Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 303637383940

Thread: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

Default Re: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

Thank you, mtmama! I see what you are saying. May be I'll give scalding a shot and see how it goes. Sorry if you have already mentioned it somewhere and I missed it, but do you do 145F for 1 min or 163F for 15 sec? I have a Dr Brown bottle warmer, so I suppose I will have to figure out how exactly to do it in that. More work... Sigh...

My experience was that once my son was 4-5 months old, he wouldn't drink the milk anymore once it had gone "off". When he was very little, he didn't seem to notice or care. So I do think it's possible that even if she'll take the milk despite the lipase now, she may not continue to once she's older. If I were you, I'd scald any milk that you're going to freeze so you don't have to deal with that later. It would suck to have a large freezer stash and then the baby won't drink it because of the lipase issue. Scalding could avoid that situation.

Also, scalding is a pain at first but it does get better once you're used to it. Doing it with a bottle warmer really doesn't take all that long and you can do it while you're cooking or doing dishes so it doesn't take extra time. Good luck!

i did the warmer until it hit 140, removed it and let it sit for 1 min. it continues to heat so i liked that best.

i like this link:
    http://simplyrebekah.com/2010/05/03/...g-breast-milk/

Thank you, joshuas.mommy for sharing your experience. That has been my primary concern, so I'm now going to start scalding my milk right away.
    mtmama, thank you, I'll try that temp/time and see how that goes.
    I just went to Target and got a food thermometer and glass dr. Brown bottles to scald the milk in. I am so thankful for all the support and encouragement here .

I wanted to share that I originally used a glass jar for scalding, but a couple of times the glass cracked because I didn't remember that the milk was cold. It was very painful throwing the milk down the drain and I cried. Just wanted to give you a heads up. No cold milk in glass that's being boiled.

I'm sorry to hear that - that must have been painful Great piece of advice though. Thank you, I'll keep that in mind

Is it possible to have a lipase problem with a second baby after having no problems with the first? I tasted milk today and it was yucky (I wouldn't describe it as soapy) one bottle was ~4 days old and the other was 24 hrs. I'm not quite ready to be sure this is the problem, just because I really don't want to deal with it.

Also, can you donate to a milk bank if you have excess lipase?

Yes!! You can donate milk with high lipase. Do a search for local milk banks before you throw out you unscalded freezer stash. It goes to premature babies who need your breastmilk very much!!

I know this is a super old thread, but I'm in need of a little advice.
    I think we have just determined, after two weeks of daycare and very little intake, that my little one doesn't like the lipase activity in my milk. I had this with my older child, but he didn't seem to mind it. He was bottle (expressed milk) and breast fed from the start and so he just got used to it. This baby, however, was born at 27 weeks and I worked SO HARD to get her to nurse and we have been very successful. She was exclusively breastfeeding before her due date. So...she is used to fresh milk since we have been home on medical leave since she got out of the hospital.
    I have a few questions about how best to deal with this. Since she was premature, I am very afraid of losing any of the immune properties in the milk by scalding.
    Will the taste change occur faster in the fridge? If I pump in the morning, should I refrigerate that milk? Or can I leave it at room temp until she eats it, assuming that is before the time limit. I have to return at noon to the daycare most days to bring my son from preschool, so I will drop of fresh milk again. I will only scald and freeze the excess.
    Is there a recommended bottle warmer?
    Do most of you figure out when to scald, etc by trial and error or is immediately best?
    Thanks in advance!

Luckily we figured this out in time to be able to donate the last of the stash that I pumped in the NICU and after.