Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is this normal?

Default Is this normal?

Hello. DD is 20 mos and must nurse 20 times a day. From readings on these boards that seems like a lot. She doesn't have any nursing schedule except for maybe morning, naptime, bedtime, and 3-4 times a night. The other 10-15 sessions are mixed in between at various times. She may come up and nurse for a minute or two, then get back down and play for 5 minutes and then come back and nurse again for 5 minutes. I hate to say it, but it is getting to be a little too much for me. She normally eats "pretty good" so I don't think that it is because she is hungry - although the past week she hasn't eaten much at all because she is cutting her two top canines. It is hard to "cut-out" sessions since she really doesn't have any kind of schedule, and also won't take no for an answer. It's really bad if I have something I'm cooking on the stove and she wants to nurse - it is almost impossible to distract her! I only work about 12-15 hours a week and spend lots of time with her so I don't think that's it. Even if I sit down on the couch to read books and spend time with her it's like she has to have my boob in her mouth. In the morning after we come downstairs from a 30 min session, sometimes she wants to hop right back on instead of play. Otherwise she is a very happy healthy baby, who loves to socialize and play (no fear/very independent - will walk away from me at a party without looking back!) Any advice would be appreciated! -Christina
    Last edited by CMLMOORE; August 5th, 2007 at 04:50 AM.

Default Re: Is this normal?

You might find the book, How Weaning Happens to be helpful. I think it's completely understandable that you would like the reduce the number of nursing sessions. Mothering Your Nursing Toddler might also help you understand what's going on developmentally and how that can impact nursing.

its ok to set limits at that age.
    how does she do when you are out?
    Thoose were the first limits I started setting with my dd.
    When we are out you cann't nurse but as soon as we get home thats fine.
    IT helps them learn to wait. And if you keep your word they learn to trust too that if they wait they can get what they want.
    wean slowly with love.
    don't offer don't refuse works well for some mothers.
    I agree check out thoose books the pp is talking about, and if you don't a have local LLL group, check that out too.
    A leader can tell you more, and can help.

Thanks. She does "ok" while we are out. Most of the time she is pretty distracted, but if she is tired or doesn't feel good she is known to cause a scene when I say "no, and tell her she has to wait to nurse until when we get home/ in the car.) I am just glad she can't say boob yet - when she wants to nurse she yells boo-boos at the top of her lungs!

SOme kids nursing is just very important too..
    Have you tried just talking to her and telling her how you feal..
    sometimes they can understand alot more then we think they can.

My son started cutting some new teeth in the last two weeks and he's doing the same thing. It's to the point that my supply has gone up again. He has cut back on eating solids and I figure it must be more comfortable to drink than to eat.

I don't usually set limits with when and where he nurses and after reading this thread I'm wondering if I should be and if there is any harm to not setting a limits?

Although he doesn't ask very much when we're out in public, but does ask when we're at a friends house.

What do you all think?

Our lo's are about the same age. I don't have any systematic plan to set limits, but there are times when he wants to nurse and if he just did (usually when it was less than an hour ago), I sometimes offer him food instead or try to distract him. He won't nurse when we are out, so that's not really an issue for us. As long as it's working for both of you, I don't think you have to set limits. I would guess you probably have asked your lo to wait at one time or another even if you aren't conscious of setting limits.