Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 34 of 40 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

Default Re: Scalding breastmilk due to excessive Lipase

Just to be safe, I dumped it. I only had 3 bottles in the freezer. I only have glass bottles & am concerned about the hot-cold transfer. What a pain!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*zeebaby View Post
    I only have glass bottles & am concerned about the hot-cold transfer. What a pain!
    That is a pain! Did your breast pump come with any plastic storage containers? If not, then I would invest in some. It is worth it. If you don't want to scald your milk in them you can just pour the hot milk into the plastic and then put the plastic in the ice water bath. That is what I do.

I've had my glass jars crack. It is heart breaking to loose milk to a broken jar!!

I have 2 plastic bottles that came w/ the pump. Any recs on safe & easy bottles? My little girl (11 weeks old) is also resisting the bottle --to add further complication.

I don't know what I would do w/o this forum!!

Thank you so much!

Thanks for this thread. I was able to give a mom some much needed advice from it.
    Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.

Default My Experience as a Milk Donor

I am an excess lipase mom. Over the past several months, this thread has been extremly helpful to me. I have been blogging about my excess lipase journey on my site SimplyRebekah. I have a handful of posts that I have already linked to in this thread, but I wanted to share with you my most recent writings.

If you are an excess lipase mom who has a large frozen milk supply that your baby won't drink, please do NOT throw it away. Consider donating to a milk bank. I am extremly thankful that I was able to donate my milk. It was extremly healing for me in this frustrating situation.

If you are considering donation feel free to stop by my blog to read about my experience. God bless you as you breastfeed!

My Posts on Milk Donation:

Excess Lipase: My Journey to Becoming a Milk Donor

Excess Lipase: FAQ on Becoming a Milk Donor

My Previously Shared Posts on Excess Lipase:

Excess Lipase: An Introduction

Excess Lipase: An Emotional Struggle

Excess Lipase: Scalding Breast Milk
    Last edited by @llli*Rebekah42; November 29th, 2010 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Updated URLs

I have just read through all 34 pages of this thread. Wow, thank you for all the insight! I just discovered this weekend why my baby has been refusing bottles for months... my milk made me want to puke. I am currently testing expressed milk to see how long it takes before going icky. Currently I'm at 18 hours and it's starting to taste a little bad. I tasted frozen breastmilk from 2 weeks ago, and it was still good. My question is this...

I will be pumping each day at work. If I put all pumped milk in the fridge at work, then immediately freeze when I get home, and pull out to thaw in the morning so that my baby can take that milk that day, would that work? In other words, I won't scald the milk because she will consume it quickly enough. Or I could freeze for 1-2 days then thaw for daycare. I guess I will need to taste test the plan?

Those of you who had babies refusing bottles, were they scarred by this? Or do they now take bottles now that the milk tastes better?

Personally I'd scald. Freezing slows down but does not stop the lipase action. If I scald then I KNOW the EBM will be okay.

My DS1 was rejecting bottles because of the lipase yuck. Once we got that resolved he was fine with bottles until he decided to stop taking a bottle at about 13 mo.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I just got the Munchkin bottle warmer, but now have some questions...

1. Can I scald 16 ounces of milk in one batch?
    2. If not, how long does each smaller batch take?

I've just discovered the excessive lipase issue this week and have been scalding in a pyrex measuring cup in a pot of boiling water. It works, but I thought the bottle warmer would be easier and less hassle. However, I do need to do up to 16 ounces, since that's how much I pump each day at work.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jjbk View Post
    1. Can I scald 16 ounces of milk in one batch?
    2. If not, how long does each smaller batch take?
    Not sure - I don't think a bottle big enough to hold 16oz would fit into the bottle warmer.

I usually scald 3 or 4oz at a time. Takes maybe 5 min each?

What is your set up at work? Can you scald after each pumping session? So that way you'd be scalding smaller amounts at one time. Maybe start scalding in the bottle warmer and then do clean-up from pumping while its scalding?
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Thanks lsksam. I'm a teacher and have limited time to pump throughout the day, so I don't think scalding is an option while at work. Luckily my milk doesn't go icky for about 24 hours, so I can do it all when I get home. I think I'll try the bottle warmer and just do it in two batches.