Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new here

Default new here

Hi,
    I am new here. I just delivered a baby boy on 7/24. My baby has just come home 2 days ago. I have been pumping and trying to nurse for the last 8 days. One of my friends says if the baby does not nurse, my milk supply will stop at some point. Is this true? I was hoping to pump regularly and bottle feed him if he doesn't take the breast.
    Thanks!
    cheruka

Default Re: new here

There are TONS of ladies who pump and feed exclusively.

If you scroll down the forum list, there is a forum just about pumping.

Whether you feed directly only, pump only or do some combination thereof - you are giving your baby a great start by giving breastmilk!
    Last edited by syn_ack89; August 5th, 2007 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Info about pumping forum
    Dana
    Wife to Jonathan Edward, 3/29/2002
    Mother of Alexander "Lex" Edward, 3/4/2007
    Attachment Parenting - it's not what you do, it's why you do it.
    Breastfeeding
    Co-Sleeping
    Wearing Lex as often as possible
    Daytime cloth diaperer, nighttime sposie user

Smile Re: new here

How can we help? There are lots of Mom's here who went through a rough start( myself included) Ask us anythng --- the women here are full of wisdom and support

Mama to DD Mariah 04/03 2lbs 8oz BF 2yrs 1 day!
    DS Ryan 07/06 4lbs 15 oz No solids until 18 mo's!
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" Gandhi

Welcome and congrats on your baby!!!!
    As the previous poster wrote we would love to offer advise on helping you get your baby to the breast if that is how you would like to feed. Or you can contact your local LLL and see if the leader can come to your home. You can absolutely pump exclusivly. Please don't hesitate to ask questions. There isn't anything your going through that somebody else didn't also experience that is on this forum.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Hi Cheruka

You absolutely can pump and bottlefeed, as the PPs pointed out. It sounds like you are still trying to get him to the breast though. What kind of issues are you having?
    Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Thanks for the kind welcome.
    Well, we have had some complications with my baby not breathing very well for 4 days. He was on a ventilator and got used to feeding by the tube. Then they tried to teach him how to breast feed by keeping him off of the bottle. I had to intervene and bring him home because I was discharged after 4 days following a c-section and they kept my baby at the hospital. I had to no place to go to at the hospital to rest/ relax/pump at the hospital. So, we agreed for a challenge test during which he fed on my pumped milk+formula by the bottle for 12 hrs. He passed the test and I brought him home. Now I am on my own to teach him breast feeding. Here are my issues:
    -He falls asleep at the breast.
    -If I massage my breast while he suckles, he stays on it longer. But my arms hurt after a while.
    -He has trouble latching on the smaller right breast.
    Thanks!

he is young yet, he will get the hang of it..
    Do call your local leader and get some help!
    most babies will fall asleep at the breast its very comforting to them.
    How many wets and poops is baby having in 24 hours?
    thats the way to know if baby is getting the milk they need.

How do I find the local leader's phone #? Is there any charge for this service? I change diapers several times. So, I am sure he is getting enough. I forgot to mention that he is on 50-50 formula and breast milk. I am 12 days postpartum.

look in the green bar in the top and then you can choose a country and then your state... and then your area..
    if you don't have somebody local there is an 1800 number you can call.
    No charge to call a leader or go to meetings. They are both free.
    Is he nursing any at the breast?
    That would be great.. Sometimes it just takes babies who have a rough start longer.
    How many times in 24 hours is baby nursing?
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBearlyweeks.html

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html

1-877-4-laleche