Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why does juice get such a bad rap?

Default Why does juice get such a bad rap?

OK, what’s so wrong with juice? It’s not like I’m giving DS that crap with only 10% real fruit juice. He drinks about 8oz of V8 Fusion a day. It provides a full serving of both fruits and veggies along with a great source of Vitamins A, C, E, iron, folic acid and calcium and magnesium. How is that “empty calories”? And, those of you against giving juice – do you also not give fruit? Forgive my ignorance but what’s the difference if it’s 100% juice?

I’m sorry if I sound defensive….. I have had moms IRL make unsolicited comments to me when they see DS has juice in his sippy cup. I’m doing the best I can to give him the nutrients he needs. DS is a TERRIBLE eater. He wouldn’t eat ANY solid food until he was 14.5 mos old. Keeping weight on him has been a challenge. He will ONLY eat hotdogs, olives and green beans and an assortment of whole grain crackers/cereals. That’s really the only foods he has ever accepted despite my offering something new (and nutrient dense) EVERYDAY. What am I supposed to do?

BTW, he still nurses 4X a day so I know he’s getting good stuff from me, but we’re on the verge of cutting another nursing session out as he goes down to 1 dap a day.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

Default Re: Why does juice get such a bad rap?

I know all my friends grew up drinking kool-aid and sodas. When we were drinking only juice. We all turned out fine. I will definitely be giving my son juices when he gets older. I do mostly water w a bit of juice now once in a while. I just read something that the sugary juice drinks are the problem not the real fresh juices.
    C:\Documents and Settings\David Lawrence\My Documents\My Pictures\DSC00970.jpg
    Mommy to Alexander
    Born Oct 6,2006

though it's natural fruit sugar, it still affects insulin and blood sugar levels. 100% fruit juice is much better than fake flavored drinks, but too much juice can be bad for your body. A little a day, though, should be fine.
    The difference between juices and real fruit is the fiber. That lets the body absorb it more gradually and prevents the blood sugar spike. It provides a longer lasting more constant energy to the body. Also, you can chug 10 oz of juice much more quickly than you can eat a 4oz apple, so it's easier to take in many more calories.
    hth
    Stefanie, momma to

deacon james 09.22.06

That's a good question! I try to give Mylee juice diluted of course but she won't even take that. She did for a brief moment but not anymore. She still nurses from me non-stop all day all night so I'm not too worried about it. I guess alot of mom's don't like the juice idea bc of the sugar content but you can find some without so much. I don't know but I give her what I feel is ok for her to have. A friend of mine gives her 2 yr. old soda all the time, one time I was talking to her at 11 at night and I heard her dd crying and asked her why was she upset she said becuz she just finished all her soda and then proceeded to yell at her for not going to sleep. So when I think back to that time I'm like juice..... eh no biggie.
    My name is Rosie and I'm a mother to 3 girls and 2 boys

My girls:Janessa 10.30.93, Reanna 03.25.99 and Mylee 09.20.06
    My sons, Isaiah 07.16.97 and Shawn 09.12.08

I think there's something to it along the lines of it being healthier to eat the fruit instead of just drinking the juice - lots of extra sugar in juice, not a lot of fiber? I don't know - my kids are neutral about juice. I've offered them a variety of different ones. I think it's more important that kids get exposed to a variety of different tastes and textures. Juice isn't something they get every day, but I don't think there's anything wrong with it either.

Quote Originally Posted by mooose5 View Post
    though it's natural fruit sugar, it still affects insulin and blood sugar levels. 100% fruit juice is much better than fake flavored drinks, but too much juice can be bad for your body. A little a day, though, should be fine.
    The difference between juices and real fruit is the fiber. That lets the body absorb it more gradually and prevents the blood sugar spike. It provides a longer lasting more constant energy to the body. Also, you can chug 10 oz of juice much more quickly than you can eat a 4oz apple, so it's easier to take in many more calories.
    hth

Although I think the more pulp the better!
    The other issue is having sugar in relatively constant contact with the child's teeth, i.e. if the child is carrying around a sippy full of juice all day. I'm not saying that's you!
    Our kids drink some juice, split half/half with water. If they are going to be carrying a drink around and sipping on it for a while, though, it's usually water, like on a really hot day or something (remember my kids are older).
    If you are being smart about when/how you serve juice, you shouldn't feel bad. I'd say just don't overdo it.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Thank you for the replies. The fiber arguement makes a lot of sense. I do worry about bathing DSs teeth in fruit juice but, at this time, I feel like I'm choosing the lesser of 2 evils. I know if I had a kid that ate a variety of nutritious foods I would cut out the juice and just give water - maybe someday....

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

What about smoothies? Mmmmm...now I want one. If he can use a straw that might be a good idea.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

dr sears has a good page about juice on his web site.
    It talks about what kinds to serve and what to watch on the labels.
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/t043200.asp

I'd also guess that the V8 fusion has some more nutrients in it than just, say plain apple juice? I don't know I've never really looked at it, but I would think adding some vegetable juice would make it better.