Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeling Full Soon After Pumping

Default Feeling Full Soon After Pumping

Hi, I have been using a medela pump to pump in between nursing sessions if my LO (11wks) does not take both breasts and during the night when I usually wake up feeling very full and this is before she wakes up hungry or she only feeds on one breast and then I need to pump the other one. I will soon be returning to work and pumping more regularly. My question is why is that my breasts do not feel as soft after pumping and they fill back up much sooner than when I breastfeed? Am I pumping for too long (usually only 10-15 min.) or is my pump not efficient? Thanks

Default Re: Feeling Full Soon After Pumping

Pumping is less efficient than nursing so is very hard to drain the breast with a pump as well as a baby can. That said, still make sure your pump is in food working order. Flanges fit properly, membranes changed, tubes checked for holes etc.

Do you do breast compressions whike you pump? That may help empty the breast better.

No, i haven't done breast compressions while pumping but will start and see if that helps. How often should I change out the membranes? Thanks

How is ur pump output?

Breast compressions REALLY help while pumping

I have the same problem but i'm an EP mom. If, and when I feel full after pumping, I wait 30 min to an hour after and pump for 10 minutes to relieve pressure. This seems to hold me over until the next pump. I change my membranes every month. Breast compressions and a warm/hot washcloth on the breasts help.

Thanks for all of the advice. I actually have a bit of an oversupply issue. I typically pump out anywhere from 2-4 oz per breast depending on the time of day.

Yup def oversupply issue
    Well, I agree that baby is way better at extracting milk than the pump is, ive seen that time n time again w my kids
    Do u wait for a second letdown or even a third one? I can get 3 letdowns in one session
    Sounds like u doing great otherwise so keep it up

Why are you pumping? There are different reasons to pump and different ways to pump for the desired effect.
    For instance, if you are pumping to increase supply it is good to pump after feeds as frequently as possible. If you are pumping to relieve pressure (for comfort) it is best to pump just a tiny bit or better yet hand express just to comfort otherwise you are signaling your body to make more which can exacerbate the issue. If you are pumping to create a freezer stash you might consider pumping just once a day usually the morning to impact supply as little as possible while still storing enough for the first day back to work with maybe just a bit extra just in case. Remember you will pump at work your first day back for the next day.http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/
    Kellymom.com is a great resource for many bfing topics too.

You can also encourage baby to nurse more frequently overall if the reason for pumping is feeling full in between nursing sessions.

If you think your pump is not working correctly, talk to the manufacturer. Pumps are machines and can and do have mechanical issues that are not always obvious. You want to be very sure pump is in excellent working condition before you return to work.

It is also possible that some of what you are feeling after pumping is edema. Pumps extract milk completely differently than a baby does, and they can pull fluid into the tissues of the areola or front of the breast making mom feel more "full." Make sure your pump flange fits correctly and pump at the lowest setting that is effective (and, of course, comfortable) to decrease this possible issue.
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; July 27th, 2015 at 07:57 PM.

Thanks for the resource. I usually pump for comfort and get 2-3 let downs. My LO typically stretches about 4-5 hours at night without waking to eat and I end up waking up feeling extremely full. She usually only feeds from one breast during this early morning feeding (4/5am) and I end up needing to relieve the opposite breast and sometimes pump the breast she feeds from because its still full after she eats since it was so full to begin with and she doesn't always drain it all. I know going 5 hours without feeding/pumping isn't good but I didn't want to add a pump session and exacerbate the problem. Will my night time production calm down overtime as she continues to have nights that stretch this length of time?