Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping for storage

Default Pumping for storage

How do you pump for storage exclusively? This would not be replacing a feeding...I would pump with the sole purpose of storing for a later date or emergencies. I'm just worried I'll drain my breasts too much before his next feeding. He feeds pretty much every 3 hours.

I thought of doing about 5 minutes after a feed and just combining throughout the day/week...would that work?

Default Re: Pumping for storage

One option is to pump after a morning feed, since morning is when there is the most milk. Usually it's best not to pump more than once a day in your situation (ie pumping in addition to feeding, rather than instead of feeding during a separation from baby) since that can get you into oversupply. It's fine to combine the milk, the recommendation is to combine chilled milk with chilled milk. Here are the kelly mom storage guidelines: http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/m...e/milkstorage/. You probably want to freeze no more than 3-4 oz together as that would be the most baby takes in a single feeding. The lactating breast is never empty and, therefore, you can't drain the breasts "too much." At most baby may need to nurse a bit longer, or nurse again a bit sooner than usual. Every three hours is actually quite spaced out for an EBF baby, most EBF babies will nurse 10-12 times per 24 hours or more.