Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 29353637383940 LastLast

Thread: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

Default Re: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

I have had my gallbladder out also, and I have trouble with the lipase. Sounds like there could possibly be a connection?

Thank you everyone for your help! I have read this entire thread, took me a while but I didn’t want to miss anything. I have noticed that my milk will be nasty at about 24 hours too. It smells sour, not like metal. I have only tasted it one time, when my DD (she is now a year) wouldn’t finish what was in the bottle. That time it tasted kind of like metal and left the taste in my throat for quite a while. I am divorced and pump to give to my ex for his weekends. I can barely keep up, and sometimes I don’t have enough. I have not done any testing because I really don’t have the milk to test, I need every drop to even have close to enough. He has never told me that she refused any of the milk and has never complained that it was bad except for once, but that is when our relationship was much more hostile and I don’t know if he seriously tried it or smelled it and it was bad or if he was just being the jerk that he is.

So I have bought a bottle warmer, the Munchkin one, and scalded about 6 oz in total. I did not test it; I just did it last night and put it right in the freezer. When it was done ‘warming’ though, it smelled like eggs to me (I did not taste it). I do have a more sensitive sense of smell since becoming pregnant, but I was wondering if that is ok or if it got too hot or since it’s scalded, I should have nothing to worry about?? I have never really cooked milk before so I don’t even know what cow milk smells like after it’s scalded. Also, as I expected, it doesn’t really blend together like fresh does either. I guess I’m just looking for reassurance if there is anyone who sees this as to what it’s supposed to be like after heating or what might be wrong if its heated too much or too long. Thanks again to everyone!!

And OH MY GOSH, first post dated January 18th, 2006 !!!
    Last edited by @llli*mbruner; August 4th, 2012 at 12:38 PM.

hey there. i have accidentally overheated it and it was fine. just try to avoid that if you can in the future.

are you scalding, cooling then freezing or just scalding then freezing? just checking because if you dont cool first it would freeze/thaw in the freezer which you dont want.

if you are doing the bottle warmer, cooling then freezing you should be fine.

Yes cooling, then freezing. (and thank you) I have yet to figure out a 'system' because as I said, not even sure if she has refused any of it before..

are you pumping/scalding/freezing only for his weekend visits with her?

and if she is over a year you could offer cows milk if you wanted. but i understand if you just want to to have your milk, esp when she is away from you.

Yes, for his weekends only (super annoying because if it weren't for him and our situation, I wouldn't even be pumping and I hate pumping, haha, arg!) I am staying at home at the moment. She is over a year now and I do give her cow milk in a cup for lunch and dinner but she still nurses a lot. I just don't want her to wean earlier than she normally would. How we're working it is, I just send as much as I can possibly get pumped and he can 'supplement' with cow's milk for whatever I can't pump... (Like this weekend I sent 36oz and he has her for 41 hours) so??
    Last edited by @llli*mbruner; August 4th, 2012 at 08:09 PM.

its just tough being away from your lo. i can see why you want her to have your milk and bottles probably offer her the calming of sucking.

try not to worry about how much milk you send her with. you are doing a great job. maintaining your nursing relationship with her is a great thing for both of you no matter what, but esp with her having to be away.

Thanks I figured the longer I could do it for her (and me) the better, especially with the stress of switching back and forth at her age.

Hello all from New England!
    I am new to this forum but just read through the full 39 pages of this thread and am so thankful for all the advice and tips in here. I exclusively pump for DD who is now 10 weeks old and have been freezing away excess milk for quite a while now as I pump way more than she drinks. I have nearly 250oz frozen so far, and am freezing around 10-15oz each day. Last week I finally started thawing out some old milk to keep my frozen stock in rotation and DD took the milk just fine. But just recently I realized I may have excess lipase as a bottle of thawed milk smelled off. When I tasted it, the initial taste was ok, but the after taste (smelled like chemical) almost made me puke. Every bag thawed since then has been the same.

Since everyone says it is still ok to give the milk to LO, I have continued to thaw and give her at least 4oz of thawed milk every day, usually mixed half and half with freshly expressed milk. And so far she has not complained, for which I am extremely thankful. And of course I would love to stay away from scalding if I can since scalding supposedly reduces the nutritive content. Also, I start work in 10 days after which just exclusively pumping is going to be hard enough and I am afraid I may not be able to keep up with the scalding on top of that.

But my concern is whether she might start rejecting it at a later date. Has anyone experienced anything like this where baby initially took the thawed milk but started rejecting it later on? Should I just play it safe and start scalding my milk from now on? Thank you so much for any advice!!

hey there. if it were me, i would scald my frozen stash from now on. it sucks. i really hated scalding.

But if your lo does start rejecting it then it would be very frustrating.

you dont have to scald always though. maybe just scald what you end up freezing from now on and give her as much fresh unfrozen unscalded milk as possible.

i used to scald only on fridays for what i was freezing (my milk would go funky over the weekend).

i would then try to rotate out a frozen bag for monday.

sounds good that you are mixing it with fresh milk.

honestly though, if you dont want to scald then dont. sometimes i am overly paranoid. see how it goes if you want. my thought is that the baby might be more sensitive to the taste as she gets older, but really i dont know.

was that at all helpful or just me rambling