Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Oversupply

Default Oversupply

My newborn daughter is 5 weeks now and is having problems. First the Dr. diagnosed her with Colic and then Reflux. I don't think it's either one. I think it's oversupply of milk. My breasts get very heavy and full very quickly and when my milk lets down it sprays. She eats for about 5 minutes and then comes off and just cries. As soon as I let her eat again, she stops crying. But then pops off and cries again after a minute.

I'm looking for any suggestions or just some other moms who have dealt with this sort of thing. Anything will help at this point. Frustration has kicked in!

Default Re: Oversupply

I have an EXTREMELY fast let down, as well. My son did the exact same thing as you are describing, but it was colic. And when he latched off hed scream for three or four hours, I found pumping the milk when he latched off, (so my milk supply would keep up) and the doing whatever I could to settle him and get him to sleep. Once he was asleep for a good 15 mins, Id gently wake him just enough so he could eat... this way he is relaxed, and settled down and not so tensed up.... It was a VERY hard time and I thought many times to give up... but hes now almost 8 months old and nursing wonderfully.... just keep at it, I know its hard, it lasted about 2 months or so with Noah

am not much help but it can very well be over supply how are her poo diapers? are they green? foamy, frothy? Thats a sign of over supply.
    this link should help you determine if it could be http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html
    I would also try posting in too much milk forum alot of moms suffer from oversupply and post many good suggestions on how to control it.

Here are a few things I did to help my oversupply. It did reduce but I got mastitis in the process (because I DRASTICALLY reduced pumping... do it gradually, instead!!) Hope you are able to get some help from it:

Only use one breast per feeding.
    Return baby to same breast for multiple feedings.
    Only pump enough to feel comfortable when necessary in other breast(careful, though, don't want to get mastitis or nasty clog so pump enough to get some relief but don't need to drain fully with pump)
    Allow let-down to spray into burp cloth or cloth diaper until it stops and then offer again to baby.
    Lay back and let baby be "on top" so that gravity reduces flow.

Maybe try just one or two of these things and see. Good luck, HTH!

you could have an over active let down. I would try hand expressing a little until your breasts are a little softer and you are no longer "spraying" and then nurse. Also, burp her a little more often. like after ten minutes (unless she seems fine) Sometime over active letdown will cause a baby to "gulp" and then they will take in a lot of air and have gas.

I am also a big fan of "one side at one session" where you don't switch sides during a single nursing session. The formilk has more lactose, which can put too much lactose into the babies bowels. Hindmilk is fattier and comes out after the formilk, has less lactose.

The formilk quinches thirst the hindmilk feeds the appetite. (formilk is ice tea, hind milk is steak and salad )

I am having a similar, but it sounds like not quite as severe, problem with my 6 week old. I found that when she cries I burp her for a while -- up to 10 minutes, while letting my milk spray into a burp cloth. I usually get a burp from her, even if it takes 10 minutes!!! This seems to help her a lot and then she eats without too much fuss.

I asked a nurse about this and her opinion was that my baby girl will eventually learn how to handle the let down. I hope so! I am just so grateful that I am making enough milk, although it kills me when she coughs and chokes...

Hang in there.