Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

Default Re: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

I was just coming here to post and report my findings! LOL!

Through research (including the above articles), I discovered that the best method for scalding is the the stove top. HOWEVER, if a stove top is unavailable, microwaving is an option.

Since microwaving destroys immunilogical properties and possibly some of the nutrition in ebm, it's best to do so only if absolutely neccessary. This wouldn't be a good method to use if, for example, the baby is exclusively fed expressed breastmilk. But, in the case of a WOHM, this might be an option as microwaved breastmilk is still more sound nutrition than formula. That being said, microwaved ebm MUST be treated in the same manor as formula (meaning don't refeed milk left in bottle, don't leave out of the fridge, ect) for food safety reasons. Also, there should be extra care to assure all bottles, pump parts that touch the milk, rings, nipples, and (of course!) hands, are throughly cleaned before handling the milk.

If you think about it, this really does make sense because of the way microwave cooking works! Other types of cooking are much more gentle to the molecules in the food.

I think I have the same lipase problem. I read on another web site that cutting out soy from one's diet can solve the issue. Has anyone had that experience? Are there any other dietary changes that can be made to help with the problem?

Thanks!
    Amy

Abaco ~ Could you provide a link to the site you mention? I haven't been able to find anything relating lipase to diet and would love to read more if that's the case. I haven't eliminated soy, but have been more or less avoiding it since its presence in the diet can trigger allergies in a bf'd DB (and we have a family history of allergies). That said, it's in a lot of things and I know I haven't been successful in avoiding its more hidden forms.

I do know that many pre-natal (and maybe even regular multi-vitamins) have added lipase, and I thought those would have been mentioned as something to avoid in information I've found on the lipase issue (which is not a lot). But I haven't seen mention of a relationship between lipase & diet, and I'm not even sure whether the lipase in a vitamin would make it directly to your milk supply.
    Thanks!

Hi Beth,

Here is where I read it
    http://parents.berkeley.edu/advice/nursing/lipase.html

That's all I've found on it so far, which is why I was hoping to find out if others with the problem had any experience? I am not a big consumer of soy, but I do usually have 1 glass of soy milk every day...

Thanks!

Well, if it's a choice between microwaved milk and formula, that's a no brainer.

I scalded my milk in the microwave at work. My milk would go off in an hour or two, so I had no choice but to do it there. Since my DD is allergic to milk and soy, giving my DS breastmilk was a high priority and he did well on the microwaved milk. Not ideal but a LOT better than formula.

I have excess lipase in my BM and excluding soy from your diet does not change this (in my experience anyway). Both my children are allergic to dairy and soy, so these have been eliminated from my diet since my now 2 year old was 4 months old. My EBM still turns within 48 hours and when it is frozen without being scalded. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. If anyone finds any other helpful suggestions keep them coming as this lipase issue is a real pain.

Unhappy Re: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

I was reading about the lipase issue above and I didn't even realize this could happen. I have been pumping and storing milk since my daughter was 3 weeks old, she is now 12 weeks and I have a stock pile of 17 bags of milk. My husband got out a bag today (the first one stored actually) while I was at work and said he had a heck of a time getting her to take it. I smelled what was in the bottle and it did smell kind of soapy. I dumped it out but now I am wondering if the same thing will happen with all that I have stored so far? How do you know if your lipase is high? Will I have to scrap all that I've saved? Any advice?

This is a great thread! Many thanks to Mami_Kathy for linking me to it!

I also would like to know if, (other than quickly turning BM), there is a test of some kind to show excessive Lipase.

I guess I am one of the lucky ones, as my BM stays good for about 2 days in the refrigerator and about 2 weeks in the freezer.

I am going to test a batch of BM that I have expressed today at work, to let you all know how (or if) it works when there has been a few hour (chilled) delay between pumping and scalding. I will scald then re-refrigerate a portion to see how much longer (if any) it stays good, and I will scald then freeze a portion to see if it is still good when thawed. The remainder of the batch I will simply keep refrigerated without scalding to use as a comparison. I will share my "scientific" results on this thread when I am done.
    Last edited by Bobindy1; June 14th, 2006 at 08:45 AM.

Well? How did the test go?

hehe, as luck would have it (and as motherhood of a new baby goes...) I just didn't have time for all that scientific stuff. However I did learn a thing or two:

My milk has in the past stayed pretty fresh smelling and tasting for about 3 days with refrigeration. But lately (since I decided to begin trying the scalding process) It is turning much sooner.. like after 24 hours. This leads me to believe the excessive lipase might be due to dietary or activity issues? Has there been any research into this possibility?

Also, I was uncomfortable putting the milk in a metal pan, so I did a double boiler-type of method: I put the milk in a large glass measuring dish which I then placed in a pan of boiling water. The milk took forever to get up to temp!!! I was aiming for 180 degrees F and for only 10 oz of milk it took over 15 minutes. This was with the water ALREADY at the boil. Once the milk reached 160 degrees it stalled and took a long time to get any hotter. Also, I learned that the milk (just like cows milk) must be stirred when heated or it will get a skin on top.

I know this isn't much good information for anyone else but it does generate more questions!!! LOL

Is it safe to put the milk directly in a metal pan? If so, is it safe to stir with metal or should I use a plastic something or other?

I promise I WILL do my experiments! And I will share my results with everyone. And I will do it soon!