Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Many questions

Default Many questions

My baby is 2 wks old on Thurs. He is using a nipple shield, and we wake him every 2 hrs during the day to feed, though at night he seems like he can't get enough. He wants to eat constantly, and I can't take the lack of sleep. He will only be content for 30-40 min, and wants breast again at night. We had given him formula due to jaundice after feedings only for a few days, but now have been giving 2 oz at night to try and get at least 2 hrs of sleep at a time. Tryed pumping today and will give that tonight instead of formula. Any suggestions are welcome. I don't know what to do. Please help my figure this out. BTW he is gaining weight very well. babies crying Got to go....

Default Re: Many questions

Congratulations on the new arrival!
    Sounds like he has his days and nights a little mixed up. My daughter was like that at first. I know it seems like it is never going to end, but it will, I promise.

Has the Dr. told you to wake the baby every two hours to eat? If he is gaining weight and has plenty of wet/poopy diapers, you might not have to do that anymore...

I used a nipple shield with DD for a few months, and she nursed all of the time! After I was able to get her off of it she nursed in less then half of the time, and less often.

I have used the nipple shield without any problems. I agree he may have his nights and days confused. Maybe try waking and feeding him even more frequently during the day so that he hopefully will sleep more during the night. Also, have you tried nursing while laying down. This really helps if you can get the hang of it. Some mothers keep their baby latched on all night long. I was never able to accomplish this, though!
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

Thanks for your responses! I am just feeling like I am in over my head at times. I wonder if anything I am doing is right, ya know. Like should I be feeding him so often during the day(every 2 hrs), am I going to have trouble getting him off of the nipple shield (he flattens my nipple when he latches, and that's why we tried the shield) It's been working great though, and his weight gain is above average. I just feel at night as though he can't be "pleased". When and how do you get your baby to get the days and nights figured out? How did you try to stop using the shield, or is it okay to use it forever? How often should you feed baby? If you pump and give EBM how much should you give baby? Like I pumped 2 oz, is that a sufficient amt for a feeding? How do you get baby comfortable in other positions, I have been doing football, and he can't seem to do cradle or laying down. I had a 4th degree episiotomy and tore, so laying would be ideal, but instead I sit and suffer! I wanted to ask all this in my first post, but LO just had to have boob NOW, so sorry this is so long this time. Thank you for any help! I am really wanting to breastfeed successfully. I just feel at night like I am screwing everything up.

Hi there!

Congratulations on your new baby!

I'm a little confused by your post. You say you are waking baby every 2 hours to feed? Can I ask you how you decided to do this?

Your baby should be going to the breast 8-12 times or more per 24 hours. He should be fed when he "cues" or "demands" to be fed--signs include rooting, sucking on fists, rapid eye movement. Crying is a late hunger cue, so don't let baby cry to be fed. You may find that your baby wants to eat very frequently during one time of day and sleep a longer stretch during another time of day. As long as the overall number of feeds is at least 8, then don't worry about waking him up to feed.

If the nipple shield is working for you at the moment and he is gaining well with it, then don't stress. You'll be able to eventually wean him off.

You mention that you'd like to nurse lying down (which would be very helpful for you at night!)--I suggest you strip to your waist, strip baby down to a diaper and take him to bed with you. Put him next to you where he can easily access the breast and see if he'll find his own way. Many babies "fight" a proper latch when they are awake (and hungry!) but will latch well when they are drowsy. This might also help you wean from the nipple shield.

Is this your first baby? If you have no other children to care for during the day, you might find it helpful to just lay down and rest whenever baby sleeps during the day. It does get easier! Your bottom will heal, you and baby will get better at nursing, baby will fall into a more predictable routine.

Hang in there mama!
    Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

How do you get baby comfortable in other positions, I have been doing football, and he can't seem to do cradle or laying down.
    Latch him on in the football position, the lean back and roll on your side to get to lying down. I took some photos of this. I'll post them when I'm done bfing and trying to type with one finger.

Promise you won't look at my belly

Start latched on in football hold:

Lean back:

Start to roll:

And you'll be lying down:

It will get easier. It was a coupleweeks before we figured out the football hold! Do you have a boppy pillow? That helped a lot at first.

Thanks for the pics! very helpful! i will be trying that next feeding!

To PP asking about why we feed every 2 hrs during day... we do feed when baby cues, but if he has been sleeping more than that during day, we wake him to feed, hoping that the more he consumes during the day the less he may need at night. since night time is when he seems like he can't get enough, we hoped we might off set it.

How did you try to stop using the shield, or is it okay to use it forever?
    www.kellymom.com is a great site to check out for lots of BF answers. I still use a nipple shield; however many people wean off of it at various times.

You may find that your baby wants to eat very frequently during one time of day and sleep a longer stretch during another time of day. As long as the overall number of feeds is at least 8, then don't worry about waking him up to feed.
    I suggested waking more frequently during the day because it sounds like your lo has his days and nights mixed up. maybe if he is up more during the day then he will sleep more at night. This is just a suggestion, I am not an expert (although sometimes I act like it ).

Like should I be feeding him so often during the day(every 2 hrs)
    In the begining babies do eat frequently. Every two hours does not seem excessive to me. In the begining my DD would nurse for about 40 minutes every couple of hours, so I only had maybe an hour free. During that hour I usually had to keep her latched on or she would get grumpy! It does get a lot easier though.

If you pump and give EBM how much should you give baby? Like I pumped 2 oz, is that a sufficient amt for a feeding?
    Each baby is different. You will just need to try it out. My DD ate about 2 ounce bottles in the begining then moved to 3-4 ounces after a month or two and now at 9 months eats 5 ounces. Babies have a strong suck reflex, so they may eat from a bottle if it is offered simply because they want to suck even though they may not be hungry.

How do you get baby comfortable in other positions, I have been doing football, and he can't seem to do cradle or laying down.
    The football hold was easiest for us and is the one we still use the most! It just takes some practice with the others. I really could not do the laying down one until about 3 months, but I did not practice it much either until then. I try to have DD tummy to tummy when in the side laying position and she has her head tilted back a little.
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)