Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby refusing solids - help please

Default Baby refusing solids - help please

I know I haven't introduced myself here yet, but I have a question. I haven't really been concerned because all she needs is my milk, but I am starting to be concerned. I have exclusively breastfed my twins since birth. They were born at 38 weeks gest. and were 7lbs, 7oz & 7lbs, 11oz. My ds was a boob man all the way. My dd loved bottles (suppimented maybe 6 oz of EBM) during the first week). I was worried that when it came to introducing solids, she would get it and he would have issues. Was I ever wrong! We started cereal/veggies at 6 months. They are 9½ months old now. She started out just great, but after about a month, she stopped eating all solids. She first would refuse to open her mouth and then now she will open her mouth like she is hungry, but then push it ALL out with her tongue. I try about once a week because I feel it is useless to try daily. It is frustrating for me. My ds on the other hand gobbles everything right up. I make my own baby food, but have offered store bought stuff also.
    Any hints? I know they only need my milk until they are a year old, but it just doesn't seem like she's 'getting it.' I still have issues with them not sleepnig through the night. Lots of them! Sometimes I can get a little banana in her, but very minimal. I appreciate any help that might be offered. Thank you very much!

Default Re: Baby refusing solids - help please

First of all I would like to congratulate you on breastfeeding twins for so long, that is awesome. I know it must have been a challenge. My son is 9 mos. old. He took awhile to get accustomed to solids and spit them out the first month or so. We started cereal at 6 mos. He wouldn't eat it at all plain, so I mixed applesauce and he ate it up, now we are into veggies, fruit and oatmeal. We worked our way up very slowly. I don't know all the details on what you are doing and what you are comfortable with doing. But, if you are wanting her to eat solids better try feeding her before a nursing session or between sessions. I did this for awhile to get Justice into eating solids then switched it back to nursing first and feeding solids second. Try going back to her favorite foods for a little while until she goes back to accepting solids again. Justice's favorite food is sweet potatoes mixed with applesauce.

With the sleeping through the night thing-what are your issues? I did the cry it out solution with Justice at 3 mos. (no more than 20 min. at a time) and got him to sleep through the night and worked my way up to having him fuss to go down at night and at naptime so that now he goes down on his own without me rocking him or nursing him. Now, he normally goes down without protesting, but occasionally he'll fuss for a few min. It might be more challenging with twins I would imagine.

Hi there! Congrats on your babies! Please know that many many babies do exactly what your dd is doing and it is completely normal. Any food besides BM in the first year of life really is secondary and is just for them to explore. If she is gaining fine, having the right amount of output, and is healthy and happy then I would not worry about it. The wonderful thing about twins is when you have 2 babies like yours that can be so different at different times in their development. Really makes you wonder "what if I would have just had ds 1st?" "Or what if I had dd 1st?" Really makes you realize just how different every baby is. I bet that she will surprise you one day and start eating like crazy. My ds is a lot like that. Sometimes he is interested and sometimes not. Really makes me thankful that I am still nursing him. ( he will be 1 tomorrow! ) About the sleeping through the night, a great book that I am reading right now is the No Cry Sleep Solution, a really easy read that should help you a lot. Also know that sleeping issues are not unusual either. Take comfort in knowing that even though it is hard everything that you described is very normal behavior for your little ones. I like to think of them as " Healthy milestones"

Thank you for your responses! You are right, it is difficult not to compare the two. My ds did not like anything 'artificial' and he took to solids like bees on honey. I do know that my dd is getting enough milk, but sometimes it seems like she needs more. Her output is very runny messy diapers. Not formed at all. I did mention that to the ped. at her last appt. and he didn't seem to think anything of it, at least he never said anything. Lately though, in the evenings, it is difficult to nurse her. I know they get distracted a lot, so getting distractions down to a minimum is a challenge. She slept through the night for about a month back around 1½ months old. Other than that, it is generally up every 3 hours. She drinks a lot generally during the night also. She is my 'chunk.' I can't say that she had a 'favorite food' when she was eating solids. She didn't mind rice cereal and didn't exactly care for peas, but she ate them. Now you cannot even put sweet applesauce through her lips... they come right back out. It's as if it's a reflex. Thank you again. I really haven't been too concerned about it, but it is just very frustrating for me.

My son is the same age as your little ones (born July 22, in fact!). He never liked babyfood much, but has recently started to refuse it all together. He will, however, eat food he can feed himself (finger foods, etc.). Maybe try some of them?

She doesn't grasp the hand/mouth thing yet. She has eaten some gerber puffs, but the last time I tried, she spit them out. Thank you. I've tried giving her a teething biscuit too... didn't work too well.

i think you just have to keep trying. my dd (9.5 months) did the same thing for the first 6 weeks we gave her solids. now she gobbles everything, even peas and green beans!

we've moved onto finger foods and have been trying to get her to eat cheerios and pieces of wheat bread. finally, just last night, she just got it! she picked up the bread and put it into her mouth with a big smile! but it took us about six weeks of just trying every meal to get her to put hand to mouth.

they'll "get it" once they're ready.

Jackie
    Wow! I so admire you for bf your twins. My twins are 7 and they were 5lbs 4oz, and 4lbs 2ozs at birth. I tried to bf, but wasn't successful, so I pumped for 2 months. I so wanted to bf them, but it didn't happen. Of course, had I known then what I know now, I could have done it, but I guess that's just life! I just wanted to congratulate you on your accomplishment! I have a singleton now! It's a new world! She is ebf, so I finally got to experience bfeeding...love it!

Thank you Treba.. we've been very blessed!

I have twins that I'm BFing as well. They're 8.5 months old now. One of mine (initially the bad latcher) will eat anything you put in his mouth. The other has never eaten a bite I've fed him. Like one of the above posters, I finally tried finger foods and he's actually the better eater. He eats banana, avacado, squash, pasta, cheerios and more. Still, If I bring a spoon of even any of the above to his lips he purses them. No way is anything getting in there. What happens if you leave a couple cheerios on her tray?