Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What to expect after c-section?

Default Re: What to expect after c-section?

Agree with what the pp's said! It's not difficult to establish your bf relationship, even with a c-section. Our problem was not the c-section, but latch issues. I did supplement a couple of times at the hospital, because I didn't want DD to be too hungry, but once I got home I exclusively bf-ed her (thanks to a nipple shield), and didn't need to supplement at all.

Also, with the pain meds... take them if you need them! For a while I didn't (I was labeled "the mom who refused meds" by the nurses ) but eventually gave in. I'm glad I did, it really helped. I had darvocet to take home, but didn't finish them; I only took them every once in a while if the pain got too bad.

Good luck!

Thanks for all the support and response. beyond my expectation.

I really hope this works out. My mil is against bf but I told her I will be pumping so she, my dh, my mom...will be able to feed her. I know the moms are working on a schedule to help me with the baby while dh is home (who will take care of dd1 and ds).

I am taking my laptop with me in case I need more help. I do not have lll person to help me but I do have a lc on hand if I need her. She does in home visits for a big price. I think I wall make a few calls to a lll group in my area this week.

thanks now just to hear from the dr office on the soild yes or no on saturday and it better be yes...LOL

how exciting...
    I would just tell my mil that she would be able to bond with the baby in diffent way then feeding.
    She can hold the baby, give the baby a bath, do things for older kids,
    do things for hubby so he can spend more time with you.
    go to the store. Anything but feed!
    You can do it this time.

Unless you absolutely have to, I would hold off on pumping and feeding via bottles until your milk supply and breastfeeding relationship is well established, usually about 6-8 weeks. As the pp said, MIL can bond with baby in other ways.

Quote Originally Posted by ykelly1 View Post
    Unless you absolutely have to, I would hold off on pumping and feeding via bottles until your milk supply and breastfeeding relationship is well established, usually about 6-8 weeks. As the pp said, MIL can bond with baby in other ways.
    ITA
    You need to have this conversation with your MIL NOW. She needs to understand that feeding the baby is your SOLE responsibility, at least for awhile. I wish I had explained to my MIL "the rules" before I had DS; it would have avoided a lot of tension in the beginning. You are the mommy and she needs to support YOUR decision to BF, regardless of her feelings about it.

You CAN do this if you set your mind to it and only accept success. Don't let others undermine your confidence and intuition.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

Oh, I forgot to mention getting your LO bare skin and latched on as soon as you can after your section. My nurses where great with this, it was less than 30 minutes after he was 'delivered' and he was in his birthday suit and on my chest to latch. They did all the fussing with bath and getting him dressed after we had our first chance to bond and have him nurse.

My Little Reverse Cyclers
    *DS born July 2006, nursed 3 yrs 10 mos!
    *DD born January 2011, happily nursing and bucking the bottle just like big brother
    *One Angel baby we sadly never met July 2009

Happily married to an amazing man who puts up with all my craziness since 1999.

Just a little different perspective, which you hopefully won't need. I had a c-section and because of some medical issues we were not able to have Thomas in our room or, in fact, to be with him more than a few minutes at a time for several days, even for nursing. For that reason I wasn't able to nurse for several days, and my pump was a lifesaver. I started pumping the day after he was born (he was put on my breast immediately after birth, before they were finished sewing me up ), and the nursery gave him colostrum, and then breastmilk, in a bottle. Eventually we were able to go to him and use the pumping room for nursing, which was wonderful. They gave him a pacifier, and obviously bottles, and we have never had a problem with any confusion. He has latched well from the beginning. Hopefully you won't have to deal with anything other than your "basic" recovery, but if unforseen things happen, don't panic, and don't worry that your nursing relationship will suffer. Your baby is going to prefer you--you're the mama!

Good luck so exciting. I'm just here to reiterate that if not medically necessary TRY NOT TO FEED W BOTTLES. Its walking a dangerous line and although some babies can go from breast to bottle with no problems some cant very well. I pumped early on and cant really remember why but my dd developed nipple confusion. She is now three months old and although much better we are still struggling at times. They need to be close to you at this time, Everyone else can bond in other ways they need to help you and the babes. I wish someone had advised me of this sooner. Good luck and share with us when the lo is born! btw I had a c section and my milk came in on day three no supplements, your body does what is needed you just need to make sure you can have you baby at the breast at all times
    My little May baby just turned THE BIG ONE!
    Formally known as kaykate23

I had an emergency c-section in the middle of the night and there were a couple things that I wish that I had done differently. First of all, I hardly saw my daughter before they took her away, and then I didn't get to see her for over 3 hours to try to nurse. I also didn't know how numb I would be, I could hardly move my arms and I couldn't move my legs, after 30 hours of labor it was really confusing. If I had known that it was normal, that it would pass, I would have felt a lot better. I didn't push the buzzer for the nurse because I didn't want to bother them, but I should have, a conversation about how I was feeling and how badly I wanted to see the baby should have been my priority. (I don't know if you'll have the same numbness.)

I told everyone no bottles, no pacifiers, but she was given both which added to my feeling of being out of control. I was really worried about nipple confusion. That's the extent of the bad side, the baby latched on as if she had been doing it for years and my milk came in the evening that I came home. I was surprised how much better I felt, recovery wise, everyday. After a week I felt so much better and after three I felt 100%. She's 2 months now, and I feel lucky that (once out of the hospital) I've gotten to bf exclusively.

If you have not already, I'd talk to your doc about when you'll get to see/hold/nurse your baby. Best of luck!

That's a good point by the previous poster--talk to your doctor and tell him or her what you want. My doctor knew that I wanted Thomas to nurse immediately, c-section or not, and although usually their policy is to wait until the mom is in recovery, he made sure that happened for us. We were pretty unhappy after our tour of the hospital with what were described to us as "policies", but at my next appointment we talked with my doctor about our concerns, and found that he did everything he could to make sure things were the way we wanted. And he made sure that we knew that regardless of "hospital policy", we were the parents, and our decisions were final. Knowing we had his support helped me not to worry (too much ), and we were pleasantly surprised by how much support we got from the staff when they saw that we were firm about our decisions.