Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: assumption

Default assumption

So i am assuming that b/w bf and pumping ill begin to produce more so that i can have a cushion in the freezer and getting 18-20oz wont be extremely difficult to get to for my little one? Also how long after i start pumping will i see the increase?

Default Re: assumption

Mama, are you wanting to pump 18-20 ounces per day of while you are separated from your little one? I can't remember from your other posts exactly what the duration of your workday separation will be. 18-20 ounces for the first day would seem to indicate a 12-13.5 hour separation?

Are you asking if you will be able to pump that amount between now and going back to work to get you 18-20 ounces for the first day, or are you asking if you will be able to pump that much when you are pumping instead of nursing at work, the first day back and so on?

Well both actually. Now that you mention it. now i am literally the worse person at math ever and the lactation girl i saw said the first day i need the 18-20 to be on the safe side. Here is my schedule: mondays: 9-1 tue/wed:745-6(30) and thur:645-5(30) the last 30 minutes are give and take. And of course when he is with me it will be nursing. Except for the one bottle i have his dad giving him. And right now thats a in between feeding type deal. I guess it will stay that way. Now as of right now that first monday back i will be picking him up by 130

lactation girl i saw said the first day i need the 18-20 to be on the safe side.
    too much. (First day of what?) general rule for what to leave for separations is 1 to 1 and a half ounces per hour of separation.* So If baby drinks more than 15 ounces during a 10-11 hour separation, the first step is to go over bottle feeding practices with caregiver. If in the rare case baby actually requires more than that, that will soon be evident. But there is nothing 'unsafe' about leaving, for example, 10-12 ounces for a 10 hour separation at first, until you figure out better how much baby actually requires. (Which will always vary somewhat day to day anyway.) IMO, from a breastfeeding longevity standpoint, it is much 'safer' to leave a bit LESS than baby might take than MORE.

a 4 to 5 hour separation as you have on your short days is so short you may not need to leave more than 3-5 ounces. Baby may only want one bottle. Some babies tend to sleep if away from mom, especially for shorter periods. Again, as long as baby is being bottle fed appropriately, baby will let you and caregiver know what is actually needed.

*This is assuming baby continues to nurse at night and whenever you are home as often as is typical.

In linked article, kellymom provides a calculator that does the math for you http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; December 26th, 2014 at 11:11 AM.

Well the LC asked me how often he was nursing and at the time it was every hour that is when she said 18-20oz. What type of calculation that was i have no idea. I doubt he is eating 18-20oz between that 11 hour period. I guess anything is possible. Somedays he really eats and others he will eat then maybe "snack" ill call it. Also right now he is in some weird stage so who knows what he will be doing that first day were apart.

Well the LC asked me how often he was nursing and at the time it was every hour that is when she said 18-20oz.
    But when was this? Does baby still nurse every hour, 24 hours a day?

If your baby took in 20 ounces over 10 hours, and continued to take the same amount per hour when you were home, that would add up to baby taking in 48 ounces total each day! That is way more than most babies need.

How often baby nurses is only some of the info you need anyway. A baby nurses for reasons aside from immediate hunger. Many babies do NOT request to bottle feed as often as they would nurse.

He is eating about every two hours now.

It's possible that baby just takes in small meals frequently--a perfectly normal, healthy way for a breastfed baby to eat. My daughter was a very frequent nurser when I returned to work. When we were together, I doubt we ever actually even went a whole hour without nursing! But it still didn't change the overall rule that she needed 1-1.5 oz per hour of separation. On my first day, I did leave enough for baby to have 1.5 oz per hour, but I hoped and hoped and hoped that she would do better closer to the 1-1.25 oz range, because I honestly just couldn't pump quite enough to sustain her at the 1.5 oz/hr range. She also nursed all night long, so it made sense to me that she would likely be closer to the 1-1.25 oz/hr range. Turns out, she was! We had 9-9.5 hour separations, and she pretty consistently drank 12 oz a day (which was literally EXACTLY what I pumped).

What her feeding frequency did affect, for me, is the size and number of bottles I left for her caregiver. Since she liked small amounts very frequently, I left her six bottles with about 2 oz of milk each in them.
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

Luckily the lady that will be watching my son knows a thing or two about BF since she did it herself and also has another child that she watches who is on breastmilk. Hopefully i can just get enough pumped this week to have a cushion! I feel so unorganized with pumping and like im not producing/providing enough! Its a stressor which im trying not to worry about it because then there goes the supply. Lol

Also he has recently been sick so everytime i go to pump pretty much he wants to nurse so im not getting much done it feels like.