Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: question about those little fiesty hands

Default question about those little fiesty hands

right now they are in the way and fighting me. but what i am wondering (and forgive me if this is stupid)...with my other babies that took the bottle, at some point they started holding the bottle themselves a little bit. Is there an age that the baby starts to use those fighting hands to help himself, like with latching and supporting the breast through the feeding? Or do those little guys always fight and pull and need to be tucked away by mom?

Default Re: question about those little fiesty hands

I work full-time so my LO breatsfeeds and takes bottles during the day. He definitely takes things "into his own hands" now. I don't think he tries to hold the bottle, but then again, I don't give him a bottle when I'm with him. He definitely tries to attack my boob as soon as he is in the position.

He's gotten into this habit where he pinches my boob! I have to hold his hand so he doesn't do it! I think he's trying to do some sort of kneading thing, but he pinches instead. OWW!

I work full-time so my LO breatsfeeds and takes bottles during the day. He definitely takes things "into his own hands" now. I don't think he tries to hold the bottle, but then again, I don't give him a bottle when I'm with him. He definitely tries to attack my boob as soon as he is in the position.

He's gotten into this habit where he pinches my boob! I have to hold his hand so he doesn't do it! I think he's trying to do some sort of kneading thing, but he pinches instead. OWW!

My DS now grabs my breast with both hands (gently) and gets himself and the breast positioned for latching on. The other night at bedtime I was trying to help by holding my breast for him and DS smacked my hand away with a look that just screamed "no - I can do it myself!!" DS was so serious I had a hard time not laughing. And then I had to explain to DH what the stifled giggles were all about.

It can help if you give your LO something to play with. Some moms use nursing necklaces for LO to play with. My DS likes playing with my shirt or the clasp on my bra.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

ohhh i wonder if that's what my 8 week old is doing - trying to help her self latch on. funny seeing this post today as i have been 'wrestling' with my lo at latch on times - especially when i feed lying down

ha ha DS1 used to "prime" the other nipple that he was not nursing on! This helps the letdown on the breast they are nursing on! Smart cookies, breastfed babies!!
    Betsy
    mama to:
    N 5/03
    J 6/07