Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 35 of 40 FirstFirst ... 25313233343536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

Default Re: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

This is a great topic! My lo hasn't taken a bottle
    and I'm going back to work in a few days. I tested some of my ebm and sure enough, smells bad in 24 hrs (smells like olives, in fact, lol). So I need to start scalding.

My question is, and maybe it was already addressed in this thread but has anyone thought about/read about/researched the possible leaching of chemicals from the plastic bottles (or storage bags, etc.) into the scalded milk? Even the ones that are BPA free can leach some level of chemicals when the liquid is that hot. This can obviously be resolved with glass, but I'd like to not buy any more supples than I have to. I only have plastic BPA free Medela bottles right now.

For a long time I used an empty glass relish jar instead of a plastic bottle. That worked great until my hubby put it directly into the ice bath. Look in your cabinet, you might have something on hand you can use with out going out to buy something.

I'm a day time pumping mom and suspect that I have high lipase in my milk as my baby has been rejecting my milk older than 1day until I had to throw away quite a few bottles. I only recently suspected as the crying has been getting worse and hed drink a few sip out of hunger and cry and cry until maybe drink an ounce or so before refusing to drink anymore.

How do you know for sure it is a lipase issue, I know we all say to taste to know for sure.
    1) I tasted milk refrigerated after 2 hours from expressing and it has a slight aftertaste as compared to freshly expressed (is this due to high lipase)? the older the milk the stronger the after taste and I gag at the ones older than 3 days. I wouldnt describe it as soapy or metalic just this stinging sensation maybe kind of sour but not so to the throat?
    2) How do other breast milk with 'normal lipase'level taste like after a few hours or days of refrigeration? Is it EXACTLY the same as freshly expressed? as I notice mine has a stronger 'milky smell' to it?
    3) My frozen EBM has a slight change in taste but hardly smells after frozen for 3 days, but those frozen for 3 weeks has this more of a fishy slightly metalicy smell/taste to it -- again how do those with normal level taste like is it exactly like freshly EBM?

In the process of scadling your breastmilk with a bottle warmer (Ive never used one before but have one), can you start of with 140 degrees or almost boiling water to be put in the warmer so the process is faster or do you start from normal tap water temp? so if I know for sure its an excess lipase issue i'll scald my frozen milk from now on (though I do not know if my baby will reject it but he doesn't even like my fresh breastmilk in the fridge older than a day so I doubt that he would take the fishy frozen ones)

Appreciate your response to this! thanks a lot!
    Last edited by @llli*thelighterlight; February 21st, 2011 at 04:23 AM.

Silly question but do you scald it in a pot or can you scald it in the bag? Do you freeze it hot or wait until its cooled down?

bump

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

I have this same problem and work 4 days a week. After doing a number of test batches I found out my milk will last for 18 hours, so I'm able to scald when I get home each night. But, before I knew this I read about scalding in a bottle warmer with a digital thermometer. The Munchkin brand (at Target) warmer doesn't have an automatic shut off and you can easily reach 180 degrees within 5 minutes. I'd go this route if you need to scald at work.

More details on this blog: http://simplyrebekah.com/2010/05/03/...g-breast-milk/

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sophiasmommie View Post
    Silly question but do you scald it in a pot or can you scald it in the bag? Do you freeze it hot or wait until its cooled down?
    Scald it in a pot or use the bottle warmer method. I would recommend putting the hot milk in an ice bath to quickly cool it before freezing it.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*thelighterlight View Post
    In the process of scadling your breastmilk with a bottle warmer (Ive never used one before but have one), can you start of with 140 degrees or almost boiling water to be put in the warmer so the process is faster or do you start from normal tap water temp?
    It certainly sounds like you have a lipase issue.

If you are using the bottle warmer method to scald your milk then you really shouldn't need to start with hot water. The process only takes a few minutes and you can do other things while your milk is heating up. That is a huge benifit of using the bottle warmer; you don't have to babysit your milk like you would if you do it on the stove.

Unhappy A Poo and Gas problem

ok please help anyone has this problem?

I too discovered an excess lipase issue and so initially I scalded it using the stove (I stopped it the moment I see tiny bubbles at the side) and froze it immediately. That was a week ago. Yesterday I took one out to defrost, thaw and warm up and no soapy taste but I realise that the colour seems weird. And there is a layer of oil on top! Anyway, I went ahead n gave it to my gal and a few hours later - she has very bad gas!! Kept crying and farting at the same time! She also kept passing motion ... I really don't know if I should even attempt this method and just give her fresh all the way or what? So that means no storage!

She is 4 months now... I can't tell it is a milk rejection period or what?

Does anyone else face this problem?
    Will it be different if I use the warmer method?

i use the bottle warmer method. its very easy. i bought a munchkin warmer,

i use the measuring cup they provide and add 2 full measuring cups of water.

once it reaches 145 i take it out, let it sit 1 min.

then pour into plastic bottle and cool in ice water, then freeze.

works well for us.

oh, i use an old smuckers jam jar as my glass jar good luck