Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: New soreness while pumping

Default New soreness while pumping

My LO is 7 months. So I breastfed while with the babe 4 days a week and every night. However I have to pump 3 days a week while at work. I have been pumping 3 times (10am, 12:30ish, 3pm) for 4 months now with no issues. This past week whenever i pump it hurts. My whole boob feels sore, espically after my 3pm pump. It feels like deep vein pain if that makes sense. Like pulling the milk ducts makes it so sore. I dont have much milk at 3pm. I have no nipple pain, have turned down the suction, no pain when breastfeeding, no lumps, and no pain from pumping when extra full like at 10am. It seems it feels sore when my boob starts to become empty even if some milk is still coming out. My period started a few weeks ago and I pumped longer and higher suction due to low milk supply. Milk supply is fine now but not my boobs! It is sore hours after pump. Anyone else have sore boobs after pumping? Am i pumping too many times a day? Should you not pump if it feels empty? Thanks!

Default Re: New soreness while pumping

seems it feels sore when my boob starts to become empty even if some milk is still coming out.
    I wonder if you need a different flange size. Many moms see the size of their breasts change at least somewhat after 3-6 months or so. Also, have you tried lowering your pump cycle setting? Your pump manufacturer should be able to provide troubleshooting tips and sizing assistance.

I pumped longer and higher suction due to low milk supply.
    This sounds like maybe you have suffered a pumping injury, as is more likely to happen if mom pumps at a too high setting or too long per session (Too long is generally anything over 30 minutes per breast, although of course this will vary mom to mom.) Deep bruising might be present even if there is no surface injury, and to me it makes sense that a deep bruise might hurt more if pumping when the breast is less 'full." In the future, if you are concerned about your milk production, I suggest find ways to increase overall pumping and nursing frequency rather than pumping longer or at a higher setting.

As far as decreasing pump frequency now, that depends on many factors, most importantly how much milk you are expressing now (more than enough to leave for baby or???) and also how long your separation is. Some moms do find they can safely decrease pumping frequency but many cannot and many actually need to increase pumping frequency. It depends on a mothers physiology more than anything else and is very individual.

Pumping should not injure you, so the frequency with which you pump is not likely to be the problem as you are pumping with entirely normal frequency.
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; February 17th, 2016 at 01:12 PM.