Question Re: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

ok so i just went to use some EBM that i had frozen.. and had read on here that some people's milk smelled funny after freezing so i smelled it and OMG!! it was awful i didnt taste it as i have never tasted breast milk in the first place but knew if it smelled that bad no way was i gonna give it to my LO...

now i know i have to scald it b4 i can freeze it....

my question now is if my LO dont drink the whole bottle can it be refrigerated and the reheated for a later feeding ???? i am not a new mom just new to pumping and freezing EBM

Welcome to the boards too!

ok so i just went to use some EBM that i had frozen.. and had read on here that some people's milk smelled funny after freezing so i smelled it and OMG!! it was awful i didnt taste it as i have never tasted breast milk in the first place but knew if it smelled that bad no way was i gonna give it to my LO...
    I hate to say this, but breastmilk either fresh or frozen always smells 'bad' to me, almost like a rancid butter smell. I would really suggest that you taste the milk, you don't have to chug it, just a tiny bit on your pinkie and that's all you need. Milk with too much lipase, or mine anyway, smells like a nasty old tin-can not a sour smell, that's why I suggest you also taste it. Taste some you just pumped and then some in your stash. You can always do the test too with scalding some and leaving some unscalded and tasting them over a period of hours, then days. If you have a lipase problem that will help you determine your window for scalding.

Scalding is a lot of work, especially if you go back to work and have to scald it all when you get home. I would hate for someone to do that when it wasn't necessary, it also destroys some of the nutrients in the milk and you don't want to do that unnecessarily either.

Okay, back to DifferJean's questions too ;-)

Can you really keep it that long if scalded?
    Yep, sure can. I have a deep freezer, which is colder than your refrigerator freezer. In books and websites you will usually see 12 months, or longer, listed as the possible storage duration for a deep freezer.

Maybe I'll take some scalded to be frozen in her babysitters freezer for back up.
    Great idea, many mom's leave some frozen milk at DC for emergencies. Mine has been dipped into more than once. Accidents happen, dad forgets a bottle in the fridge (oops!), or I get off late from work and he's hungry. I do rotate my frozen at daycare much faster. I usually keep milk there from the same month b/c one time they were worried it was too old, it wasn't, but I rotate that milk frequently so they don't have to worry.