Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 8 of 40 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

Default Re: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

To be VERY clear, I think your IBCLC meant "scald" vs "boil". Scalding is heating just until bubbles form around the edge of the pan. NEVER bring your ebm to full boil.

HTH!

Actually, she did say "boil," and not "scald." I was very surprised at this too. However, I should clarify that this was an e-mail "conversation" and she was responding to my comments about wanting to try using a bottle warmer. She said I should boil the milk, and that the bottle warmer wouldn't get the milk hot enough nor heat it evenly.

So it's quite possible she didn't literally meant to boil (as in cook to 212-deg) but rather she was using the term to mean "cook in a pot on a stovetop as opposed to in a bottle warmer."

In any event, using a bottle warmer seems to reliably get the milk to 170-180 degrees and from all I've read that's an optimal temperature.

I've been using a bottle warmer to scald my milk - I've been doing 145 degrees for 1 minute (the temp continues to climb and maxes out in the mid-150s). As it's heating up, I give the milk an occasional stir with the thermometer.

So far, this scalding technique has been working for me to have useable frozen bm.

I did have to get a deep freeze - I was having problems with the defrost cycle in the freezer on top of my fridge.

Hope this helps!
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

So glad this thread is still active! I bookmarked it when I discovered the problem in Feb. or March, and just checked back to see what others are doing and share what is working for us. My daughter will have her first birthday in a couple of weeks, and we are still going strong. This is my routine at work, imperfect as it may be. We are fortunate enough to have a lactation room at work with a small refrigerator and sink so I have the privacy and space to do this:

After pumping, I pour all the milk directly into a $10 hot pot from Target purchased for this purpose. The milk heats quickly while I am dismantling my equipment and rearranging my clothing. I pour the scalded milk into a heat-proof mug to chill in the fridge, then wash out the hot pot. At my second pumping session (I only do two b/c DD reverse cycles and only drinks about 8 oz while I'm at work), I transfer the chilled milk back into the Medela bottles and repeat the process. At the end of the day I go back to the lactation room, transfer the second batch of chilled milk from the mug into bottles, pack up and commute home.

It was very difficult throwing away several hundred ounces of unscalded milk, so I didn't do it all at one time. I did it by batch, after a bunch was 3-4 months old anyway -- took the sting out a little bit. Now everything in my freezer has been scalded and we have a small stash, but it's still a stash.

Hoping to keep nursing and let my DD take the lead when she's ready to wean. But am considering reducing and dropping down to one pumping session after her first birthday. In no hurry to make any changes, though. Will see what feels right at the time.

Lipase reprieve?

My $10 hotpot from Target is starting to flake on the bottom and that makes me very nervous so I decided not to use it yesterday, but to wait until I got home and scald on the stove. The report from this morning is that DD was drinking it just fine! So I'm pitching the hot pot! Horray!

Thank you so much to all of you who have posted on this thread. You have been a fantastic help.

I just wanted to add that I did not have this problem in the first few months of my DD's life. It started this summer - the telltale strings of fat and the horrid soapy burning taste. Two things changed: I started to eat a lot of flaxseeds in order to boost my omega-3 levels (which, interestingly enough, are fatty acids) and I took an herbal galactogogue. The problem has long outlasted taking the galactogogue.

My guess is that it is the flaxseeds. I stopped eating them today, so, if my milk goes back to its nice old self, I'll let you know!

Wow! I throw flaxseeds on my cereal all the time. Never thought of that! Eagerly awaiting results of your experiment!

Here is the result of stopping my flaxseed supplements:
    NO MORE LIPASE PROBLEM!!!!

I still eat fish 1x per week and lots of walnuts. But, after a about a week of not putting 1 tablespoon of flaxseeds on my cereal in the morning, my milk went back to normal. Now, after well over 12 hours, the milk smells and tastes fresh. No fat separation - just a lovely white cream on top. Just like it was when I first started pumping.

Over a week ago, I would leave the milk in the fridge for only an hour or two, and it would immediately turn into a stinky, stringy, soapy tasting mess.

I guess it makes sense. If I'm taking a LOT of omega-3's, specifically through flaxseed supplements, my body might respond by making more of the enzyme which breaks down the fatty acids.

I really hope this helps some of you. It's a very big relief for me.

DANG!!! Where was this thread three years ago?

My dd wouldn't take a bottle and I couldn't even sneak my milk into rice cereal or anything.. not even a drip on the finger!! She thought it was absolutely disgusting. And it was actually pretty fresh, but I always thought it was stinky. It was the strangest thing to have a daughter who, to this day, LOVED breastfeeding but couldn't STAND the taste of breast milk.

Lipase.. dang.

Oh well.. too late now.

bump