Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 37 of 40 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940 LastLast

Thread: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

Default Re: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive

my milk smells just a bit off by monday too but my son takes it. what ive been doing is scalding some on friday, freezing it and then sunday take out some frozen and putting it in a bowl in the fridge to defrost. that way i keep my freezer stash fresh by cycling some and on monday he gets some fresh from friday and some scalded frozen. i like the idea of him not getting all scalded on one day.

sounds like she may be full in the am or just not be interested in the am.

Hello ladies!
    I have also just discovered that I have the lipase issue, luckily I have found this thread. I have read through all of the posts, so I don't think I am asking a repeat question.

Once you have scalded the milk will putting it in a self-defrosting freezing cause it to taste soapy again or do I need to put it in a deep freezer? We do not have a deep freezer so just curious if any of you ladies have had issues again after it has been scalded.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*alwayslovinlife View Post
    Hello ladies!
    I have also just discovered that I have the lipase issue, luckily I have found this thread. I have read through all of the posts, so I don't think I am asking a repeat question.

Once you have scalded the milk will putting it in a self-defrosting freezing cause it to taste soapy again or do I need to put it in a deep freezer? We do not have a deep freezer so just curious if any of you ladies have had issues again after it has been scalded.

Thanks!
    Scalding then putting the milk in either freezer is fine. The deep freezer just makes the milk last longer.
    July 27 2011

Hello,

I had the high lipase problem with my first son. Now that me second son is 3.5 months old, I'm afraid it's starting to become difficult feeding him expressed milk.

My question is has anyone here found data whether high lipase levels may be due to what mothers eat? I read about soy in the beginning of this thread. Anyone else tried cutting down fats?

im not sure

Like so many other mothers, I was completely unaware of possible lipase issues until I introduced the bottle with my frozen stock and my baby refused it. Words cannot express the relief when I found this site and all of the helpful information! I felt so many of the same emotions as other moms mentioned, including frustration at not getting any heads up about this potential problem prior to expressing and freezing multiple times. When I called my local lactation consultant, she had never heard of it before! I'm going to do what I can to get the message out and hopefully save other moms from stockpiling bad milk. I'm also hoping to donate what I'm unable to use.

To add my 2 cents to the helpful information here (I apologize if this was already here and I missed it in the 37 pages ), the Munchkin bottle warmer is the way to go. We had a Tommee Tippee warmer that had an auto-shut-off feature for safety, but this did not allow the temperature to get up high enough. It took 15-20 minutes to get up to 150 degrees. We bought the (cheaper) Munchkin and scalding was done in 5 minutes. I return to work tomorrow and 5 minutes is much more agreeable than 20!

Thanks again to all who have posted on here. It seems to be one of the very few resources available!

I have been breastfeeding for 4 months and 2 weeks and I have corrected the high lipase in my breast milk. I realize that my problem might not be the same as many other cases, but I would like to share my story in case it may help any other breastfeeding moms out there. I was devastated when I realized all my milk smelled rancid at about two months. I started googling and didn’t find a lot of info on the subject. My lactation consultant hadn’t heard of it either.

Here is my story:
    I found out I was gluten intolerant about one year before I got pregnant. I was getting really bad headaches and I was very tired. A nutritionist suggested I get a stool allergy sample done. I got my results that I was intolerant to gluten (different than celiac). So, I cut gluten out of my diet and began feeling a ton better. When I was pregnant, I had read online that since your immune system is lowered during pregnancy, some may be able to eat gluten during pregnancy. So, I had a bite of bread here and there, where before I would never ever sneak a bite. I was much less stringent about my gluten free diet since I wasn’t reacting to the gluten and I was no longer getting headaches. But, my body/intestines must have been reacting. As soon as I had the baby, all my gluten intolerance symptoms came back if I had even a small bite of bread. So, I have been back on the strict no gluten diet. About two months after I gave birth, I unfroze a bag of milk I realized my milk smelled off. I then did a bunch of tests with my milk and realized it started smelling off after just one day in the fridge. So, I started scalding it, I never thought to check it again to see how long it lasted. Then, around 4 months after birth, I accidentally left a bottle of milk in the fridge when I went out of town for four days. When I came back, it smelled fine. I could not believe it. So, I left a bottle in the fridge for five days… I smelled it today and it is still good. I have not changed anything else in my diet since giving birth. I do not know if this is any other momma out there’s problem, but I just wanted to share my story. Scalding your milk is so hard when going back to work. I have done it for a month and a half. Also, there are intolerances to many foods, corn, gluten, dairy, and soy seem to be the most common. If you do get tested for allergies, get a stool test. The blood ones are not accurate unless you have full blown celiac.

Also, I did some serious googling because I had a feeling that my high lipase had something to do with intestinal damage and my gluten intolerance. I came across a study on high lipase and celiac. In the study, the people who did not stay on a strict gluten free diet had high levels of lipase. See below.

This link has some info on high lipase:
    http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/to...evated-lipase/

Here is another study that was done on celiac patients:
    Source: CLINICAL GASTROENTEROLOGY AND HEPATOLOGY 4 (4): 455-459 APR 2006

Abstract: Background & Aims: The frequency of elevated serum pancreatic enzymes in patients with celiac disease (celiac disease) is unknown. The aim of this 'study was to evaluate the serum levels of pancreatic enzymes in celiac disease patients. Methods: Serum pancreatic isoamylase and lipase levels were assayed in 90 adult and 112 pediatric consecutive celiac disease patients at diagnosis and after 12 months of gluten-free diet (GFD). Serum elastase and trypsin levels were assayed in a subgroup of adult celiac disease patients. Pancreatic ultrasonography was also performed. Results: Twenty-six adult (29%) and 29 pediatric (26%) celiac disease patients exhibited elevated values of serum pancreatic amylase and/or lipase; trypsin was elevated in 69% and elastase in 19%. The frequency of elevated serum pancreatic enzymes observed was identical in the patients with "typical" and "atypical" celiac disease symptoms and in the asymptomatic patients. Most of the elevated values were lower than 2-fold the threshold limits. Elevated pancreatic enzymes were not associated with alcohol consumption, drug use, presence of abdominal pain, or diabetes mellitus. Abdominal ultrasound scan showed no abnormal findings in the pancreatic region in any of the celiac disease patients. After 12 months of GFD, pancreatic amylase was elevated in 3 cases and lipase in 2 cases; these patients had not strictly adhered to the GFD. Conclusions: We demonstrated a frequency of about 25% of elevated pancreatic enzymes values in celiac disease patients, including subjects without gastrointestinal manifestations and apparently asymptomatic subjects. The finding of elevated serum amylase or lipase level, in the absence of signs of pancreatic disease, would appear to suggest a need to screen for celiac disease.

Again, I'm sure this isn't the answer for everyone, but hopefully this helps someone else out since there is so little information on this issue.

I'm trying to scald my milk using the munchin bottle warmer, but i'm only getting my milk up to 120 degrees and then the time goes off and the warmer shuts off. I keep turning it back on but it will auto shut off. How are all of you overriding the warmer?? I was trying to do with 3 oz of milk and using the measuring cup that it came with, i fill the water up to the A line.

I am new to this site, so forgive me if this is a repeat. I seem to have the same problem and am experimenting with scalding my milk on the stove. But, I feel like the taste of my milk is changed even just after scalding. Any recommendations?

What do you mean the taste is changed?

And 3boyz75, sorry I didn't see your question before, but I put 1/4 cup of water into the munchkin bottle warmer. Yours is turning off because it ran out of water.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months