Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Continuing pumping after one year

Default Continuing pumping after one year

My DS and I made it past the one year mark!!! Whoohoo! I'm so excited, I feel like I have earned my black belt. Best yet, we're still going!

I would love to pump wean, but the thought of weaning to cow's milk just doesn't appeal to me yet. Also, after months of struggling with the bottle, my son has really set his routine with two bottles a day while I'm at work. I'm hoping he'll drop to one pretty soon, as he weans down to one nap. When that happens I'd be down to one pump a day and frankly I can live with that for as long as he needs it.

So, here are my questions.
    - Am I insane to think of following a natural weaning while I pump and work outside the home?
    - Are there other mommies doing this, how has it worked out?
    - Will I still be pumping in two years if I just follow LO's lead?
    - Did you switch to a cup instead of a bottle at some point for daycare? When did you do so?

TIA
    Last edited by LunaticLibrarian; August 5th, 2007 at 09:13 PM.

My Little Reverse Cyclers
    *DS born July 2006, nursed 3 yrs 10 mos!
    *DD born January 2011, happily nursing and bucking the bottle just like big brother
    *One Angel baby we sadly never met July 2009

Happily married to an amazing man who puts up with all my craziness since 1999.

Default Re: Continuing pumping after one year

My ds is 17mo and I still pump. He can't have cow or soy milk so I feel I have no choice. Daycare asked us to transition to sippy cups around 1 year and now the only bottle he gets is the one night a week when I work late and daddy has to put him to bed. He gets ebm in his oatmeal in the morning and takes about 1 sippy cup per day of it. I get about 12 oz total from 3 pumping sessions during the day. I would LOVE to pump wean, but with his allergies, I'm afraid to. On the weekends, he hardly nurses during the day, Maybe once in the morning, once in the afternoon and once to go to sleep at night (oh yeah, and then all frigging night like always). I make his cereal with water on the weekends! Let us know if you pump wean--- I'd love to know how it works.

Maybe once in the morning, once in the afternoon and once to go to sleep at night (oh yeah, and then all frigging night like always)
    Just had to laugh out loud at that one, I had no idea what Reverse Cycling was. Well I know now!!! People seem so shocked my LO still nurses at night.

My Little Reverse Cyclers
    *DS born July 2006, nursed 3 yrs 10 mos!
    *DD born January 2011, happily nursing and bucking the bottle just like big brother
    *One Angel baby we sadly never met July 2009

Happily married to an amazing man who puts up with all my craziness since 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by LunaticLibrarian View Post
    - Am I insane to think of following a natural weaning while I pump and work outside the home?
    - Did you switch to a cup instead of a bottle at some point for daycare? When did you do so?
    My DS also just turned one!

I'd LOVE to pump wean, but DS seems to have a cow milk intolerance, so it looks like I'll be pumping for awhile yet. I've posted more about this here.

I'm fortunate to have a supportive boss, DH and family so I don't anticipate any problems from work or home with me continuing to pump. I was pretty excited about pump weaning, so my biggest challenge right now is getting my head back in a good place about continuing to pump.

No clue how long I'll still be pumping at work. I don't have a philosophical problem with cow milk, so if my DS is able to drink it in the future I'll happily transition him to cow milk during the day. Or - once DS is getting most of his nutrition from solids I'll think about having him drink water at day care. For us, much of this depends on what DS doctor says and DS future reaction to cow milk.

DS will be starting at a new school at the end of the month. For their toddler room (12 to 24 mo) they want the kids using some sort of sippy cup and not bottles. My DS drinks water or juice from several different types of sippy cups, but we haven't yet tried EBM in a sippy cup. DH will be working with DS over the next couple of weeks to start practicing drinking EBM from a sippy cup. So far, I think DS favorite sippy cup is the nuby with two handles.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by LunaticLibrarian View Post
    My DS and I made it past the one year mark!!! Whoohoo! I'm so excited, I feel like I have earned my black belt. Best yet, we're still going!

I would love to pump wean, but the thought of weaning to cow's milk just doesn't appeal to me yet. Also, after months of struggling with the bottle, my son has really set his routine with two bottles a day while I'm at work. I'm hoping he'll drop to one pretty soon, as he weans down to one nap. When that happens I'd be down to one pump a day and frankly I can live with that for as long as he needs it.

TIA
    No, you are not insane.
    I pump weaned shortly after one year, so I can't say.
    You can always choose to pump wean later! It's up to you whether to introduce cow's milk or whatever during the day.
    DD started refusing the bottle at 10-11 mos. old. So we didn't really have a choice. She wouldn't take much ebm in a sippy either so it wasn't tough to decide to pump wean.

Sorry, I don't know how much any of that helps but that was my experience!
    I don't think you should pump wean if you don't want to. Maybe try "weaning" him to one bottle a day and go down to one pumping session a day like you said. Sounds like a good plan to me.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Quote Originally Posted by lsksam View Post
    My DS also just turned one!

I'd LOVE to pump wean, but DS seems to have a cow milk intolerance, so it looks like I'll be pumping for awhile yet. I've posted more about this here.

I'm fortunate to have a supportive boss, DH and family so I don't anticipate any problems from work or home with me continuing to pump. I was pretty excited about pump weaning, so my biggest challenge right now is getting my head back in a good place about continuing to pump.

No clue how long I'll still be pumping at work. I don't have a philosophical problem with cow milk, so if my DS is able to drink it in the future I'll happily transition him to cow milk during the day. Or - once DS is getting most of his nutrition from solids I'll think about having him drink water at day care. For us, much of this depends on what DS doctor says and DS future reaction to cow milk.

DS will be starting at a new school at the end of the month. For their toddler room (12 to 24 mo) they want the kids using some sort of sippy cup and not bottles. My DS drinks water or juice from several different types of sippy cups, but we haven't yet tried EBM in a sippy cup. DH will be working with DS over the next couple of weeks to start practicing drinking EBM from a sippy cup. So far, I think DS favorite sippy cup is the nuby with two handles.
    I wrote an extensive opinion for you last night and then lost it when my internet connection went down. Will do it again tonight.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Quote Originally Posted by mothersky View Post
    I wrote an extensive opinion for you last night and then lost it when my internet connection went down. Will do it again tonight.
    Thanks Tiffony!

Lynn
    Lynn

Update - we tried EBM in a sippy cup tonight and DS did great - about 3 oz total. He even drank EBM out of the sippy with me around, which was a big surprise.
    Lynn

Update - we tried EBM in a sippy cup tonight and DS did great - about 3 oz total. He even drank EBM out of the sippy with me around, which was a big surprise.
    YAY Sam!!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on