Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Newbie question

Default Newbie question

My daughter is a week old and has been eating well. I would like to start pumping so I can let her father feed her. I was wondering when exactly is the best time to pump. I've heard in the morning is best. Does it really matter? Thanks for helping the newbie!

Default Re: Newbie question

Unless you absolutely have to, I would hold off pumping and feeding via bottles until your lo is older, around 6-8 weeks old. I know dads can start to feel left out of the game, but you need to work on establishing your nursing relationship and milk supply before using alternate feeding methods.

To answer you question about best time of day to pump, my milk supply is always highest first thing in the morning.

Default Re: Newbie question

Quote Originally Posted by lizziesmom View Post
    My daughter is a week old and has been eating well.
    Congrats!

It's great that she's nursing well.

Quote Originally Posted by lizziesmom View Post
    I would like to start pumping so I can let her father feed her. I was wondering when exactly is the best time to pump. I've heard in the morning is best. Does it really matter?
    Morning does work best for many mothers.

Your baby is only one week old. My best suggestion is to hold off at least until baby is at least 3 weeks. One week is still a little early to add bottles unless it is medically neccessary. At 3 weeks it will be more likely that your milk production levels are "set" and your baby is nursing well.

There are TONS of ways that dad can help (and bond with baby) without ever having to offer a bottle. Bathing, diapering, massaging, rocking baby while you shower, getting you something to drink while you nurse, sitting beside you while you nurse, burping baby, dressing baby, ect. Here's some info:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/dad.html