Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ? about age

Default ? about age

This may have already been asked. At what age are you gonna stop feeding/ is there an age that is just too old....

this link brought up the ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxv6R9fUO74
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Default Re: ? about age

im thinking of stopping bf at about a yr...i aliyahs 7mo now so i have still some time

I think it is the mother's choice. I am thinking about stopping somewhere between 2-3 years but my logic says biologically, i.e in terms of the need for the immunological benefits of BM for the child, up to 5 years old is normal. After that child's immune system is fully developed so what is the point?

TM is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I'm also thinking of stopping at a year,we will see what Taylor thinks about that. She usually gets her way.

When DD was 6 months, I still thought I'd want to stop at a year. I remember one day sitting down to nurse her and thinking to myself "I've made it halfway; just 6 more months to go!"

When 1 year came, though, it was clear to me that not only was my one-year-old still a baby, but also that she still needed nursing for nutrition, comfort and sleep. I will probably guide weaning eventually through don't offer/don't refuse, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

As it stands right now, I don't think I want her to still be nursing at 4, but that could all change as the relationship grows. I also wouldn't be torn up if she self-weaned this year, though I'd like her to continue. I guess that while I love our nursing relationship, I know it will end and we'll still have this amazing, wonderful bond and closeness. Bf'ing has shaped the way I parent but it doesn't define my parenthood.

Ok, sorry for the tangential rambling.

I had originally planned to stop at a year, but once I researched the benefits of bfing beyond one and realized how important it is to me, I changed my mind. I have no specific time frame in mind. However my dd seems to be losing interest, so we'll see how long we last. We're down to only a few nursing sessions a day. But I've heard of lots of babies who go for years with only 1/2 sessions a day, so I have hope!
    Bee- proud mama to Maggie, 6/12/06 and Maya, 10/15/08

I plan on stopping when DS decides that he is ready. I plan to set "limits"... well, when I become uncomfortable NIP or he becomes too rowdy. I'm just playing it by ear really. We don't NIP much now at 12 months because he's usually satisfied until we get home with food.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

it may change but i plan on partially weaning at one year. but thats if he still wants to nurse i suppose, i read about so many babies who love to nurse and honestly caden couldnt care less where he gets his food from as long as he gets it

DD is 25 months and shows no real intrest in weaning. We are ttc #2 in Sept or Oct and I have heard that some babies self wean when their mother gets pregnant again. I have no plans to wean and am curious to see if we can tandem nurse.

Quote Originally Posted by *MaggieMay* View Post
    I had originally planned to stop at a year, but once I researched the benefits of bfing beyond one and realized how important it is to me, I changed my mind.
    Still has lots of benefits to mom and baby! I don't know what my "upper limit" is though. I didn't look at the link but I'm guesing it was the 8 year old??
    I don't think I want to tandem nurse so I'm kind of hoping to gently wean my DD before the baby comes next spring. I'm hoping she'll self-wean but we'll see. No plan right now.
    I say just keep an open mind. I never thought I would be nursing a 2 year old, and my DD will be 2 next month!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on