Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 7 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

Default Re: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

bumped up for kandykane57

What a terrific thread. I too seem to have this issue with my breastmilk--I can sympathize with all the women who are getting ready to go back to work and have had to toss their banked supplies. I am getting ready to do that and just want to weep; my LO feeds so frequently still, I find it almost impossible to pump any significant amount of milk.

Using the bottle warmer to scald is genius! and I've already begun experimenting with this. To the person who was concerned about heating the Medela bottles to that temperature and possible contamination of the plastic, I wanted to offer that I've been using the Dr. Brown's bottles; they fit the PIS connectors perfectly and the lexan-type container seems more heat tolerant. Anyway--I have a question about destroying the lipase--since this is part of the magic quality of BM that makes it so digestible, could giving my LO scalded milk give her more gas/intestinal woes? She's incredible gassy and colicky now and I hate to add fuel to the fire, so to speak.

Hello,

I did notice a slight change in my son's bowel movements when I first started scalding my milk. He wasn't on any solids yet, they changed from the seedy to more of a paste. The Lawrence & Lawrence books says it's fine as long as all of baby's milk is not scalded. (Which I find odd since all donated breastmilk is pasteurized.) My son never had a problem, the output just looked a little different.

Once you're back at work and are pumping at feeding times instead of trying to build your stash in between feedings you'll quickly catch up. The let down gets easier with the pump too. I get my bag out and head to my pumping spot and I'm already feeling my let down. It gets a lot easier later on.

HTH

My Little Reverse Cyclers
    *DS born July 2006, nursed 3 yrs 10 mos!
    *DD born January 2011, happily nursing and bucking the bottle just like big brother
    *One Angel baby we sadly never met July 2009

Happily married to an amazing man who puts up with all my craziness since 1999.

I wish I would have found this thread when I was pumping and storing! Now I know why the BM tasted so awful after such a short period of time. I thought maybe I wasn't screwing the lid on tight enough, or something. Who knew! I love this forum!

"Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds." - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Wife to my wonderful Simon
    Parenting my sweet Noah born 5.2.06 from the heart

http://www.normalizebreastfeeding.com

Hello! I am having the same problem. I have about 4 months worth of frozen "soapy" milk and the thought of discarding it makes me sick. I am a mess over it. Did you get any responses? Were you able to use the milk? I would love to hear any solutions on what to do. Thank you in advance.

Keywest mommy - welcome!

In response to what to do... pat yourself on the back for researching and finding this forum. Try to remind yourself that it is great that you are finding this now vs. four months from now. If you have to throw your stash out it is hard. I felt sick about throwing out mine for a few hours. Then I was happy about it because I was finally able to figure out why my lo was so unhappy and hadn't been drinking much. I'd be unhappy too if I drank that yuck all day. To make up for the stash I pumped some more... and longer and slowly rebuilt a nice stash. Actually I am not sure if I'll end up ever being able to use it! You can do it, you can get past this... where there is a will there is a way.

Buy a bottle warmer and a digital thermometer and happy scalding.

Caroline

Does it have to be soapy tasting?
    Does it look different? my frozen milklooks yellowish

Here's a crazy question:

What does soured milk taste like?

I don't think I have that problem -- my daughter takes expressed milk that's been in the fridge for about a day, and when I test the temp of it on my wrist I usually lick it off and it still tastes sweet.

But I'm curious to know just the same.

soured milk tastes like crap and will make u gag.
    sweet is good.

To answer the question of what the "skunky" milk tastes like -- it's kind of hard to describe. My milk didn't taste spoiled like spoiled cow's milk or anything. It definitely had a terrible, somewhat soapy smell ( it was so strong a smell I had to throw out a few Medela bottles that had held the funky milk in the fridge --don't know if it contaminated the milk but it had such a strong odor I couldn't tell if my new, scalded milk was bad or not because the bottles still smelled) and when I tasted it, it tasted like regular milk at first, slightly sweet, but then it had this terrible aftertaste that defies description. Metallicy, medicine-y, skunky -- just foul.

If you don't think you have this problem--you probably don't!

I've been building my stash back up slowly--still paranoid about the few ounces I've frozen; I'm worried that it might taste bad once thawed again and I haven't been able to bring myself to thaw one just as an experiment yet because I have so little banked up. I have tried out and had success with milk stored in the fridge once scaled -- tastes just fine, even after 5-6 days and DD has no objections.

I have been using the lexan-type Dr. Brown bottles and a First Year's bottle warmer and an instand read cooking thermometer (Taylor's? I think) and I heat it to about 175-180.

By the by, I asked a lactation consultant about this and she recommended boiling the milk, and freezing in glass bottles (neither of which I've done because my method has been working ok for me so far).