Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help with Crying...

Default Help with Crying...

Hi there, can you help me out here? My newborn son cries during most of his waking moments... I'm trying to figure out what's wrong. He sleeps really well at night. We co-sleep and he sleeps back to back usually only waking all the way once... he nurses about every 2 hours... I do have an overactive letdown but I can't think that would cause all the crying. He just seems so sad and he's crying so much during the day. He does get stiff and straight like a board at times... but he doesn't seem to spit-up all that much. But at times he gets hicuppy, big forcerful ones. Could this be a dairy allergy? Just colic? Oh his poops are a nice healthy mustard yellow.. Help if you can! I'm dying here wanting to help him...

TIA...

This is what I'm trying:

sling - love it, use a hotsling AND a bjorn but my body is really sore from using the sling...
    block nursing - but then I started pumping and it seemed to mess everything up but I have to build a milk stash
    mylecon drops - sort of seem to help but not really
    gripe water - doesn't really help

Is this reflux? Or just overactive letdown? Or both? I am planning on calling his doctor tomorrow.

Default Re: Help with Crying...

Hello fellow mommy of a Cooper!

While I am no expert, my guess would be colic. My ped said that breastfed babies can have colic, even though people say that they dont get that way. when my son was young, he would cry for hours at night time, and I could not figure out why. Then suddenly, when he turned three months old, he stopped. So my guess is that he will grow out of it, but when is anyones guess. I think it is a good idea that you are checking in with his Dr. Better to be safe than sorry right! I wish you luck, and I wish I had more advice
    Take care, and hang in there!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

My son would cry hysterically from birth. I thought it may be colic but I ruled that one out bc he wouldn't cry at certain periods of the day. He was always a good sleeper at night. He's 6 months now he's still a cry baby. He doesn't cry as much though. You may just have a high maintenance baby. Just make sure your there for your baby. My son would even cry after he was hungry but I knew he was getting enough from his diaper output. He now weighs 20 lbs 10 oz. Again it may not be due to a milk allergy. HTH
    Last edited by NNEKA72083; August 5th, 2007 at 07:14 PM.

I had the same problem...at 3 months it dissapeared. I thought it was reflux, but I think it was more gas and overstimulation than anything. I too had/have an overactive letdown. He didn't cry enough to be called a colicky baby. I feel your pain. My LO is 4 months, but it seems like literally yesterday we were going through that...I felt so bad because I couldn't help him. Just make sure you tell your doctor about things you are concerned about, just incase. But most likely it's something that's not anything to worry about...and something the doctors won't be able to help you a lot with medically. Just make sure you give yourself a break and comfort your little one...even though it seems uneffective at times.

Sounds as if you're doing the right thing! I think that calling the pedi + all your great efforts will pay off in the long run.

My LO screamed all the time from about 3 weeks on and we did put him on the reflux meds and he is like a different baby.

It does get easier, babies sure take us for a ride though ha ha!!!

BTW I see you're into babywearing. I seriously think that is the only thing that got me through these last 2 months and you should check out the babywearing forums on here. There are a lot of options out there if you're sore from the sling and bjorn that you have! I still wear my baby for a few hours each day and always have that to rely on if he's being nuts for w/e reason.

Keep us posted on what the pedi says and there are tons of people on here that are going through/went through the same thing you are and can offer you lots of support and ideas!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Thank you so much! I sure hope he's not just high maintenance - that would be so hard. It's nicer to think this is something that time or maybe medicine can help... I have an appointment for him today at 10:50, so I'll let you know what the doctor says.