Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Just went back to work!

Default Just went back to work!

Hi everyone! I am a first time mom and have exclusively breastfed my 2.5 month old daughter since she was born. I went back to work yesterday. Before that, I fed on demand and she had the occasional bottle of expressed milk from my husband or my mom.

She has done great nursing. She eats every 2-3 hours during the day and has gained weight like a champ! She started sleeping 8-12 hours through the night a couple of weeks ago!

I have 7-hour work days. I usually nurse her right before I go to work and then she stays with either my husband or my mom. She has 3 four-ounce bottles while I'm at work.

My concern is pumping at work. I really have only been able to pump twice a day while I'm at work. I know that ideally I should pump as many times as the baby eats while I'm gone, but between the two sessions I get about 14 oz, which leaves me a little surplus. Will pumping like this maintain my supply provided I drain my breasts very well at each session? If not, is there anything else I can do, besides pump more? I honestly don't think I could fit another session in.

I have a fairly substantial freezer stash, but I'm worried about it dwindling if my supply drops. I'd really like to give her breast milk for at least a year. Thanks I'm advance for your help!

Default Re: Just went back to work!

Matching your number of pumps to the number of times your baby eats is a rough guideline that will not apply in all situations. Some moms will need to pump less often than their babies nurse, some more often. Luckily, you are currently in the former camp. Keep aiming to drain yourself as well as possible, and you may be able to maintain that state of affairs. If not, you will need to dip into your stash and start increasing your number of pump sessions. Those sessions do not necessarily need to take place at work; a lot of moms pump in the evening after their babies go to bed, or in the middle of the night, or in the morning after they nurse, or on their commute, etc.

Since you're expressing and storing extra milk, are you periodically testing for lipase issues?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for the reply! I started doing morning & evening pump sessions before I went back to work, so I have just kept doing them and have frozen the milk. I haven't specifically checked for lipase issues, but we try to rotate the frozen milk out regularly and haven't noticed any issues so far.

Great! Sounds like you're doing everything just right. If you're not already doing this, I would add one single, simple step, which is to periodically taste-test the older milk. That way if a lipase issue does crop up, you will know. Of course, it might not even matter! A lot of babies don't mind the taste of lipase-effected milk.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Awesome! Thank you so much for the reassurance. It is greatly appreciated