Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940 LastLast

Thread: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

Default Re: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

I've read this entire thread after finding out a couple of weeks ago that I had excess lipase in my milk and this has been so helpful to me! Thanks to all the ladies who have contributed. I am now scalding my milk using a bottle warmer, as everyone has suggested, and it's much easier than doing it on the stove.

I just wanted to add my 2 cents about something else I've discovered that seems to help with the lipase issue, in case it can help another mama. I read somewhere that the excess lipase in breastmilk gets activated by certain metal ions in unfiltered tap water and also by phosphates in dishsoap if you are washing your bottles in the dishwasher, which I was. I wish I could remember where I read this but I'm not sure anymore. Anyway they recommended rinsing all your pump parts and bottles in distilled or filtered water prior to use, to get rid of any leftover dishsoap residue and metal ions, and that this should help with the lipase issue.

I was a bit skeptical that it would make a difference but I tried it and it really seems to extend how long my milk will last before turning soapy! Before I started rinsing everything with filtered water, my milk started tasting 'off' in less than 24 hours, so I was having to scald all the milk I was giving DS since it didn't even last until the next day (and he would refuse it or take very little). Now, my milk seems to last about 36 hours before it begins to taste 'off'. This means I no longer have to scald all my milk and can feed him fresh non-scalded milk that I pumped the day before! I only scald whatever milk is not going to be used within one day, e.g. any milk I'm going to freeze I scald, or what I pump Friday I scald so it can be used on Monday. I feel much better about this since I know a lot of nutrition is lost when scalding your milk. I am so pleased to be able to provide DS with mostly fresh milk again!

Just wanted to share in case this would help another mama! I don't know if it will do the trick for everybody but it's definitely helped me.

about the dishwasher. Hand washing bottles is a major pest, especially when you EP, but it helped my milk last longer.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

@aprilsmagic--I still use the dishwasher, I just rinse the bottles twice with filtered water as I take them out. Still easier than washing by hand for me. Just an idea to save you from having to hand-wash bottles, since I know EP'ing is a ton of work!

good to know

Thank goodness for this thread! I have started rinsing everything in nursery water before using and scalding and freezing. My LO won't really take a bottle still, but we will keep trying!

I guess I'm joining this club too. It's good to see I'm not alone, but it's odd that I keep hearing how 'rare' this problem is to see all you ladies here. I want to cry right now, I feel like it's just one thing right after the other. Thanks for all the good information here and to know what people make it through )

How much extra time does it take using the bottle warmer method to scald milk, for those who do this at work?

hmm, I also just found out I can't have a bottle warmer in my classroom. Bummer.

I have had inconsistent results trying to determine if the lipase is a problem for us or nut. There are some times where she'll take a few ounces (making a sort of funny face) and other times where she won't, but it seems to happen with fresh milk as well, so it might just be her adjustment to the sippy cup.

If I'm not able to scald at work, could I combine my expressed milk with a small amount of formula to mask the taste? I read somewhere that this changes the consistency of the breast milk. Would the breast milk still contain some of it's protective properties?

Some moms pump and bring it all home to scald. It depends on how quickly the lipase enzyme works in your milk. To determine this, pump some and let it stand as you will store it at work. Taste it every hour, and it it starts tasting bad, note how many hours it took. You may find you need to go scald it in your car with a car bottle warmer at lunch, or if you can set up a warmer in the teacher's lounge, that might work, or the nurse's office. You may find you have enough time to get home to scald it all at once. The worst case scenario is it starts to turn within an hour, and then, I would set up a bottle warmer while pumping, scald while packing up and be done with it.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thanks!

Okay, so I'm going to try scalding for the first time. My plan is to heat my expressed milk in a glass bottle in the bottle warmer until it gets to 160 degrees for 15 seconds. Then remove. After that, what is the safest way to store the milk in the freezer? I usually store frozen milk in the special plastic bags. Do I need to first cool the glass with milk in an icebath before pouring the milk into a bag to store?

Second question: I'm still trying to determine whether scalding is necessary for us. My daughter has been taking the unscalded milk occasionally. She makes a face though and fusses but drinks it. If she is offered thawed unscalded breastmilk, and doesn't take it, what's the best way to temporarily store it until reoffering. Should it go back in the fridge for a few hours, or should it stay at room temp during that time? I want to keep it as okay tasting as possible.

Thank you so much for your continued help with this!