Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: do u wash/wipe nipple

Default do u wash/wipe nipple

Hiya
    sometimes I wipe nipple or rinse my nipple before feeding LO. but most times i dont.
    I always wear nursing pads and if the pad is soaked i try to rinse nipple before feeds.
    Are there any 'rules' about this?

Default Re: do u wash/wipe nipple

I don't think there is any rule. I never wash or wipe my nipples before feedings. I just wash them once a day before I go to bed.

There's no need to rinse unless you just want to. Your areolae (dark area around your nipples) are lubricated with an antibacterial substance via the Montgomery glands. In other words, your nipples are self cleaning.

I don't do anything different, just a normal shower every day. I think the only time I wiped off my nipples was because I had dirt on them from doing some messy yard work that stuck all over my skin.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

In the shower I only rinse with water. Soap dries the sensitive skin. There is never a "need" to rinse off before nursing. Your glands do that work for you. Even if you have on Lanisoh, Nystatin, 3x nipple cream for thrush, etc, etc,.....It's all good
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

yep, what everyone else said.

I shower and rinse them with warm water and thats it!

oh cool info about self cleaning nipples. thanks...wow - God is sure god at design...though i do question the wisdom of the proximity of orifices of the nether regions...