Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pump weaning - help needed

Default pump weaning - help needed

My LO turned 1 year at the end of July (almost 2 weeks ago) and I would really like to be able to pump wean and continue BF in the morning / evening and on the weekends.

My dilemma is that:
    - DS isn't eating alot of solids (he eats lots of fruit and not much of anything else),
    - after previously getting a contact rash from yogurt I very cautiously offered DS cow milk today ... and while DS seemed interested in drinking the "cow juice" he got a contact rash on his face and neck where the cow milk touched so I am not offering cow milk again until after I can talk with his pediatrician, and
    - DS is so tiny he's barely on the charts (16 lbs 4 oz at his 12 mo checkup).

DS has still been taking about 8 to 10 oz EBM at day care. I had hoped that by now DS would be eating enough solids and/or able to drink cows milk so that I could pump wean ... but my gut and heart say that that DS really needs the calories and fat he's getting from EBM and I'm very worried about the impact on his health if he doesn't get EBM without a good substitute drink (or alot more solids).

I'm feeling pretty stuck.

Any suggestions? Is it worth trying DS out on rice milk? The rice milk calories seem ok, but it is so much less fat than EBM or cow milk.

Thanks!
    Lynn
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Default Re: pump weaning - help needed

I would love to be able to help, but I did not have any of these same issues when I pump weaned. What about the allergy forum??

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Quote Originally Posted by mollyb View Post
    What about the allergy forum??
    Thanks for the suggestion - I'll post over there asking about alternatives to cow milk.

Whatcha doing here on a weekend???
    Lynn

Well ... the wonderful mammas on the allergy part of the forums say that soy milk or rice milk isn't a good alternative. If I really wanted to pump wean then perhaps some of the formulas that are good for allergy babies.

But having made it past a year of BF and pumping and DS doing well on my breastmilk, the idea of switching DS to formula just doesn't appeal to me. So I'm trying to get DS an appointment with a pediatric allergist to get a better idea of what's going on, and in the mean time I'll "suck it up" and try to think happy thoughts about pumping.

Fortunately I've got wonderful support from my DH, family, and boss. I had been looking forward to starting to pump wean so it's mostly me needing to get my head back in a good place.
    Lynn

Quote Originally Posted by lsksam View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion - I'll post over there asking about alternatives to cow milk.

Whatcha doing here on a weekend???
    LOL I couldn't help myself from checking in to see if there was any news from Christy. And then I couldn't help but check the rest of the posts quickly.

I'm glad you got some answers from the "allergy" ladies!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Sorry I coudln't pipe in with anything...we pump-weaned when I got pregnant. I would have kept going, though, for a little bit. I stopped at about 14 months, and had cut out 1 of my 3 sessions. Glad to hear you are seeing an allergist though, and maybe you can get some clear answers!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Thanks Erin! I'm doing better now that I've readjusted my expectations of when I could pack up the pump. We have an appointment with a pediatric allergist next week. And DS did great drinking EBM from a sippy cup tonight for the first time - which is great because the toddler room at day care prefers the kids to be off bottles.
    Lynn