Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 36 of 40 FirstFirst ... 26323334353637383940 LastLast

Thread: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

Default Re: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

joining the ranks of lovely ladies with excessive lipase.....have read this thread start to finish and have scoured the web for any info that can help me figure out
    how to continue to pump for my DS with milk that starts getting nasty very quickly (about 5 hrs). I have been scalding when I get home from work but my bottles pumped in the mid-morning have already taken on a slight funk and there is no way (that I can figure out) to scald at work. I have been hoping that by mixing the mildly funky milk with EBM that was immediately scalded that the funk wouldn't be too bad and since I started scalding my DS with the oh-so-refined palate hasn't been complaining. Anyway, here's my main question....I have NO freezer stash at this point b/c even with scalding (and with freshly EBM) the milk I freeze and thaw is "off" - it may taste OKAY right after thawing but quickly gets nasty. I am currently pumping each day to supply daycare the next day but can't store any for a rainy day or to get thru from Friday to Monday (currently, the scalded milk from Friday has been good enuf for DS....no complaints from daycare about him fighting the bottle). I feel so vulnerable without a freezer supply (had 300 oz before discovering lipase issue) and fear I am only one clumsily knocked over bottle away from formula each day.....sucks. Any ideas out there as to why my milk gets funky in freezer even after scalding??

Hi mama. what is you scalding method? maybe its not denaturing the enzyme? more importantly, does your lo take this milk or not? my lo takes milk i think is off. if the baby takes it no worries.

I used the bottle warmer method at work. I keep one set up at my desk, one at home. its easy. I actually started giving my lo milk not scalded because i was just so bothered by destroying some of the benefits of the milk. To my great surprise my lo took it. No more scalding during the week and my milk goes bad fast just like yours.

I still scald on friday because i dont think the milk can make it 3 days. I am doing a test of 1 oz, unscalded in the freezer. I am going to thaw it soon, have daycare give it to him and see if he takes it. we shall see...

dont stress too much about the freezer stash. I would recommend pumping an extra session each day or fitting in one on days you do not work. i do it right after the first nursing on weekends and get an extra 6-8 from sat and sun for the rest of the week.

Thanks for your quick reply Erin! I thought maybe I was a little late to the party and may not get a lot of response from my post....I was wrong! I currently scald with a pot on the stove (old fashioned, I guess). I used to wait until I saw the small bubbles, pull it off the heat, put into ice bath in pyrex measuring cup,and then store in refrigerator. I now use a digital thermometer to get it to 160+ degrees for 15-20 seconds. Interestingly, before I would have been getting the milk hotter bc at 160 or so there aren't any little bubbles yet (or very very few) so I think the test batch I froze and tasted last night (after 10 days in freezer) SHOULD have been heated to adequate temp to denature the lipase enzyme....but I guess I can't be sure. I am seriously considering the bottle warmer at work but am struggling with where and when to do it. I love my boss and coworkers but can only say they tolerate my pumping needs rather than support it.....and I don't have a private office, it is more of a community space so I am a little hesitant to heat the EBM out in the "open" and at this point feel I am racing against the clock to get my one pumping session in at work (pump before i leave in AM - then scald- and on my drive home in PM - ove my hands free bustier!) so I don't know if I can take the extra 10 min or so I would need to scald with the warmer after I pump. I guess if it doesn't need to be babysat I could clean up my pump and put myself back together while it is working.....sorry, thinking out loud here. But that doesn't fix the freezer problem....I guess I should follow your advice and pump extra so I always have a little back up in the fridge and I just would like to avoid pumping on the weekend bc I feel like I spend too much time with that pump during the week as it is!! And I just want to nurse and my milk supply has never been robust and seems quite sensitive to supply-demand issues so I like to nurse nurse nurse on the weekend to bolster my supply and unfortunately, I have found that I mis-timed pumping sessions can deplete me for hours and then I am stuck with a hungry boy and not enuf milk to satisfy him so I end up using pumped BM from the fridge and then have to pump so my boobs know to make more milk and the cycle continues....ha ha!

I will try one more test batch in freezer now that I have a thermometer and altho I can't send the frozen to daycare maybe it can be used as back-up for my husband or at home as it tastes ok (but not great) immediately after thawing.

Ok, thanks again for your response!

thank god I found this thread! My son is 21 weeks & up to this point he has almost always rejected a bottle fiercly. I didnt make a big deal about it as I am unemployed right now. I have an interview on Monday so I started looking at this forum, found this thread pulled out some frozen milke & I have this problem!! I gagged when I tasted the thawed milk, its horrible!

i would give the baby the fresh, unscalded milk from the day before. I do this and even though i think the milk tastes off my baby does not mind it.

As for the frozen, i heat 145F, remove the milk and let it sit for 1 min. try that.

the bottle warmer method is so easy. i am so grateful i found this thread too!

FYI: I was scalding on the stove top for weeks and for some reason just didn't think the bottle warmer technique was going to work as well bc I typically scald 6-8 oz at a time and would need to do two rounds with the bottle warmer to get it scalded in my medela bottles. First of all, the bottle warmer is SO MUCH EASIER for scalding than stove top and creates a lot fewer dishes! Secondly, if I use the big 9 0z Avent bottles I can scald up to 10 0z at a time. I have to stick close to the warmer bc I typically have to add a little more water at the tail end of the process but it is still so much better than staring at a pot of milk for 5-10 minutes (then pouring milk, washing pot, etc). That bottle warmer is the best thing I have purchased in a LONG time and I now plan to get another for work so I can start scalding there rather than hoping my milk keeps long enough for me to get home and do it. Yay! Things are actually getting EASIER!

Hello! I can't believe I just found this forum. I read through all 36 pages. Such great info!

My name is kalynsmom, and I think I have a lipase problem. The first step in recovery is admitting, right? So I just discovered this yesterday. DD2 (10 months old) has been on a bottle strike for 2.5 weeks. A couple days after it started we figured out she had strep. She's on her third antibiotic and will be done on Friday, but still no bottles. She is totally reverse cycling, even though she's been STTN without fail for 11 hours since she was 3 months old. We thought the bottle strike was due to the strep, but yesterday I acidentally tasted the milk in one of her bottles and it was AWFUL. I tasted the other two bottles (all frozen then thawed) and it was just as bad. The fourth bottle had "fresh" milk from Friday and it wasn't good, but not as bad as the frozen/thawed bottle. So I scalded the milk I had pumped yesterday (all within 12 hours of pumping) and sent in to DC today. I used a canning jar in a pot of water and used my meat therm to get to 160 F for 15 seconds. Today she wouldn't take the bottle. I tasted it this morning before she went in and it tasted fine. Has anyone sucessfully gotten their LO back on a bottle? FWIW, we think she has some oral aversion issues as she hated solids until pretty much the bottle strike (so 2.5 weeks ago) and doesn't put anything but her fingers (or me!) in her mouth. Ped thought she would pull a bottle strike anyway, the strep just hastened it. Ped wants to meet on Monday to discuss a feeding team (not just because of bottles, but also solids) but I would love to try and get LO back to the bottle. She never had problems with the bottle before the strep, so I think it can be done. I'm just worried that my stinky milk has totally put her off. Any thoughts? Even after scalding, can the lipase still happen? Any thoughts on causes of excess lipase? I am very bad and don't take my prenatal vitamin or DHA, etc. I don't exercise either (I KNOW!!). I nursed DD1 for 17 months and she took EBM until she was 13 months and no lipase problem - but I also pretty much used fresh milk only. I thought I was so much smarter the second time around so I've been freezing and rotating through my stash. Grrr. Also, I know I can try to donate to a milk bank (I'm in Northern VA if anyone has any suggestions) but can I also mix it with cow's milk when she turns one (if she'll take it)? I probably have between 500-700 oz of frozen milk. I was planning to HUTH at one year and just nurse when we are together. I did this with DD1 and it worked so well - I only stopped because I was pg with DD2. If anyone is still around I'd love some help!

Default Re: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive

Anyone have any experience/testing with a First Years babyPro Nursery Bottle Warmer --> http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=2403657 ??
    Specifically, how much water to use for a 5 oz Medela bottle?
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong

Hi! I do not have experience with that bottle warmer but it should be fine. the amount of water you add depends on the size of the area the bottle sits in. for me, i added very little water and the temp just would not get hight enough (145F) so i just added more water until the temp started going up enough. for me the water just sits at the bottom of the bottle. just try it out and you will figure out how much works for you.

the water will bubble which is fine, you just do not want the milk itself to bubble (should not be a concern if you are onlygoing to 145F).

this is a good LINK

Also, how long does your milk last for in the fridge. i checked mine over time and it seems ok now. i only scald when i freeze, it will last 4-5 days otherwise so my son gets fresh milk almost always.

What I pumped on Friday seemed to have a slightly funky smell/taste by Monday morning. I haven't had to dip into any frozen yet, as I get plenty of milk from 3 pumping sessions a day to be able to provide my DD with enough milk for the next day fresh. I guess I might have to either scald Friday's yield for Monday, or maybe pump on Sundays. She seems to take it, but breaks it up into 1-2oz at a time over the course of 1-2 hours in the mornings, then does better during the day. I wonder if maybe she's just still full from when she last fed from me and/or they are trying to feed her too soon at the Daycare and/or she doesn't like how they are feeding her there in the AM (ie: Temperature, position, etc.).
    She was 5# 8oz at her lowest birthweight, born one month premature, and weighs about 15# 10oz now, so I think she must be getting plenty
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong